Big Brutus, Mineral Kansas

I have been in quarries but never have seen such a giant.

Wonder is the only operator required to activate this shovel?

Reminds me about whole an army to service German Dora gun.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I've always wanted to make the trip to visit Big Brutus. I don't know how many of these large striping shovels remain in active service. Maybe none? There are some great videos of the Silver Spade in action on Youtube. I'm always amazed at how quite these machines are due to their large electric motors. There is an author by the name of Keith Haddock that has pen'd some great books on the subject.

Saw some big shovels like that working down in Randyp's neck of the woods not too long ago (Northeastern Texas) also up in South Central Canada,first time I saw it at night,i thought it was a city in the distance!,those things are HUGE!.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

They had a plaque with the operators names on it seemed like there was 10-12 of them over the years, one person operation and it has an elevator in the middle of it because when its working you cant climb on it from the side, couple of workers inside mait guys and a superintendent.

That small house looking drag line had a v8 cat engine inside and one operator and mait guys that worked 20 hours a day for like 20 years, it was originally on a barge/boat in the Mississippi/Arkansas river area dredging sand bars and was purchased in the early 1910s and moved by rail and reassembled

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 4 weeks later...