Ford Mediums

Red Horse

So KSC, any industry intelligence on just what Ford is doing? If they truly are bringing the 650/750 back to the US (Avon Lake Ohio) as they agreed in last UAW contract talks, shouldn't we be seeing some sort of activity???

Their YTD sales are up in 6/7 but I don't see any. There is an Altec bucket lift plant near me and their lot is full of F-550's awaiting installs but the class 7's are virtually all F-liners with a few Interntionals in the mix.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

At this point, we know that Ford announced medium truck production will transfer to Avon Lake in 2014.

At this point, I doubt that medium truck sales are a high priority at Ford. They're no longer a high volume segment for the company, and I doubt the business is particularly profitable. Looking at the big Ford truck picture, I'm sure that Ford Brazil and Ford Ottosan (Turkey) are much more profitable that the modest quantity of F-650s and F-750s that are sold annually in North America. But if Ford was to get back into the heavy truck business, things could get interesting.

Selling off the HN80 range, all-new cutting edge heavy trucks that had what it took to make Ford a serious player again, was surely one of the company's most poorly calculated business moves.

At this point, we know that Ford announced medium truck production will transfer to Avon Lake in 2014.

At this point, I doubt that medium truck sales are a high priority at Ford. They're no longer a high volume segment for the company, and I doubt the business is particularly profitable. Looking at the big Ford truck picture, I'm sure that Ford Brazil and Ford Ottosan (Turkey) are much more profitable that the modest quantity of F-650s and F-750s that are sold annually in North America. But if Ford was to get back into the heavy truck business, things could get interesting.

Selling off the HN80 range, all-new cutting edge heavy trucks that had what it took to make Ford a serious player again, was surely one of the company's most poorly calculated business moves.

Well I think Bill Ford has been quoted as saying they want to be in the big truck business-better that he is saying that vs.."not our core business".

Also remember when they were in it, they were a solid player with 8-10% in class 8 and usually around 20% of 7? Of course they had a broad product line then. What they offer today is very basic. And I still say, the increasing use of intermodal freight, will change the market for class 8's. there will always be a market for 500 HP "Large cars" but the bigger market I would bet will be the lower end of the scale as you will be looking at a basic tractor that goes from the rail yard to a distribution/break bulk terminal-short miles.

ITS harder to get to get good CDL drivers so the towns are going to save pay and equipment . They are towns in New England that still used 60-70s equipment and buy MACKS from other towns.to help with snow removal.

Agree on some towns buying used BIG trucks. But I woujld say more and more towns in this area are buying one tons or at max, 550's. I'm sure the CDL issue is part of it but given the capability say of a 550, it can do the job. think of a Ford F-600 or C-65 Chevy of the 60's. What did it have for HP and Torque? 200 and 300 ft lbs? Now a 19,500 gvw 550 with a P-Stroke is what 400HP and 700 ft lbs???

I would think that if Ford wanted out of the medium duty truck market, the breakup of the "Blue Diamond" partnership would have been a good excuse to leave the business. That Ford is willing to invest in new

tooling at Avon Lake to produce F-650 and F-750 chassis says that they must want to stay in this segment. Of course, stranger things have happened over the years, e.g. the HN80.

A public works department near me is buying F-250, F-550, and F-650s with CNG conversions; they even have a Transit Connect running on CNG.

bulldogboy

Ford had a good vocational truck with the old Louisville line, damn near every town and the state had a ton of them as 6 wheelers pushing plows and running sanders. Half the oil and gas companies ran them because you could order it as a gas job and run propane, and they held up well if you washed them. Damn shame they sold the heavy line off in 99/2000.

Ford had a good vocational truck with the old Louisville line, damn near every town and the state had a ton of them as 6 wheelers pushing plows and running sanders. Half the oil and gas companies ran them because you could order it as a gas job and run propane, and they held up well if you washed them. Damn shame they sold the heavy line off in 99/2000.

For sure on that- I'll bet between the LN-8000 and the C series they had more than half of the home heating oil business here in the Northeast