anybody change a torque rod

macattack

Couple wrenches and a 12 pack? :idunno:

12 pk? thats a ten minute job- 2 cans at best

As long as the rears haven't rotated any, couple wrenches, tighten good.

If they have rotated a little, a come-a long can help get them in position

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

12 pk? thats a ten minute job- 2 cans at best

As long as the rears haven't rotated any, couple wrenches, tighten good.

If they have rotated a little, a come-a long can help get them in position

They're racing @ Bristol tonight...so work only gets done during the commercials. ;)

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks gang. gonna replace both rods while i am there. the rubbers are definatly squishied out. replacing all bolts,nuts and washers. did not realize that where the 2 rods meet at the crossmember 2 longer bolts hold the 2 rods togeather. so to change just one did not really make sense so i am doing them both. let you know how the road test goes when my parts arrive.

ok. just found out the torque rod to the last axle is 4 inches shorter than the front rear axle. had to exchange one rod.

now that i have the proper rods, i was wanting to know if i should jack up the rear before i retorque everything back down. just for alignment reasons?

i was thinking of placing a jack under each trunnion saddle and raiseing the rear. what you think

thanks

Hi guys,

1976 DM685S, Mack rear end (travelling axle type)

I had my truck in for my annual safety and they say all I need is a new torque rod, torque rod assembly and seal. I have snugged up the assembly a couple of times over the last year, so it is possible that the mount holes are out of round.

They want $744 for parts and $1200 for labor!! I have some mechanical ability so I was thinking I could tackle the job myself. Does $1200 seem extreme on the labor end of things? My rear is a travelling axle type (not camel back), so it just has rubber "hockey pucks" so how hard would it be to keep things aligned while the bushing is out??

Any comments would be nice as I have to decide if I give them the go-ahead or not...

-Derek

ok. just found out the torque rod to the last axle is 4 inches shorter than the front rear axle. had to exchange one rod.

now that i have the proper rods, i was wanting to know if i should jack up the rear before i retorque everything back down. just for alignment reasons?

i was thinking of placing a jack under each trunnion saddle and raiseing the rear. what you think

thanks

Some parts guys are pretty good at not checking to make sure you get the correct rods there are a few different lengths and yes one is longer than the other if you have the taper mount which it seems you do a come-along or small bottle jack is all you need to get the axle where it needs to be to get the bolts started. As far as alignment goes they are pretty much self aligning if you put all the correct washers and bolts in the correct places I dont actually think you can misalign it, unless your REALLY SMART! I have has the taper mounts get stuck in there and had to heat and beat to get them out then I thought about it for a minute and with one small 6 ton bottle jack and a couple 4x4's you can pop it right out using the frame as a push point(just dont get too greedy), I put pressure on it with the jack then smack the top of the taper hole with a brass BFH and it pops right out.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"