superliner with 3406

Jeremy_Brault

hi, I am looking at an 87 superliner that needs a motor, has mack motor in it now but was looking for a winter project and would like to make it a lowboy truck. Did mack ever offer the 3406 cat engine with a mack tranny behind it? I know you could get a truck with a 3406, but am having troubles finding a bellhousing to fit it with a mack tranny. any help would be great thanks.

Yea they did come out with mack trannys, a buddy of mine has one that came factory with a 3406 and a mack 9 speed. The trany went bad and they swaped it out for a eaton 13 double over, it is a 86 model. One question i would like to ask, once a guy told me that a mack had a little diffrent pilot bearing than a eaton trans used, somthing about a lock ring or a snap ring in them that would put pressure on the crank if you did not remove the snap ring when you put a eaton in were a mack trans had been, are there any truth to this or was the guy just blowing.

i switch an eaton 9 speed to a eaton 13 speed and then switched to a t 2090 9 speed last winter and did not encounter any pilot bearing problems when we did it. i would say that the guy was fibbing u

Well i kind of thougth that, but he said it would all go togehter but something about the thing haveing a sna ring in it or something, i don't know for sure but i took it that he was trying to say that the pilot bearing had a snap ring in the end of it and when you but the eaton trans in it would ut pressure on the crank thrust and could cause problems, i guess he thought the eaton pilot shaft was a little longer, i had never herd of it before. Thanks..

• 1 year later...