Custom R Model tweaks

Lets start a thread here to show what you have done to your R that sets it apart from your everyday truck.

Has anyone actually upgraded their speakers from the stock 5 1/4 inch speakers to a 6 1/2 inch and if so how did you do it? Has anyone ever thought of mounting a 6 1/2 or any size speaker just under the vent latch on the plastic headliner for some extra bass? These are my next projects i am thinking of if anyone has any guidance. And of course, if you have any pictures of your trucks whether it be exterior upgrades or interior upgrades we would all love to see them!

Here is one i found to get it started,

post-11750-0-23300800-1360178539_thumb.j

• Like 2

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Well, i guess i didn't clarify that i wasn't looking for fast and furious type of trucks but mainly something that took some craft or skill to come up with whether it being speakers or a neat paint job to accent the body lines. You guys are always funny though thats why i love the this site! :SMOKIE-RT::SMOKIE-LFT:

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I marvel at the skill and craftsmanship to create this brown R locomotive but I don't like it.

Thankfully, it is not my truck or my money....

I'm with you on this one. I'll keep the exact words I said to my self and just say I dont like it.

• Like 1

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I replaced the factory speakers in my 2000 RD years ago with Boston acoustics and added some small I think 3.5" to the front headliner on each side on the bottom, I added an 8" sub in a small box behind the passenger seat to add a little bass. I did it all to look stock the same gray/silver vinyl on the speaker box and plain black plastic grilles on the headliner. I think it was a Kenwood CD player I put in place of the tape deck, it sounded much better and thanks to filling the cab with dynomat you could hear the music over the road and engine. Hope that helps it worked out good, it didn't have that bass some folks go for but I just wanted to hear my GNR, Metallica, etc. Better

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The most outrageous thing I've done is swapped out the factory bumper for a 6" oilfieild-style pipe bumper that a buddy of mine gave me off his old R model. I had to cut out the back of the bumper and weld in a new plate with holes drilled to match up to the RD mounting holes. It was all warped up on the back from pulling on it, because on an R model it covered up the factory towing pins, but my RD has towing loops made into the front spring hangers, so it works out pretty good. I keep a shackle it one loop to keep a chain from cutting into the cast iron too bad. And of course, the "Phantom 309" decal!post-560-0-33815700-1360378646_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-08381600-1360378718_thumb.jpg At one time I did away with the factory muffler and went with a 5'' straight pipe, and it sounded pretty good. Not too long after that during the first summer that I ran the truck, my A/C went out, and funding was a little low so I ran almost all summer with both windows down, and I couldn't stand it any longer. As soon as I got my bank account padded up a little bit I went back with a new compressor, lines, expansion valve, condenser, coil, dryer, control panel, and A/C control cover. I also went back with everything factory from pretty much the turbo back, but put a 5'' ''bull hauler" turnout on it.post-560-0-39924800-1360379184_thumb.jpg

Jake

I still have the pipes on mine but put a muffler underneath. 2 years of straight pipe I had had enough. Still want it quieter. When the pipes finally rust thru gonna get the Pittsburgh Power super quiet full size stacks Or the equivlent and put the side mufflers back on. with guards.

• 3 years later...