e-7 #5 cyl. miss no smoke

oilburner

ok guys i need some addvice, my 98 e-7 454 all of a sudden started missing. It does not smoke just a dead miss, i craked the injector lines at the pump and # 5 is the miss, now it does not smoke, no blowby and no knocks or funny sounds it is just like the injector is not poping at all, were would you guys start, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Swap #5 injector with another cylinder and see if it follows , if follows the injector nozzel is defective if not the # delivery valve in injection pump has issue also check to make sure injection line is not blocked depending on issue with delivery valve most of the time it can be repaired on the truck .

Swap #5 injector with another cylinder and see if it follows , if follows the injector nozzel is defective if not the # delivery valve in injection pump has issue also check to make sure injection line is not blocked depending on issue with delivery valve most of the time it can be repaired on the truck .

I all of my years working on trucks i never saw a fuel line blocked untill last year. A freind of mine one sunday came up and found a # 5 fuel line he need to check his with .Sure enough his line was blocked. He ask me how that can happen and i say it has to have metal faking off of the inside of the line doing it cause they have not done any thingb to the pump and its been over a year woring every day.

glenn akers

Have seen delivery valve come apart once and the broken pieces block the line at cap and line connection have also seen where someone have removed injectors without backing the fuel lines out smashing the end of the line over.

While we are talking fuel lines why is it so hard any more to keep the line to injector connection from leaking ?I dont work on them anymore other than mine but have had a few guys call me asking after replaing with rebuilt injectors. A freind ask me about a year ago that and he was replace the line two times each trying stop the leak and on one inector never got it stop and took it to the dealer were it was a big deal to stop.I think they even replaced the injectors again.

glenn akers

Have seen delivery valve come apart once and the broken pieces block the line at cap and line connection have also seen where someone have removed injectors without backing the fuel lines out smashing the end of the line over.

Thanks everone, i am going to tear into it one day this week and i will post what i find and thanks again for the post, i will check that stuff frist.

Just a thought but my E6 had #5 lifter take out the cam had a hell of a miss.Good luck

I hope it is not that bad, it could be just as simple as a blocked fuel line to a bad cam, if i take the covers off i will crank it over and wacth the rocker arms, that should be the way to check that out.

if it is the cam or vavle train i will get road hard over it if it is on the exhaust side, a guy i run with sometimes give me down the road because if the engine is warm and runing i have the jake on, and he want hardly use his he says they tear up the engines, but i have never had any issues out of this and i thank they are the best thing they ever came out with on a truck, and if they were that bad they would not even put them on a truck, and a mack dosen't have much of one anyway.

Injector line leaking fuel issues . O-ring on injector old and dry rotted over tightening of fuel line to tight , failed or cracked injector body , miss alignment of injector to line, and injector cup leaking coolant most of the time its just the injector o-ring from loosing and then retightening injector line.

While we are talking fuel lines why is it so hard any more to keep the line to injector connection from leaking ?I dont work on them anymore other than mine but have had a few guys call me asking after replaing with rebuilt injectors. A freind ask me about a year ago that and he was replace the line two times each trying stop the leak and on one inector never got it stop and took it to the dealer were it was a big deal to stop.I think they even replaced the injectors again.

I used to have that problem years ago when I didn't use a torque wrench. Now I torque 'em every time and rarely have leaking problems. I think the main reason they leak is from over tightening and distorting the tip of the line. Maybe even damaging the injector as well.

Ok everyone, today i checked the injector lines and they were good, i pulled the # 5 and #4 injector and swaped holes just to see if the miss went to #4, it stayed at #5, also took the lines off and tigthed it back on the pump on #5 and pointed it out away from the truck, it did not look like there was as much fuel coming out of it as the others, and i could hold my tumb over the end of the line and stop the fuel, i tryed this with the others and i could not stand to hold my tumb over it more than a secound. I checked the rocker arms and they all moved fine when the engin was running, do you all thank it is the barrel on the #5 in the pump or what and if anyone could post pictures of the pump break down it would be help ful to me

Please dont stick your thumb over fuel line that s not the best thing to do but it does sound like the delivery valve is down, . there is a special tool to remove it the spring valve and barrel washer are all under it if the spring and valve are broken they can be replaced on the truck if it is any deeper pump will need to come off

Please dont stick your thumb over fuel line that s not the best thing to do but it does sound like the delivery valve is down, . there is a special tool to remove it the spring valve and barrel washer are all under it if the spring and valve are broken they can be replaced on the truck if it is any deeper pump will need to come off

I could tell by the amount of fuel it was spraying that there was some thing wrong, i had a pair of leather gloves on, just incase. I was told it took 2200 psi to open the injectors, and i am sure it was no were near this, it also made a tapping sound when you broke the number 5 line at the pump, thanks for all the addvice

what he said.

Truck runs great now, i belive the pump has been week since we got it, but went to do the over head and found #4 vavle spring broke, and the jake head had the flat springs broke off laying in the head, and the master piston had feel out, has anyone ever changed a spring without pulling the head we were thanking about trying to use air to hold the vavle up will this work on the engine, and why would the pring just be broke. It broke at the top coil. And thanks everyone for the advice, i love this page!!