Mack Medium Duty

JTFormula

I know Mack had a Medium Duty called the Midliner before and if I recall they were Renault powered. Not quite my choice for an American icon. I am just trying to figure out why they dont try this market again? I look at company's like International, Frieghtliner, and lately i've seen Hino's all over the place with a huge share of the market. For a companies point of view, you would think they can do well in the 14,000-26,000lb trucks. Towing trucks, box trucks, small dumps and flatbeds etc under CDL could be big business.

I am in the market for a good flatbed rollback and mostly focused on Internationals but have checked out a few Chevys. I would love to cruise a Mack rollback but the only ones I have seen are CDL required with tandums and one midliner that was overpriced. I really need a wheellift to haul two vehicles.

Has anyone else thought this?

From what I understand, the Mack and Volvo mediums were discontinued due to a non compete agreement from when Volvo bought out GM's heavy truck line in the late 1990s. The Volvo mediums like the FL series quickly disappeared from the market, and when Volvo bought Mack that was the end of the Renault based Mack mediums. Now that GM has completely abandonned the medium market, the door may be open for Volvo/Mack to reenter that market. As Volvo now controls UD (Nissan) medium and heavy trucks, "badge engineered" Mack and Volvo mediums are a possibility... But IMHO, not a good idea!

the midliner was a good workhorse,but just about extinct now,,,think your only choise is ford now,,,wouldnt recommend IH,or freightliner...dont know anything about chevy,,,but your probably gonna wind paying more for a medium duty,,,than a heavier one..good luck..bob

I have a lot of seat time in the IH trucks and never had any major issues. I don't have a problem with getting a HD trucks, I just don't have a CDL (refer to my CDL post) and a MD truck I can hop right in and get to work. With a HD I will have to get my class B at least before I can run it.

I actually found a (gasp) Volvo FE 24' rollback locally for cheap with a hitch so I can pull a 2 car trailer behind that might work.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/3209860437.html

I haven't jumped on anything yet just to make sure I spend my money wisely and run it as quickly as possible so I am not losing $ on my investment.

Mack offers a medium duty called the GU432/532. The GU432 is set forward axle and the 532 is set back. This chassis was just release last month. Has the Cummins 8.9 Litre engine.

I don't believe a 56k lb gvwr is MD but nice truck anyway. Also a bit out of my price range.

• Like 1

That Volvo rollback is kinda neat looking, how hard is it to get parts for them? As was mentioned earlier they seem to be extinct now and I wonder if parts availability (or lack thereof) helped to weed them out of the used market. I know about 7 years ago I towed one to the local junkyard that needed a ton of work, it was an oil tanker so the repair estimate must have been pretty high to let it go to the scrapper for the cost of a tow (this was when iron was still a depressed market).

Yeah, I have a soft spot for cabovers. For maneuvering you can't get any better, especially when towing.

For a hobby truck i would love to get a B61 single axle and then an International Transtar. I wouldn't refuse a F Model either. Double bunk cabovers are a plus as well.