Navistar Plans to Cut Jobs

kscarbel

Transport Topics / August 9, 2013

Navistar International Corp. plans to cut “a few hundred” jobs by early September in a move to reduce costs.

The truck and engine maker is still working to determine the exact number of jobs that will be cut, Navistar spokeswoman Elissa Maurer told Transport Topics.

Maurer would not specify exactly where the cuts will take place, but said they will be mainly in North America. It also could potentially cut about 140 contractors, Maurer added.

“This has not been an easy decision, but it’s something that’s necessary,” Maurer said. “We’ve done the right things, but we need to do them better and faster.”

The cuts were announced via an internal letter to employees from CEO Troy Clarke and Chief Operating Officer Jack Allen.

Navistar has about 15,000 employees globally, including about 3,000 at its Lisle, Ill., headquarters.

Navistar’s market share in the Class 8 truck business declined after its previous engine technology failed to meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2010 emissions standards.

The company has been transitioning its heavy-duty trucks to engines with selective catalytic reduction, the same technology used by all of its competitors to meet federal requirements.

So KS-much discussion about Cat trucks- these are built in which plant? what is the Navistar content percentage in these trucks???

I can't believe they will survive.

Garland (the former Marmon truck plant) has been closed, with CAT truck production shifted to Escobedo, Mexico.

Garland's last day was March 30, 2013.

George Taylor, director of Cat's Global On-Highway Truck Group, said of the Escobedo plant "It's an ISO plant and produces some of the best quality".

Apparently, Mr. Taylor appears to be saying that Mexican plants have better quality than U.S. plants. Not much patriotism there from an American and an American company.

• 3 months later...

Internationals were a very popular truck make up in my area because they were built in Chatham, ont. for 70 years, but a few years ago Navistar closed the plant and I think it's under demolition now or very soon. One trucking company based right around the corner bought Internationals forever I see they have a Volvo or two in the fleet now. The closure of the Chatham plant also closed all the supplier plants down in the area and made it a ghost town. As for those Cat trucks we have two of them where I work and everyone hates them they are just garbage. They're ugly inside and out they ride as rough as they look and they spend more time in the shop then they do working. If you want an International buy an international not a cat we all like our new Granites we have over the cats.

• Like 1