JD trail groomer

Was weined on the golden age of snowmobiles. Was 3 years old riding up front with my dad in his 340 tnt. My mom had the 440 Nordic. We also had a 299. Before that we had old Yamahas (big and heavy). Before that I think my dad had a AMF and before that a 335 ski doo. We used to rent a house in Brant Lake and go every weekend. My dad's close friend had to outdo everybody and wound up with a Ski Doo 899?. It was the sled they banned from racing. It was plain gray and had dual tuned exhausts. Terrible machine on the trail it would just dig itself in and overheat lol. I blew the piston out of the 340 tnt back in the eighties.

Cheers, Rob

On my Grandmothers farm and all the neighbors, we blazed our trails with a 1968 and a 69 Johnson ski horse. Couldn't see over the hood unless you kneeled on them.

We still have 2 or 3 around. we had 66 & 67 Evinrude Skeeter, 68? Johnson, 70 evinrude the first one with reverse, and the sleighmate. Like you we went first to make the trail , (20" wide track).

Thinking about it now, we had a lot of fun.

FW

• Like 1

Skiroyal was one, and the family up the street had a Bolens, very unusal the engine and tracks,( yes a pair of tracks like a crawler dozer) up front, and pulled a two person seat on skis behind . to steer there was a handle bar on the powered end and you would steer it like a sulky behind a lawn mower. It was " a pissah", about 1967.

FW

I would guess that there were about two-dozen snowmobile manufacturers in Minnesota back in the late 1960's-early 1970's, now I only know of two (Arctic Cat and Polaris). I have a 1971 Scorpion (also a MN made snowmobile) in the shed, Scorpion also made parts for other manufacturers like Massey Ferguson and Sears before being bought out by Arctic Cat in the late 1970's. As a kid, I had a 1969 Polaris Mustang 440 with an all steel chassis....VERY heavy! Got it stuck in the woods once and it took me an hour to get it out.....good times. :)

• Like 1

All them throttle jockeys as we call them who think its cool to go brap, brap, brap and 110 mph down the trail all day and just constant traffic make moguls. The groomer comes along every once and awhile and smooths out the trail.

Also the vintage ride is this afternoon. I'll be leaving the house at 11:30. I'll post pictures after.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Tom you read my mind! i been afraid to ask for fear of looking like a dumbass!.....................Mark

Here in snowmobile country land owners allow local snowmobile clubs to use their land to make trails that cover the north country and to go from state to state and into Canada. These clubs use groomers and pull drags to smooth the snow where needed. Everyone up here rely opon winter sports to help the local economy. I'll find a photo of a groomer and drag for you.

• Like 1

All them throttle jockeys as we call them who think its cool to go brap, brap, brap and 110 mph down the trail all day and just constant traffic make moguls. The groomer comes along every once and awhile and smooths out the trail.

Also the vintage ride is this afternoon. I'll be leaving the house at 11:30. I'll post pictures after.

moguls?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.