Tie Rod (center link) Needed

doubleclutchinweasel

Hey,

Anybody got a good, straight tie rod tube (center link) for an FA-535 front axle? The tube is about 2" diameter in the middle, and steps down at the ends. The ends of the tube are internally threaded 1-1/8" (12 threads per inch). The overall length is right at 60". I THINK the Mack part number may be 7 QH 243.

Mine is bent right through the threaded portion. The tie rod end is bent there as well. So, a curved tie rod end in a curved hole! That's not coming out!

I have a guy looking for one, but don't know when he will be able to concentrate on it enough to do me any good. So, I thought I'd ask the brain trust!

This is posted in both the "parts wanted" and "suspension" forums.

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

lol you have two threads exactly the same...

Tom

Well, I thought so originally. But, the thread pitch gages seem to say otherwise. The 12 TPI gage fits perfectly on the RH end, BUT, this is the damaged one. So, I don't feel 100% comfortable with this one. The 16 TPI gage fits perfectly on the LH end, and this one is pristine. So, I feel pretty good about it. I may never know for sure until I pull 2 new Mack-sourced tie rod ends out of the box.

If I can get a little more daylight tomorrow evening, I'd like to get underneath, and check the thread pitch in the slots of the tube. They should be easier to gage there.

I have reason to believe there may be something odd about one of the ends, because the Mack part number for one end DOES cross over to a "standard" part, but the other one does not. Can't remember which one is which. But, Mack lists the numbers as 10QH37 and 10QH38.

More to come...

Kent

The 10QH38 crosses over to a CarQuest number 401-1118, which is also an ES-405R. This part matches all the dimensions I can currently get off the RH (bent) tie rod end. This part has 1-1/8" - 12 RH threads on it.

The 10QH37 DOES NOT CROSS OVER to anything in the CarQuest "fleet parts" catalog. This is also the one which appears to use a 1-1/8" - 16 thread. I can't tell if it is LH or RH yet. Hopefully, I will be able to see it better this evening.

So, there may or may not be an aftermarket alternative to the 10QH37. May have to spring for the Mack part there.

Interestingly, the nice lady at the parts counter gave me not only the Mack part number for the drag link end, but the TRW number as well. She did not, however, have a TRW number for either of the tie rod ends.

More to come...

Kent

They are both R.H. threads with different pitches on each end so when you turn the tube it will either lengthen or shorten the tie rod to adjust the

toe in!

Ron

Thanks, Ron. That is what they look like. The pictures, below, show the different pitches. I thought it was funny that someone laughed at me, and insisted they were the same pitch, when I had the pitch gage in my hand! People are funny!

The bottom pic is the LH end, with 16TPI (see the number?), and the top is the RH end with 12TPI (pardon the crud!).

I would have never guessed they did this. But, seeing is believing! And, hey...it IS Mack we're talking about!

Thanks again,

Kent

post-11199-0-26204400-1351806319_thumb.j

post-11199-0-46940100-1351806322_thumb.j

Thanks, Ron. That is what they look like. The pictures, below, show the different pitches. I thought it was funny that someone laughed at me, and insisted they were the same pitch, when I had the pitch gage in my hand! People are funny!

The bottom pic is the LH end, with 16TPI (see the number?), and the top is the RH end with 12TPI (pardon the crud!).

I would have never guessed they did this. But, seeing is believing! And, hey...it IS Mack we're talking about!

Thanks again,

Kent

I think, and this only my opinion, the reason they did this was the fact that it was a lot easier to find corse and fine thread taps that were both R.H. thread

to clean out the threads in the tube than it would be to find a L.H. tap for the left hand side.

Ron

I think, and this only my opinion, the reason they did this was the fact that it was a lot easier to find corse and fine thread taps that were both R.H. thread

to clean out the threads in the tube than it would be to find a L.H. tap for the left hand side.

Ron

I've been trying to figure that one out, myself. The "standard" 1-1/8" threads are 7TPI and 12TPI. So, those taps WOULD be fairly common. The 16TPI, however is not "standard" on any 1-1/8" bolt. But, 16TPI threads are one of those "universal" threads which can be used on practically anything. We make production parts with "16 series" threads, and I have been known to use 16TPI threads on special tooling I've designed.

So, whether it was easier or not, we may never know. I'm just glad you keyed me in on the fact that they MIGHT be different...which they were. So, thanks again for that.

Kent

• 2 months later...