Superliner Rad Shutter ? Parts inquiry?

Hey there!!

I gotta Superliner rebuild going on and i am currently in need of some help with regards to the rad shutter!! The shutter was seized up so i had too dissasemble and repowder coat frame supports and strip fins! Upon dissasembly the plastic dowels that support the fins in the centre have broken as well as the plastic control rods on the ends of fins have broken as well ! I only need a few of these delicate parts just curious if anyone has had any luck sourcing these rare items??? Or if anyone has a used shutter for sale i could use for parts that would even be better came out of 1988!! I contacted my dealer said they would have too have one built for big money made me puke when he told me price i live in ontario and no junkyards have superliners kicking around!!! Any help on sourcing these parts would be great thanks Kyle!!

WTF are you talking about?

Rad Shutters are a northern thing David. It's just a bunch of aluminum flaps mounted in a frame on the font of the rad and when it is fridgide cold and a diesel engine won't warm up there is a stat and air valve and cylinder that opens and closes the shutters to help keep heat in the rad regulated to keep the engine warm. they used to be really common up here but now most guys put a blanket on the grill with the new trucks. you guys probably never seen them in the south.

Shutters pretty much went away with the introduction of chassis mounted charge air coolers. They were great for warming up an engine but the newer high compression engines needed intercooling to keep temps in check so they did more harm than good.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

crap, wasnt done, you could still get a set of shutters as an option from most manufacturers on up into the 90's, we had a few Blue Bird buses with them even though they had 8.3 Cummins with charge air cooling. The big difference was that there was a switch for cold weather operation in the cab or a valve or switch mounted near the shutters to keep them open (spring open air close) during warm weather to keep the egt's down.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 4 weeks later...