2010 CHU with MP8 (DEF Equipped) Are they holding up?

I am looking at buying several of these units that are rigged with Fruitland vacuum pumps and pulling 130BBL vac trailers.

Can anyone tell me what kind of problems, if any, you are having with these trucks,

I'm really worried about the engines. What kind of regen issues can I expect and what kind of life can I count to get out of them.

I'm also concerned about the hoods and air conditioners.

I have been told the heat generated from the engine causes the hoods to come unglued where the fiberglass hood comes together close to the hinge support, the bolts come out from the bottom of the hood where it attaches to the hinge system and there has been issues with ac lines braking do to the routing around the engine.

Again, these units will be running 18 to 20 hrs a day by slip seat drivers and operating on rough Ranch roads with quit a bit of idle time.

I need something that will hold up.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

we have a mack titan with the def setup and we have had it for about 9 months abot 40k miles and 1800 hrs and its only had to regen 2 times so far. we run it on and off highway. its a mp10 engine . i know 2 guys with chu and cxu with def equipped mp8 505 hp engines and they like them .

Mine is an 2011 mp7 with the def system. I have 88000 km and 3000+ engine hours and have only had 3 parked regen. As a roll off for a roofing company I do ALOT of idling, mostly shooting gravel (anywhere from 2 to 6 hours at a time). Can't say I have had any problems tho. I will keep an eye on this thread, as the boss man keeps talking about replacing the 1988 RD688 with anew truck. Trying to push him for something more that the 405-m I run now.

Edited by j_martell

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Country rider, what's your location? The hood unglue issue was with the older model MP engine the 2010 emissons run a lot cooler with less frequent regens. I have yet to see any major issues with them running oilfield hours. A lot of companys are switching back to macks for that aplication...

Country rider, what's your location? The hood unglue issue was with the older model MP engine the 2010 emissons run a lot cooler with less frequent regens. I have yet to see any major issues with them running oilfield hours. A lot of companys are switching back to macks for that aplication...

I have run 10 and 20 through Texas alot this winter, Mack is making a big comeback. For one they have the best looking truck in production now with the Pinnacle axle forward rawhide, the regen systems are alot less trouble then all others,they have a great transmission with the M class, and it seems the engines are holding up once they got the bugs out. Nice to see piggy back Macks coming from north to south to the dealers when most others are coming from Mexico north.

Lucerne,

I agree that's why I was looking the the western star.

I like the fact they a built in Portland.

Personally I like the look of the star better and I can choose between the cummins or Detroit.

The Mack's are already rigged and the guy wants out and that's why I'm looking at them,

I would rather buy his 05 and 06 trucks that are pre DEF but wants wants to keep those.

To be honest that's concerning me as well.

Why would he rather keep the old trks and sell the new ones?

I'm running 2 brand new set back axle Pinnacles. getting excellent fuel mileage (Avg.8.3 mpg Impereal) and only fit and finish warranty issues to report at over 50,000kms since Feb 1st on each. What we gain in fuel mileage from what we had from our 2008 Pinnacle, we lose in DEF fluid with the plus of no regens so far. All good.