Long Island Road Trip pics of Manhatten

JTFormula

Saturday I had to deliver a 1968 Barracuda Convertible out to exit 70 off the L.I.E. While I was crossing I was trying to get shots of some cool stuff:

Here are a pair of Dumps on my way to the Parkway:

post-11944-0-35937700-1341877515_thumb.j

Brooklyn Bridge:

post-11944-0-66271600-1341877556_thumb.j

Mahattan - The building to the right with the cranes on top is the new World Trade Center

post-11944-0-62828800-1341877558_thumb.j

Leaving Brooklyn:

post-11944-0-44984100-1341877557_thumb.j

The mighly Verrazano Bridge:

post-11944-0-73798200-1341877562_thumb.j

Ships anchored off in NY Harbor

post-11944-0-70542200-1341877561_thumb.j

Not related to this trip but yesterday I went on a mine tour with my wife and my mothers cousin. As I was looking around, I had seen a picture of what looks to be an AC Mack:

post-11944-0-79899900-1341877559_thumb.j

post-11944-0-71708900-1341877560_thumb.j

post-11944-0-70198800-1341877555_thumb.j

• Like 1

You were only 2 miles from me... Never called :) I would've given you the 25 cent tour. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You were only 2 miles from me... Never called :) I would've given you the 25 cent tour. Paul

I was in Manorville. If I knew the tour was starting I would have let you know I was coming. Of course I had no idea I was in your neck of the woods.

Vin: here's a link to the cuder: http://www.futureclassicsnj.com/closeup.cfm?id=887&type=muscle%20cars&page=5

Paul - how far do you live from the Brooklyn Bridge?

The kids and I are reading a chapter every week or so of David Mccullough's book on how it was built - great stuff!

Our big plan is to go see it when we finish it - we expect the $1.00 tour when we show up at your door?

May I?

The kids and I are reading a chapter every week or so of David Mccullough's book on how it was built - great stuff!

Our big plan is to go see it when we finish it - we expect the $1.00 tour when we show up at your door?

Paul is many miles from the Brooklyn Bridge. Exit 70 of the LIE would be the 2 miles he was referring to. I've been over the bridge many times in a vehicle but took my first walk across last summer. The kids will love that since they'll be more knowledgeable of it than the majority of folks that use it on a daily basis.

Jim

May I?

Paul is many miles from the Brooklyn Bridge. Exit 70 of the LIE would be the 2 miles he was referring to.

Well I stand corrected, I thought it was all closer together - it all fits under the end of my thumb on the map you know - how many folks can there really be under there?

I would say from the Crooklyn bridge to exit 70 is an hour, maybe more with traffic. The BQE is usually a nightmare of brake lights and potholes big enough to have their own zip code.

Green - I saw the Mobil station and wound up grabbing lunch at the McDonalds over there. That strip mall was the only place that could easily accommodate my truck and 24' enclosed trailer.

Well I stand corrected, I thought it was all closer together - it all fits under the end of my thumb on the map you know - how many folks can there really be under there?

Mick Jagger has a girl who once pushed him around, under his thumb.

IGreen - I saw the Mobil station and wound up grabbing lunch at the McDonalds over there. That strip mall was the only place that could easily accommodate my truck and 24' enclosed trailer.

McDonald's?...strip mall?. Back then there was the Mobil station, a diner nearby but on the other side of the road, and a whole lotta woods. I hope the area hasn't become too developed, but it's been more than 30 years.

Jim

From my door to the Brooklyn Bridge is around 60 miles give or take a few. On a good day maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Manorville, near the LIE is Strip Malls, Fast Food, a Up Scale Diner,Gas Stations and Condos. Even the L.I. Game farm is Up Scaled now. You don't see woods and farm land til your near Sunrise Hwy (rte 27).

On the map I'm only 1/2 a pixel.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, I'll be on the LIE a week from friday. Give me a call or PM a number and I'll catch up with you. The last time I tried this was December 23rd. Hope it doesn't bring back bad luck.

I wish I knew there was a Diner there. I would have rather had diner food then McD's. Now I know for next time... if there is a next time.

I just looked on Google maps. The station I worked at is still a Mobil and is located adjacent to the eastbound LIE off ramp. The McD's is down the road, directly across from the diner. On street view, there are some nice shots of a Hillwick Peterbilt pulling a dump and an obstructed view of what might be an RD tractor. It's good to see that area is still relatively undeveloped compared to other places that I no longer recognise.

I went to the Game Farm on a field trip in elementary school. I was feeding crackers to a llama when it coughed at me. So there I am picking out cracker crumbs that had been imbedded in my neck and this animal is just staring at me, while still chewing, with that goofy llama look on it's face. I've had it in for those things ever since.

Jim

From a Mobil station, a Sunoco station and a small dinner to what it there now is developed. Starbucks and that stuff. Even the old NY National Speedway is a hundred or so house trailer jammed up on each other. When we first moved here I could drive West 40 miles before I had a stop light and 4 lights from home to Orient Point. Times change I guess.

P.T.CHESHIRE

For a few dollars more you can buy the bridge and get a tour... I'll even get a llama to eat crackers with you and you get this fine hat at no cost!!!

"David I'll contact you during the week. Paul

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Damn I missed the Llamas too. I will be sure to contact you the next time I go out. Hats, strange livestock, A 129 year old bridge and a tour of old trucks for a couple bucks? How can you beat that?

I might need a bigger trailer for the bridge though.

Dropped off a military tandem dump truck at Fort Totten on Long Island Monday July 9th and then headed home to Maine. Been a long while since I've seen home. Kinda tight quarters around there for a triaxle rgn. Got off exit 5 and over the over pass and then down the service road to the fort. Then Back to exit five to turn to get on the bridge off the island. Tight squeeze into the fort too. Wasn't too worried, just wanted to get home. Found the drivers too be very polite and understanding about what I was doing, blocking lanes, turning left on red, running on sidewalks etc.. Surprised, being NY. Very pleasant compared to most citys.