Need quote to move a GM Fishbowl bus from Perris,California to Delmont,Pa

You need the weight, overall length, overall height and and the wheelbase to help accurately gage what it will take to move it, I would guess its an old city bus being a gmc fishbowl Im guessing 96" wide 10' tall and 35' long but that is again a guess. I dont know it may fit on the bottom deck of a stepdeck and that would be the way to get it back if you could theres plenty of step decks out there, Im thinking a std 48' step deck is 38-42" tall to the lower deck and there should be 10-12' of upper deck so that makes it 36-38' of lower deck to get the bus on, and if it hangs over tha back your still ok if it doesnt hang too far to make it over length. I would guess that would be the cheapest way to get it back too, then you just have to find somewhere to unload it onto a dock by driving it off or use some blocking and ramps to keep it from high centering.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

You need the weight, overall length, overall height and and the wheelbase to help accurately gage what it will take to move it, I would guess its an old city bus being a gmc fishbowl Im guessing 96" wide 10' tall and 35' long but that is again a guess. I dont know it may fit on the bottom deck of a stepdeck and that would be the way to get it back if you could theres plenty of step decks out there, Im thinking a std 48' step deck is 38-42" tall to the lower deck and there should be 10-12' of upper deck so that makes it 36-38' of lower deck to get the bus on, and if it hangs over tha back your still ok if it doesnt hang too far to make it over length. I would guess that would be the cheapest way to get it back too, then you just have to find somewhere to unload it onto a dock by driving it off or use some blocking and ramps to keep it from high centering.

Yep I mean hell you got the money I can and will get it on my wagon with half a tree for ramping.It won't be pretty but hell it will ride

There's one for sale on epay right now, I'd guess 40 feet long or so.

Taking it off of a drop deck wouldn't be a problem, I'd have Watts use their wrecker or my old B61 wrecker to carry it to the end, then drive the trailer out from under it. Loading it there wouldn't be that easy I'd suppose.

I really think those things are really cool, but can't find one more locally.

Tim

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

84 superdog's on the money. You will also need to measure the overhang front and rear, center of axle to bumper that way you know if you can move it front or back to put with something else on the trailer. I don't go to CA but I would think your looking at 6000.00 or more just a guess.

One thing about a rear engine transit bus, they are actually fairly well balanced because the engine is behind the rear axle and the fuel tank is behind the front axle, I would guess it weights about 24-26,000 empty that right in there with a 40' Blue Bird. It should go on the lower deck and leave the upper deck for a partial but I doubt you could get anything else on the bottom with it, I would load it backwards just because out of fuel and no driver the rear axle will be about 2,000 heavier than the front so your weight should be good, then just load a partial on top and rock on back. Ray I think California would put up a road block and not even let you enter to turn around running a Mack V8 truck, too much power for them, or was it smoke, eh whateva. If you really want it and your thinking about driving it make sure its running and driving and has good tires, then get your paperwork in order or CA wont even let you leave with it, could have it hauled across the state line then hop in and drive back.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I don't have time in my horribly hectic schedule to drive it back myself, probably take a week or so and a bunch of diesel too! I'll bet that a city bus tops out at around 55 MPH or less and that drive would feel like forever!

The guy selling it has others and has sold them out here before. He said around 3000 was what one guy paid for shipping, but that seems like about what fuel would cost (2400 miles @ 6 miles to the gallon = 400 gallons X $4.00 per gallon =$1600) plus tolls?, and a very modest profit for at least a weeks work. I think that he's a little low, but I don't know trucking.

Thanks for all of the input! Tim

I don't have time in my horribly hectic schedule to drive it back myself, probably take a week or so and a bunch of diesel too! I'll bet that a city bus tops out at around 55 MPH or less and that drive would feel like forever!

The guy selling it has others and has sold them out here before. He said around 3000 was what one guy paid for shipping, but that seems like about what fuel would cost (2400 miles @ 6 miles to the gallon = 400 gallons X $4.00 per gallon =$1600) plus tolls?, and a very modest profit for at least a weeks work. I think that he's a little low, but I don't know trucking.

Thanks for all of the input! Tim

You can make that drive in 3 days with a co driver helping out (or if you get a doctored toothpick or two), and there arent any toll roads you "have" to run that direction I can think of, maybe in CA but I dont remember any, Id drive it if it was me but I like road trips like that, itll give you a whole new perspective on what your day to day routine is. Or you could just Bribe Ray to go get it, probably cheaper to drive it back though he probably thinks the same way I do of CA.

p.s. I dont recommend the toothpick, theyll hurt ya I dont think my pulse is back to normal yet and that was 13 years ago!

Hi Tim,

I'm very familiar with Fishbowls.... the guy in Perris is a collector and he slowly ebay's them off at a price that is a little above market value, about a grand or so above... he's definately not a crook!!! well respected by other collectors but just not in a hurry....

However, these Fishbowls are still in authentic condition, he picks the good ones.... most others that turn up on ebay are trashed or abandoned conversions.... so, you pay a small premium for getting all the "bus trinkets" that are hard to find.

if it is the 1972 S8M (single door, eight cyl, manual trans) then that may be a good choice for the future as I would be very scared of an auto with a VS2.... very hard for spares, and effectively a two speed with lock-up... you will make smoke all day but get nowhere.

the highway coach interior with hat racks is far nicer than the city transit standee, ask him about diff ratio and top speed, if over 55mph make sure it hasn't got city tires on it, they are speed rated and marked on sidewall.

being a 40ft coach you will have trouble shipping, most use a landoll but they are expensive... if you saw the episode of shipping wars where they loaded a Scenicruiser on to an extendable trailer you can see it can be done without a Landoll but it comes with some nervous moments..!!!

a friend bought a Fishbowl in Texas and drove it to Vancouver Canada, just took it easy, watched the temp gauge... he did the math and it worked out cheaper than trucking once all the bills were in, plus he got lots of walk-ups wherever he fueled up.

for the technicals... only negatives I can think of.... some have a 'fluid' clutch, the bellhousing, manual trans and angle drive are all fed by same lubricant... and the DD3 brakes can be tricky to release if you are not familiar with them... other than that they are fairly basic with parts available from the mainstream bus suppliers.

HTH

BC Mack

Thanks for all of the info guys, it's been great! I've decided to try to find one nearer to home and just drive it if I can. The guy from Perris is a great guy and will still have some left if I can't find one here soon.

If anyone sees a fishbowl for sale, let me know!

Thanks, Tim