How to andle a Total Loss Claim with Insurance Company

What would be the best way to know your Truck Worth! I Totaled a 1999 Cl-713 5 Axel. And Progressive is trying to Lo Ball Me on Pay out even though I had $60K insured on her! Also I told them I wanted to Keep my Truck and they Told Me that I would have to pay them 7Thousand. Does any one know how much the Salvage yards pay? He is a Picture of the Truck.

post-15067-0-66079600-1371164975_thumb.j

had that happen on my dm690, 20 ton going down hill around a curve. blew the front drivers. thank god I was able to keep it upright. I stopped on the other side of the road on the shoulder were 2 kids had been on there mini bike 5 seconds before. glad to see you were ok.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

All you can do is hold on and hope for the best. I try to not run mine over 2 years or 100k whatever comes first unless they really look good. Drives my dad nuts. I need to get these yokes off but need to get the kingpins done. Gonna get them done in SLC after we unload in Kent,Wa. Kingpins,Pinion seals, and A/c working till we get home

What would be the best way to know your Truck Worth! I Totaled a 1999 Cl-713 5 Axel. And Progressive is trying to Lo Ball Me on Pay out even though I had $60K insured on her! Also I told them I wanted to Keep my Truck and they Told Me that I would have to pay them 7Thousand. Does any one know how much the Salvage yards pay? He is a Picture of the Truck.

Nothing a little wax and polish wont fix there! if your with progressive hold on to your ass theyll try to rape you good, call atkinson, or J&J truck sales in VA they are the dump truck gurus, try to see if they have a truck like you have and get their retail cost to buy it(not their best price) along with ads you can find and print off from TruckPaper turn that in with a sheet covering the average costs of the trucks and tell em thats what it will cost to replace, as far as buy back goes Id say $7000 aint bad I bought one a friend wrecked a few years back it was a tractor and it cost me $4500 but the engine, trans and rears were good so I sold it to Fitzgerald truck parts to make a glider.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Just cruised Truck Paper and found an average cost of around $40,000 for a Quad dump, thats not perfect but its close it doesnt matter what you had it insured at if the replacement cost doesnt match the insurance companies will only pay average replacement cost, so get your pencil sharp and add up what it would cost you to replace and go from there. I have seen this happen several times, an insurance company lets you insure a truck for whatever you deem it to be worth then if your insurance company has to pay out they low ball you and you can settle for the high end of average retail replacement cost, if your insurance fights another at fault party they go for your insured value and settle for the average of replacement cost and insured value so it doenst really pay to set your value to far off from the acual replacement cost.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

it sucks the insurance never pays what you have have the truck insured for. 10 yrs ago a old lady crossed the centerline and hit my brother head on and blew his tire and broke the steering and sent him off the road and over a bank into a beaver pond. the car stayed in the road and my dad then hit the car and sent him over the bank . needeless to say the buick totaled a CL713 and CH613 . WE NEVER RECOVERED THE FULL AMOUNT LOST. the insurance company said the 98 CL was worth more than a 2000 ch so we took a bath on the ch.

Just cruised Truck Paper and found an average cost of around $40,000 for a Quad dump, thats not perfect but its close it doesnt matter what you had it insured at if the replacement cost doesnt match the insurance companies will only pay average replacement cost, so get your pencil sharp and add up what it would cost you to replace and go from there. I have seen this happen several times, an insurance company lets you insure a truck for whatever you deem it to be worth then if your insurance company has to pay out they low ball you and you can settle for the high end of average retail replacement cost, if your insurance fights another at fault party they go for your insured value and settle for the average of replacement cost and insured value so it doenst really pay to set your value to far off from the acual replacement cost.

Thanks for the advice I will try to do the best I can? Do you think it would be fair to add tax and title to whatever price match I find? I think you right they will pay down but never pay up! If I only would of had $10,000 on the truck and it was totaled they would appraise it and pay what the appraise say if it was worth $40,000 they only will use that rule in there favor!

it sucks the insurance never pays what you have have the truck insured for. 10 yrs ago a old lady crossed the centerline and hit my brother head on and blew his tire and broke the steering and sent him off the road and over a bank into a beaver pond. the car stayed in the road and my dad then hit the car and sent him over the bank . needeless to say the buick totaled a CL713 and CH613 . WE NEVER RECOVERED THE FULL AMOUNT LOST. the insurance company said the 98 CL was worth more than a 2000 ch so we took a bath on the ch.

Yes they are trying to stall me out and low ball me! I guess I'm just thankful to be a live. The longer I argue with the more money I'm losing in down time!

Yes I just got done searching and I only found one 5 axel on line and that's listed at $42,900! The other are quads and are around $40,000! The only thing is I had the big 460 engine in mine and my miles were lower than all I seen at about 450,000! And I have an Aluminum bed on mine! Do you think I should add tax and title for the total cost to replace?

I know they are supposed to pay for a replacement truck so that would include tax, title is on you. If the bed and rear axles, tag axles are good id buy it back from the insurance company. Then if you get enough of a check after your buy back go price a new Granite chassis and put your old bed and axles on it. You may end up with a bed and axles and $30-40000 down on a new truck, can't hate that. Just think a granite set forward Rawhide edition with an 18 spd and am MP8 505hp.

I know they are supposed to pay for a replacement truck so that would include tax, title is on you. If the bed and rear axles, tag axles are good id buy it back from the insurance company. Then if you get enough of a check after your buy back go price a new Granite chassis and put your old bed and axles on it. You may end up with a bed and axles and $30-40000 down on a new truck, can't hate that. Just think a granite set forward Rawhide edition with an 18 spd and am MP8 505hp.

Heavy spec cab and chassis', triple frame 65,000# rears, 17' of frame behind the cab with hinge point and 150 C-T. What does the "triple frame 65,000# rears MEAN??? And what does 150 c-t MEAN?

MightyFruit:

The value of your truck is its current fair market value established by sales of comparable trucks in your area.

This is likely set out in your insurance policy (the fine print boilerplate that no one, including me, reads until its too late :)

Any specialty equipment you can document may help increase the fair market value (ie the 460 engine etc).

A vehicle appraiser with experience with class 8 trucks may help get the FMV up (it costs some but I'd pay a couple hundred bucksto get a couple thousand more every day of the week).

Add in tax tag and title. I assume your fuel tanks were full? If so, add that in too.

If you want to retain the truck the insurance company will pay you the fair market value minus it's salvage value.

Salvage value can be either scrap metal prices or what a truck junk yard would pay to buy it so it can be parted out.

If you decide to keep the salvage watch out for your state laws regarding putting the truck back on the road.

The insurance company will likely give you a salvage title with the truck and your state DMV may not let you register and tag the truck with a salvage title.

MightyFruit:

The value of your truck is its current fair market value established by sales of comparable trucks in your area.

This is likely set out in your insurance policy (the fine print boilerplate that no one, including me, reads until its too late :)

Any specialty equipment you can document may help increase the fair market value (ie the 460 engine etc).

A vehicle appraiser with experience with class 8 trucks may help get the FMV up (it costs some but I'd pay a couple hundred bucksto get a couple thousand more every day of the week).

Add in tax tag and title. I assume your fuel tanks were full? If so, add that in too.

If you want to retain the truck the insurance company will pay you the fair market value minus it's salvage value.

Salvage value can be either scrap metal prices or what a truck junk yard would pay to buy it so it can be parted out.

If you decide to keep the salvage watch out for your state laws regarding putting the truck back on the road.

The insurance company will likely give you a salvage title with the truck and your state DMV may not let you register and tag the truck with a salvage title.

Thank you I will put your advise to work!

Heavy spec cab and chassis', triple frame 65,000# rears, 17' of frame behind the cab with hinge point and 150 C-T. What does the "triple frame 65,000# rears MEAN??? And what does 150 c-t MEAN?

65,000 rears? Why? If you were hauling 20 tn you should have been grossing about 65-70k that's a whole lot of overkill on axles. Around here all the trucks run 18-20k steers and 44-46k rears an we gross 74k on a triaxle. What's your Max gross? Double frame or the newer heavy single is plenty also, I've run many dump trucks over 80k on a double frame or heavy single. Is it c-t or c-e, most have a cab to end measurement and a cab to axle measurement, a body installer can walk you thru that stuff, if you want to ho back with the same set up just measure yours and hand off the measurements to the dealer.