Day cab Cruiseliner at the auction

I went by the world renowned backgate farm auction in Stuttgart, AR, the rice and duck capital of the world. I saw this truck sitting on the other side of town a couple of months ago but didn't get a chance to go check it out. Looks like a 2 valve 300, spicer transmission (6 speed? No splitter,) Hendrickson pad suspension, and spicer rears on buddy's. just like any Cruiseliner I've seen, the dash and steering column was just before falling out in the floor. It didn't come with a tach or fuel gauge. Not exactly my kind of truck, but still pretty neat and not something you see everyday anymore. post-560-0-15137200-1360612216_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-61138900-1360612341_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-51439600-1360612418_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-25149100-1360612485_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-12917600-1360612557_thumb.jpg

Jake

Ok guys Ihave been away from the trucking industry for about 25 yrs. We had a pretty good size fleet of Cruiseliners at Leaman tank lines when I was there.Where did they all go?Ours all had alum. frames and cabs if I remember .Airride cabs too .

probably either took a boat ride to Africa or got kitted into R models or some of both.

There was a Chemical Leaman special (MACK blue,spoke wheels,bobbed bumper) Cruise-Liner around N.Illinois around the mid '90's,but I lost track of it.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I believe they sold out or reorganized in the late 80's or early 90's ? Yes they are now Quality Carriers ,hq is now Fla. instead of Pa.When I worked for them in the 70's and80's they had over 2500 tractors and 4000 trailers if my memory is correct. Probably 90 % Mack afew frtliners afew GMC Astro's and an ocasional White.

Never did drive any "facelift" Cruise-Liners.Were they any better than the 1st generation ones? The interior seemed to just rattle itself to death. :bulldog1:

Even though I liked the looks of the new interior,the dash self destructed.The old interior held up alot better,worse part about those was the plastic doghouse cover.Headliner was prone to cracking also.Best thing you could do to a Cruiseliner,be it a I or !! was put on a airide cab.

• Like 1

Even though I liked the looks of the new interior,the dash self destructed.The old interior held up alot better,worse part about those was the plastic doghouse cover.Headliner was prone to cracking also.Best thing you could do to a Cruiseliner,be it a I or !! was put on a airide cab.

I hear ya,Mike.Just wondering.We had 4 daycab Mich.Special WS tractors at the road contruction outfit I worked at,out of high school.They had KT-450 Cummins W/Jakes,RT-12515 trans. 18F,44R.They were brand new that year ('79).I guess after awhile,the cabs just got beat to hell! They sold 'em after a few years and the outfit Richie Bula worked for in Antigo,Wis,bought them! They were all retired,and a couple years ago were all sold off. That Link Air Ride cab kit,kept many a cabover together for a few more miles,anyway!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I hear ya,Mike.Just wondering.We had 4 daycab Mich.Special WS tractors at the road contruction outfit I worked at,out of high school.They had KT-450 Cummins W/Jakes,RT-12515 trans. 18F,44R.They were brand new that year ('79).I guess after awhile,the cabs just got beat to hell! They sold 'em after a few years and the outfit Richie Bula worked for in Antigo,Wis,bought them! They were all retired,and a couple years ago were all sold off. That Link Air Ride cab kit,kept many a cabover together for a few more miles,anyway!

daycab WS with a KT450,wouldn't that be fun to have at a truck pull???Several years ago I remember a short sleeper Cruiseliner on a Tayor&Martin auction,set up for heavy haul,KT450,heavy front & rears with a lift axle.Used to be 3 daycab's around here that filtered down from Michigan that had 325 V8's and air 6 speeds,the last 2 got scrapped 2 years ago.

daycab WS with a KT450,wouldn't that be fun to have at a truck pull???Several years ago I remember a short sleeper Cruiseliner on a Tayor&Martin auction,set up for heavy haul,KT450,heavy front & rears with a lift axle.Used to be 3 daycab's around here that filtered down from Michigan that had 325 V8's and air 6 speeds,the last 2 got scrapped 2 years ago.

Here are 2 pictures Richie sent me,3 years before they were scrappedpost-510-0-56564900-1360766709_thumb.jpgpost-510-0-95170500-1360766771_thumb.jpg Richie said they nicknamed the trucks,"The Sheeba's" LOL!! They were big,bulky,and with those floaters on the front (& 18 F),they didn't steer worth a shit! He said they usually put the new guys in 'em.Which is probably the reason why they ended up in the field and ultimatley,cut up!

• Like 2

thats too bad,one of those would be cool as hell to have

Richie told me about them, but a non-running KT sounded like a checking account drainer! I helped put the wet kits on,fire extingiushers,beacons,etc. all 4 of those trucks,when they were new.My boss told me,"He better not see me driving one of the new trucks".I said,'I'll just wait 'till you leave".

And carry a coffee can ful of sheet-metal screws!.....................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.