My main truck

RFCDrum

So this is my main truck we use everyday. It was ordered from Deluxe Sales in Hackensack, NJ in 87. It is a International S1954 with a DTA466 (240-245 hp) with a Brake systems(formerly Williams) Blue Ox guillotine exhaust brake, Fuller RT6613 trans, 12,000 Spicer front with one extra leaf, 21,000 Spicer rear 4,44 ratio with 30,000 springs added. 11r22.5 rubber going to 12r22,5 on front soon. The body is a Amthors from Walden NY with a side lift gate 3,000lb. These are pics from over the years. I will post a recent one when I go up to Blue Beacon in Maybrook NY to get it washed.

Cheers, Rob

post-8724-0-62914700-1361716114_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-43855200-1361716133_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-97480600-1361716147_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-29437100-1361716165_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-65180600-1361716180_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-24024500-1361716205_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-51636400-1361716221_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Yea it's gone through some changes over the years. It's heavy the body is all 1/4 inch. She weighs 19,000 empty. Both sides of the body used to be removable sides. Now just the passenger side. Never took the other side off. Made it all solid now. I used to have two sets of gated too. all small and all big. Three gates on passenger side are removable for plants and pallets. We do a lot of jobs with wheelbarrows so the lift gate comes in handy. The hoist is a Omaha Standard dual piston/scisso with power up and down. The only thing I'm kicking myself on is we should of bit the bullet and paid the 12% FET and went with a more municipal spec and went a little heavier with the axles. Also a locking rear, bigger fuel tank and six spokes on the Daytons.

Cheers, Robert

Nice truck,and i agree, DT-466 is a damn good engine,we had 8 new IH straight jobs at Atlas when i worked there with similar specs. last i heard all bu two are still in use today....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

New Internationals are terrible. This truck was a bit of a trend setter back in the day. Nobody had anything like this in Bergen County. Yea some guys had some big regular dumps but nothing like this. Was a lot of money back then, $56,000.00 comes to mind. I have the original invoice somewhere. Now your looking at 80 to 100 grand.

Cheers, Rob

Yea it's gone through some changes over the years. It's heavy the body is all 1/4 inch. She weighs 19,000 empty. Both sides of the body used to be removable sides. Now just the passenger side. Never took the other side off. Made it all solid now. I used to have two sets of gated too. all small and all big. Three gates on passenger side are removable for plants and pallets. We do a lot of jobs with wheelbarrows so the lift gate comes in handy. The hoist is a Omaha Standard dual piston/scisso with power up and down. The only thing I'm kicking myself on is we should of bit the bullet and paid the 12% FET and went with a more municipal spec and went a little heavier with the axles. Also a locking rear, bigger fuel tank and six spokes on the Daytons.

Cheers, Robert

I hear ya,Robert! I have an S-1654 (ex U-Haul)Lo-Pro. I am looking at putting different hubs or wheels on it (for bigger rubber).The thing is screamin' at 55 mph! Got a 7.3 n/a, 4.33 rear in it and direct in 5th Spicer.Have a 3 speed Spicer aux. for it. Thinking that the taller rubber might help out.Thats another project,though!post-510-0-37188400-1361719494_thumb.jpgpost-510-0-78641200-1361720233_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I have always liked the little S series DT combination, the first one I ever drove with the 6613 trans, I tried to split the gears, and I might add with no success.

. It caused me to get into an argument with the salesman, with him telling me that I didn't know how to shift it, and me telling him that" I had backed up more miles than he had driven forward" and I D----- Well knew how to shift a 13 spd. I left that lot feeling a whole lot humbler, and a whole lot smaller, after learning what a 6613 really was.But I still like those little S series and have bought several brand new and always gotten good service from them except for one that dropped a valve the second day after we put it in service.

j hancock the rear has never went. The trans is original just changed it to synthetic years ago. Like you said just maintenance and things wearing out but that;s pretty much it. In fact almost bought a Ford originally but was too much money. Then had a deal going for a GMC Brigadier from Roches Garage in Callicoon NY with a 6v92 and a 10 speed. Backed out when they couldn't supply a frame to suit a 16ft body and they were going to cut and re attach frame. Wasn't comfortable with that. International was our third choice as up to 86 they only had the DT466 at 210hp. 87 was when they came out with the DTA which had the air to air on it which sold us. I didn't want the truck to be a dog.

Cheers, Rob

BCR a 5 and a 3 would be cool as hell. 607 interesting story I was a senior in high school when we ordered this truck. I was on the phone every night with my dad going over stuff. It was going to have a RT6610 10 speed in it which was a little more common but I changed my mind( I wanted more gears dammit) so when this chassis came in to Deluxe it was in May of 87. My father went to pick it up to bring it up to Amthors and was given the keys and said adios gringo. My dad never drove a Roadranger before he went all the way up rt 17 to the Thruway to the Quickway in one gear at 45 miles an hour LOL!. We were in a hurry for this truck back then. The fat eighties we had so much work we didn't know what to do with it. Anyway we figured it out and that trans is basically like a 15 speed. I've never run out out of gears you can just keep downshifting. The best combo.

Cheers, Rob

I hear ya,Robert! I have an S-1654 (ex U-Haul)Lo-Pro. I am looking at putting different hubs or wheels on it (for bigger rubber).The thing is screamin' at 55 mph! Got a 7.3 n/a, 4.33 rear in it and direct in 5th Spicer.Have a 3 speed Spicer aux. for it. Thinking that the taller rubber might help out.Thats another project,though!attachicon.gif057.JPGattachicon.gif032.JPG

Those wheels scream U-Haul. :)

Nice little truck, but I'm not crazy about the paint scheme :whistling: ........

Jim

What year Lucerne? Looks like early nineties to me. What trans?. The Bibeau body looks brand new.

Cheers, Rob

Can't remember, 94? sound right? 5 spd,had low miles, no leaks, didn't use any fluids, new Bibeau, you got that right, nice dump bodys. I like spending alot on a truck then selling it at a big loss. Well I must, I do it every time.

• Like 2

My old 78 GMC 3/4 ton two wheel drive. Was handed down to me from my Dad who bought it new. He gave it to me when I got my license. It didn't look like this though. I sold it to my cousin and bought a new F350 crew cab diesel in 89.

Cheers, Rob

post-8724-0-52209200-1362439647_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-36082600-1362439663_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-87478500-1362439679_thumb.jp

Yes and I still have it and use it every day. Got 700,000 out of the first motor 7.3. Went through one trans still original diffs. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it. Planning on putting a flatbed on it. The bed is getting thin. I can't see spending 50 grand for a new one. I can buy another machine that will make me money you know?

Cheers, Robert