That was me in the burgundy Chevy Silverado extended cab that blew by you getting horny at about the 11 yardstick on E/B I-78 this afternoon. We were on the way home from PPP as well. I blew past you screaming "GET THAT PIECE OF %$&* OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!!" No not really but I did wave but you prolly couldnt see me as I was going about......well.......just real fast......lol.........

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I remember. My girlfriend asked if I knew who it was. I told her people like fire trucks. I suppose we were cruising along about 45. The speedometer is not accurate. I wish it was a faster truck. My father was going to haul the AC out too, but the screen in the fuel tank was clogged and it wouldn't keep running so we left it home.

Why didn't you bring the FWD?

Mike

Why didn't you bring the FWD?

Let me count the ways:

1. Had the three anklebiters with me. That R-Model International cab is not, I repeat NOT big enough for myself plus two booster seats and one baby seat.

2. 100+ miles from the house (Exit 67 of I-78) @3.5MPG......The old lady kind of has this thing about paying the mortgage, feeding the kids, etc. She's annoying like that.

3. Cooling problems on really hot days......There is a bad head gasket or perhaps a cracked head, on hot days the head must flex just enough that it allows water to pass through somewhere and burn. Macungie is 18.5 miles from the house- before I left to go home had to add about a gallon of coolant, and then about another gallon when I got her home. On a cool day (like Bethlehem's Christmas Parade) she runs fine, no issues.

4. There is something about riding in that thing on a hot day, with the engine out in front of you and no insulation on the firewall...going to Macungie at 0700 in the morning is one thing, driving it 100 miles one way at 4:00pm in the afternoon......uhhhhhh no thanks!!!!!

One of these years I plan on trucking it out there.

Lots of good reasons. What's the motor? IH RD 501?

Mike

140GZ (F554G) Waukesha

I bet a Detroit would get much better mileage and not leak coolant anywhere! Well maybe oil, but surely no coolant.

Tim

Hmmmm yes, perhaps...But right now I am running a 3200rpm engine....If I swapped a lawn boy into there (which I would never, ever do even on a dare) I would have to change out the gearing of BOTH axles, or I'll be doing 40mph for the rest of my life.....But it aint gonna happen unless I come across a junker somewhere with the proper gearing. Thats why the plan is, if I ever have to convert her to an oil burner, she's getting a factory remanufactured 3208 Kitty....They have a 2800rpm version right out of the crate that matches my horsepower and torque curve almost exactly. And they are not smoke blowing oil dripping lawn boy wanna be's.

Oil dripping and smoke blowing is just a byproduct of extreme power.

Seriously, though, I'd swap a big block Chevy for the following reasons:

1) cheap. Running, driving ones under a thousand, super bad ones around five k

2) light. Around 700 pounds fully dressed, about half of that Wisconsin motor of yours or a third of that yellow one.

3 reliable. Every auto parts store on earth has just about any part youd need

4) cool. Hank out that thrifty six and drop in a tall deck 427 with headers and twice pipes and the ladies will come running! (unless Ben and I are there with a Detroit).

5) available. Every school bus from GM came with a 366 or 427/454 and can be had for peanuts, complete with all of the necessary brackets, mounts, and SAE bell housing adaptors. Be careful, though, I'm told that there was purported to be a diesel version available that had 4 strokes ( gasp!) and masqueraded as a Detroit , but I can neither confirm or deny.

Just trying to help, Tim

Oh yeah, on the Hey Yarnall thing, I'm glad that you got that b70 from Macungie, I think that you'll give it a good home.

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Just put one of these in there and quite whimpering.....

post-78-0-79304500-1342567349_thumb.jpgpost-78-0-86954400-1342567358_thumb.jpg

This one never did sling, drip, burn, or anything it shouldn't have with oil. It did smoke with a 400kw load against it however. A 600kw load would pull it down off of the governor a bit.

Going in one of my R models shortly.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Oh yeah, on the Hey Yarnall thing, I'm glad that you got that b70 from Macungie, I think that you'll give it a good home.

Thanks Tim, I am glad to have it. It starts and runs great, but leaks coolant. It will need a radiator core. The truck was beautiful when Tom first bought it. Unfortunately he did not garage it and the paint suffered. It is still a pretty nice truck though.

Mike

Oil dripping and smoke blowing is just a byproduct of extreme power.

Seriously, though, I'd swap a big block Chevy for the following reasons:

1) cheap. Running, driving ones under a thousand, super bad ones around five k

2) light. Around 700 pounds fully dressed, about half of that Wisconsin motor of yours or a third of that yellow one.

3 reliable. Every auto parts store on earth has just about any part youd need

4) cool. Hank out that thrifty six and drop in a tall deck 427 with headers and twice pipes and the ladies will come running! (unless Ben and I are there with a Detroit).

5) available. Every school bus from GM came with a 366 or 427/454 and can be had for peanuts, complete with all of the necessary brackets, mounts, and SAE bell housing adaptors. Be careful, though, I'm told that there was purported to be a diesel version available that had 4 strokes ( gasp!) and masqueraded as a Detroit , but I can neither confirm or deny.

Just trying to help, Tim

There goes my dad again. Always biased to Chevy gasoline engines. He would put a Big Block Chevy in anything, wouldn't you Dad? I wouldnt put one in anything but maybe a go cart. A Two-Stroke Detroit on the other hand, I would put in anything in the world. They're awesome.

I would take a 427 over a 3208 though. The 427 will spin twice as fast as the kitten would and sound wayyy better. With open headers, it could almost sound as good as a Detroit. But not quite.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j