b61 air cleaner

Hello everyone. I was trying to figure my oil bath air cleaner out and was wondering if you guys could tell from the pics if I am missing anything. There are two holes in the firewall and I was wondering what the lower hole is for also. The top one obviously goes to the intake. I would rather go with a dry filter setup but they are a little pricey so I figure if I can service this one why not. Thanks for your help this is my first Mack. Darrenpost-12952-0-07070400-1351828238_thumb.jpost-12952-0-08624000-1351828256_thumb.jpost-12952-0-66919800-1351828276_thumb.j

the later models 64-66 had the cable in the dash that crudely went thru a unused bolt hole in the air cleaner mounting to the winter/summer switch. the top of the air cleaner usually had a plug in it and some even had a little flip top screwed in where you squirted the old girl with ether in bad weather. you could do this or just spray it in the screen on the bottom. i dont really get what you mean by the hole in the top that lets water in? the oil bath will work fine for most applications, sometimes when you upgrade to a 237 or bigger engine the engine will actually suck the oil right out of the pan on an oil bath air cleaner thats why a lot of guys upgrade to the dry type. the dry type Watts sells is a Donaldson to along with the original oil bath Mack used. the dry type is available direct thru Donaldson also as it was used on various applications, i have even seen them on log skidders.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

dunno. seen the dry type have the little taddle tale (change filter. rest ) thing screwed in there. id just take it out and put a plug in it and should be fine. only problem with those air cleaners is if they are left outside forever, they tend to rot around the top ring(where the water rests) and eventually leaks inside and rots the screen and fills the oil bown full of water.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i knew an old timer would know. haha j.k sorry Mike

zinks dad been driving since the 50s and he always likes to talk about oil trucks and the one day he was telling me about the either balls he said they were like a paint ball you put one in that cap and there was a pin in there then you pushed down popping the ball letting a little either in for a cold start.