E7-300 head gasket

eric541

There is only one gasket for the e-7 engine, there are 2 types of fire rings for this engine though. One is flat and the other, which is no longer used, is stepped. Given the year it would most likely have the newer style flat fire ring. To be honest, if one gasket is leaking, the other may not be far behind. Since you're already there, I would replace both head gaskets. It would a hair pulling event if you spent the time to replace one head gasket only to have to rip it apart again to do the other.

It's an easy job, make sure that you use a straight edge on exhaust side to make sure the heads are lined up. Use a torque wrench on all critical fasteners and you should be ok. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, i've been looking for a shop manual so far i have found an e7 728 on ebay. Any better ideas on where to get a shop manual for a E7-300? We will be replacing both head gaskets.

That's the manual you need.

E-7 728.......................728 is referring to the cubic inch displacement of the engine not the horsepower.

Ron

97 model should have flat type fire ring, i think it was sometime in 93 that used the step fire ring. If you have a crane i remove hoses rocker arms all connections and pull the heads together with the manifolds left on, then put back on and torque 1 bolt on front and rear head at a time by the bolt pattern, its alot quicker not having to take all the manifold and injectors lines loose.

Removing the heads together is fine and cuts down on time, as long as your leak is out in the open ?If the leak is between the heads be careful !have seen the heads crack at the frost plugs on the end of the heads!!And make sure your liners are 24 thou or more up to 28 , 22 is low spec i beleive and it is too low at minimum spec for anything 350 0r 0ver

That's the manual you need.

E-7 728.......................728 is referring to the cubic inch displacement of the engine not the horsepower.

Ron

I'm sorry wrong info, forgot about the year, you need a service manual for an E-Tech engine. It's still 728 cubic inches but has EUP's (electronic unit pump)

Ron

E-tec was out in 97 Rember because it was the first etec are shop had pulled out had some issues and sent it back to mack , the whole shop was out there checking it out .

Could be, my memory is a little fuzzy. Seems like there were a few buzzing around.

I remember going to engine school in Dallas right before the engines came out in full force. They had an E-Tech in there and a camshaft was on the table, we all stood there looking at it. The instructor told us to take a good look at that cam because it would be the last time we would see one 'cause it was the answer to Mack's cam problems. Yeah right

Could be, my memory is a little fuzzy. Seems like there were a few buzzing around.

I remember going to engine school in Dallas right before the engines came out in full force. They had an E-Tech in there and a camshaft was on the table, we all stood there looking at it. The instructor told us to take a good look at that cam because it would be the last time we would see one 'cause it was the answer to Mack's cam problems. Yeah right

I always get a chuckle out of these guys that are so easily brain washed by corperate propaganda .The proof is in the pudding True Mack Guys like to beleive that Mack could do no wrong! But the actual truth is they were or are no diffirent than any other big company they tended to experiment with the public! The ETEC engine was chucked out there half baked in my opinon Cams started failing 6 months out, they didn't test it long enough no time! same with egr BIG RUSH get it out there! DEADLINES just like the OCC shows on TV on a big scale. The 2004 egr stuff was a mess that had to be with out a doubt the biggest mess they chucked out there ,Good thing was that everyone else was in the same stew can .It really never did get sorted out! I give the the Big V credit here They really got there shit together for the most part with the emissions this stuff (for the most part) is working quite well with minimal failure . At least hre in my part of the world!