Manifold issues

Loadstar

Well, pulled the manifolds today......exhaust one has a couple hair line cracks.....and where the intake and exhaust bolt together someone over tightened the bolts and cracked the bolt flanges......going to take it to a machine shop on Thursday if I do not get any responses to my post in the parts section.....Let the games begin!!!! It would have to be welded and re-surfaced where they meet. Couldn't see the crack until it came off......Thanks....Louie

Louie,

I assume they are cast iron??? If so they cannot be welded using ordinary methods and you will need to find someone who knows how to work on cast iron. If you cannot find someone locally to do the repairs let me know. I can hook you up with someone in PA that can do it.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 weeks later...

Louie,

Cal Little is who I would recommend. He has someone that is an absolute magician with cast iron. A friend took a manifold from a 25 AB to him that was in pieces; it came back looking factory fresh in a couple of months.

Your best bet with Cal is to go there personally. He may be at the Trucktoberfest, and if not it is not too far from Allentown to his place.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 5 weeks later...
post-12279-0-68107300-1353110140_thumb.jWell finally got the manifolds all set to go back on......repaired and re-machined....ended up getting a used set that wasnt cracked.....but when i split the intake and exhaust manifolds apart there was hole in the intake similar to the original set.....must be a common problem....anyway fixed the original intake and plan on using the new/used exhaust.....

did you get the exhaust back on yet? if not VHT makes a spray on coating that is a baked on ceramic spray coat it works great keeping the exhaust looking new if you get it in Cast Iron color I have a couple cans here on hand just in case.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Al,

I know where a set was/is??? I'll have to check the next time I'm in the area. Could be a while.

Do you want the two hole or three hole style?

Have you checked with Cal Little yet?

Try posting what you need here. I know of at least one poster, who I cannot recall, that had a junk LS85 with the stanchions still on it.

There is also a vendor on EBay that is advertising a Mack booster reel who claims he is parting out several Mack fire trucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Mack-fire-truck-hose-real-PARTING-OUT-300-CLASSIC-CARS-hot-rat-rod-/110964347117?hash=item19d5fd90ed&item=110964347117&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Carl

• 1 month later...

No, I didn't paint them......I used some sort of graphite paste.......a friend of mine used it on his "69" Z28.......I'm sure it will wear off but it looks decent now and can be Put on easy enough. The stuff 84superdog recommended would have been better but I just wanted them back on the truck.