Fuel from cooking oil

MACKTRUCKS4

Does anyone here change cooking oil into fuel? I have a steady supply of cooking oil that I dump right into my waste oil tank and heat my garage with but would like to start making fuel oil, even if I run it in my machines, it would help easy the pain at the pump. I don't need a big system, I get around 50 gallon a month, could probably get more if I want it.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Bio fuel for vehicles is much different than for a waste oil heating system, I looked in to it last year for a 120 to 190 gallon 3 tank home refinery unit was $5000.00 Methanol.KOH and NaOH (processed lye/ resin pellets) for the refining process, Drionex for the dry wash purification process to remove meth-oxide and other "catalyst chemicals and finally Anti Gel and Wax additive, Algacide and Cetane Improver to help biodiesel burn clean and light off easier , total up another $2000.00 plus per 750 gallons of Bio Diesel. Add on the Methanol recovery system to pull the methanol from the other chemicals for reuse. Time to load and run the system,clean the system after each run and electricity and water costs to refine it out weighed the savings for me. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Have a friend who runs 100% vegtable oil in a old 237 R model in the summer . Has to run 50% fuel in winter . So far he has had to replace all fuel lines and the supply pump once , the oil eats at any rubber product but smells like a fast food joint.

Have a friend who runs 100% vegtable oil in a old 237 R model in the summer . Has to run 50% fuel in winter . So far he has had to replace all fuel lines and the supply pump once , the oil eats at any rubber product but smells like a fast food joint.

Below 30Degrees you need a healthy dose of Anti Gel, a good water seperator as the Bio Diesel is Hydroscopic and sucks up moisture like a sponge, which than will slush the lines. Iif the fuel was not treated to enough anti wax additive a tank pick up tube heater is also needed. Tough to get a return on the investment IMO Just the Cetane additive is over $200.00 for a 2 quart container and it treats only 200 gallons of bio or less depending on how refined it is. I did a lot of research and asked a ton of questions of the people who use it and the companies who sell the equipment and the Chemicals. Here I also need a permit to have the mini refinery a permit from the NYDEC for the oil storage and a permit from the Fire Marshall to store the chemicals on site. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mythbusters did a show on this and took an old Mercedes Benz diesel (300 I think) and ran straight cooking oil in it and all they did was strain out the food chunks in the used oil. It ran perfect but smelled like French fries. You might run a risk of fat kids running after you for a happy meal.

I heard you can mix a couple gallons of kerosene in diesel in your tanks to stop the gelling. Something they did back in the day?

if I had an older diesel and a supply of cooking oil I would filter it and mix with diesel cutting it 25% oil and 75% diesel would be a great savings, then I would try diffrent combos I would think if the weather was warm above 35 you could run 75% cooking oil and 25% diesel and have no worrys, just my $.02s

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I have been kicking it around but am too nervouse to try it. I put an old bottle of veggie oil in the freezer and it FROZE solid. I figured I'd look at it again in the spring You do need to filter it at the very least. Rudolph used peanut oil if I remember correctly. It will work but I wouldn't bet my business on it until I was sure I had it figured out. I have heard folks in Alaska run it year round so either they are full of crap or the catalysts etc make it work.

I'd take it slow and limit liabilities but it has to work. Lots of guys run it.

Greg

Iam telling you I have a friend running 100% veg oil in summer mack R dump truck no mods it will run on it . Iam am sure in the long run it will cause damage but for $700 he can put another used engine in it and start over again.

The bio-diesel stuff is 20% oil, 80% diesel. I was just watching a thing on History channel about trucks stops and they had Willie Nelsons bio-fuel on there and they mixed methanol and some powder stuff together to separate the glycol out of the oil.

And when the goverment quit subsidizing them they all lost there ass. Willie closed his doors and the other guy lost the truckstop. It was auctioned off I think and is now a Petro.

Iam telling you I have a friend running 100% veg oil in summer mack R dump truck no mods it will run on it . Iam am sure in the long run it will cause damage but for $700 he can put another used engine in it and start over again.

If you run `100% Bio keep a box of filters with you. It will clean everything out of the tank and lines. Atleast for 2 or 3 tanks then all should be normal.

Well that's what I was thinking, and thinking always gets me in trouble, was going to run it in my excavators and backhoe to help with fuel costs and if I had problems, at least they would be off road. Probably have to pack an extra lunch with the smell of fried food on every job site. LOL :whistling:

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Well that's what I was thinking, and thinking always gets me in trouble, was going to run it in my excavators and backhoe to help with fuel costs and if I had problems, at least they would be off road. Probably have to pack an extra lunch with the smell of fried food on every job site. LOL :whistling:

Like JTformula said"you might run the risk of fat kids running after you for a happy meal"....the government would be all over you for "contributing to the obeasity of a minor" :loldude:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA