Engine Swap

Has anyone ever swaped a 6 cylinder for a V8? How much work would it be to swap? How much would you have in parts? I'm having trouble finding what I want. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for a superliner with a V8. I'm finding nice ones with 300s and 350s for under $10,000. Then I keep finding rough trucks with V8s and they want $15,000-25,000. Just exploring my other options.

Thanks for any replies,

Scott

any things possible......

some things I have seen that are diffrent between the e6 and e9 instlations are...

front engine mount, rear engine mounts. steering box, exhaust system, air filter location, IC piping, water piping, possible radiator mounting location.possible radiator size?/IC size.

go for it :thumb:

my father swapped his 350 for a500 back in 1997 he bought a v8 test engine for 6500 dollars it only had 5000 miles. but it ended up costing him 25000 all togeather because he had to change all the brackets and the radiator. he bought the truck brand new in 1989 he could of ordered it with the v8 for 10000 more but he didnt want to spend the money. he is happy that he swapped but he should have just spent the extra money when the truck was new. we still have the truck the v8 now has 325000 miles on it and about 20000 hours and still runs strong.last fall we had to change the radiator again because of overheating problems. our dealer said that that was the last radiator in the country. it cost 2000 dollars and was bigger than the one that was in the truck i dont think the one that was init was the right one because after he put the v8 in he had overheating problems every summer. he had to keep blowing the radiator out because it would get filled with dust.the truck is a89 rw 713 triaxle log truck with a log loader on the back. it has 3 tone paint like the one on the pamphlets in 88 or89 charcoalgray marroon and silver. supposedly it was the first truck that was really painted like that. ihave only seen 2 other trucks painted like that. does any one know how many were painted that color.

my father swapped his 350 for a500 back in 1997 he bought a v8 test engine for 6500 dollars it only had 5000 miles. but it ended up costing him 25000 all togeather because he had to change all the brackets and the radiator. he bought the truck brand new in 1989 he could of ordered it with the v8 for 10000 more but he didnt want to spend the money. he is happy that he swapped but he should have just spent the extra money when the truck was new. we still have the truck the v8 now has 325000 miles on it and about 20000 hours and still runs strong.last fall we had to change the radiator again because of overheating problems. our dealer said that that was the last radiator in the country. it cost 2000 dollars and was bigger than the one that was in the truck i dont think the one that was init was the right one because after he put the v8 in he had overheating problems every summer. he had to keep blowing the radiator out because it would get filled with dust.the truck is a89 rw 713 triaxle log truck with a log loader on the back. it has 3  tone paint like the one on the pamphlets in 88 or89 charcoalgray marroon and silver. supposedly it was the first  truck that was really painted like that. ihave only seen 2 other trucks painted like that. does any one know how many were painted that color.

Where did he find a V8 test engine at? That sounds like a great find for the price. :thumb: My father had three superliners all together. One was a 89' RW713 with a E9 500, triaxle equipment truck that he still has. It has a bad crank so its just sitting. He also had two 88's or 89's superliners with 350's. One was a marroon with silver stripping and the other was a darker marroon with charcoal stripping. Maybe one of them looked like your fathers truck. I'd like to see a picture of your fathers truck.

I posted some pics of the trucks. Check out my gallery.

Scott

Edited by bigmacksuperliner89

regarding the cooling,my 500 radiator was running a bit hot until i found a sizeable amount of dirt in the fins, I Took off the intercooler and cleaned it with water then spent an hour washing and blasting out the radiator as we found the fan was running in a cold spot due to dirt build up and it would not lock in when things got a bit hot, once cleaned , the fan ran like it should.

Ive since recored the radiator as there were a lot of missing fins surrounding the cores, and this has cost NZD$2800, just the sort of thing to make you love trucking.

nigel :chili:

my father bought the engine from stateline truck service in nh. it came out of a CL TEST TRUCK. THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE CL HEARD A NOISE IN THE MOTOR SO THEY GAVE HIM A NEW ONE. THEY PUT A NEW CAM IN IT AND PUT IT ON DISPLAY IN THE SHOP.THE 350 IN MY FATHERS TRUCK HAD 25000 HOURS IT STILL RAN GOOD BUT HE COULDNT RESIST THE V8.WE THINK THEY WERE TESTING 550 HP RATINGS AND JAKE BRAKES. SORRY IM NOT SETUP TO PUT PICTURES ON THE NET. OUR TRUCK IS PAINTED DIFFERENT THAN YOURS.

my father bought the engine from stateline truck service in nh. it came out of a CL TEST TRUCK. THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE CL HEARD A NOISE IN THE MOTOR SO THEY GAVE HIM A NEW ONE. THEY PUT A NEW CAM IN IT AND PUT IT ON DISPLAY IN THE SHOP.THE 350 IN MY FATHERS TRUCK HAD 25000 HOURS IT STILL RAN GOOD BUT HE COULDNT RESIST THE V8.WE THINK THEY WERE TESTING 550 HP RATINGS AND JAKE BRAKES. SORRY IM NOT SETUP TO PUT PICTURES ON THE NET. OUR TRUCK IS PAINTED DIFFERENT THAN YOURS.

sounds like a gus crocker engine :SMOKIE-LFT:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Here is a link to a canadian mack truck dealer offering a wrecked CL613 with an E9 500. They are located in Kamloops, BC.  They even have a CL613 with an E9 500 and a Superliner with a E9 500. You could start there for parts.

:D ever been to Kamloops? I Have, DONT GO IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY!!! froze my %&* off! -40 during the day, air was so cold it hurt my lungs just breathing it :lol: . beautiful country, wouldnt mind going up there again, but would rather go in summer. loaded lumber there got my metric conversion wrong, had fun at the border had to re arange the load to get axels legal, thank goodness I burned enough fuel to get me just under gross, had to dodge scales all the way to LA, real fun trip! :D Doug