More Pictures

other dog

Pretty pathetic compared to Heavygunner's- not many kodiakatronomical opportunities this week.

All I saw was another smoking Mack- coulda been a U-model...but it was prolly a DM.

A home in West Virginia destroyed by a tree. This was not from last Friday's storm, I first saw this a couple of weeks ago.

The switch trucks at the Westvaco woodyard in Rupert. The Autocar looks like the same one they had at the Buckingham yard that I used to haul from, except it was red then.

empty Burns' log trailers

Some pulpwood cutterspost-1374-0-58024100-1341630375_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Looks like quite a load on that pickup behind those pulp guys.

they're all wearing protective head gear 'cept that one in the middle- he must be the boss/truckdriver, just holding the saw for this publicity photo.

They are using bow bars, and the one on the end is wanting to hit someone with his hookaroon. I can see it in his eyes - count me out.

a bow saw was the cat's ass for cutting pulpwood, they wouldn't get pinched as easy as a straight bar, and you could set them prongs on the ground and cut with one hand while peeing with the other. I don't think you can get them anymore for safety reasons, they were bad for kickback.

I have my old bow bar hanging on the wall in the shop. The boys think it is some kind of magical thing and they just know I am not letting them use because it is easier.

Now that I think of it, I do make them do things the hard way a lot. Good for 'em!

I have my old bow bar hanging on the wall in the shop. The boys think it is some kind of magical thing and they just know I am not letting them use because it is easier.

Now that I think of it, I do make them do things the hard way a lot. Good for 'em!

yeah, if there's one thing that's obvious in the picture it's that these men are highly trained buffessionals.

cool pics tom,,,thanks that blue truck looks like an ole jimmy,,,oh by the way just bought value pack of charcoal at home depot,,,2... 20 lbs bags.lol.expecting a more barbeque this weekend woohoo,,,have a splendid weekend my friend...bob

cool pics tom,,,thanks that blue truck looks like an ole jimmy,,,oh by the way just bought value pack of charcoal at home depot,,,2... 20 lbs bags.lol.expecting a more barbeque this weekend woohoo,,,have a splendid weekend my friend...bob

Thanks Bob, i'm gonna make some shish kabobs today, soon's it warms up some. The blue truck might be, i'm sure randyp would know for sure.

Pretty pathetic compared to Heavygunner's- not many kodiakatronomical opportunities this week.

All I saw was another smoking Mack- coulda been a U-model...but it was prolly a DM.

A home in West Virginia destroyed by a tree. This was not from last Friday's storm, I first saw this a couple of weeks ago.

The switch trucks at the Westvaco woodyard in Rupert. The Autocar looks like the same one they had at the Buckingham yard that I used to haul from, except it was red then.

empty Burns' log trailers

Some pulpwood cutterspost-1374-0-58024100-1341630375_thumb.jp

At's one shady looking cat in the middle of that picture! not to be trusted with heavy Sheenry' like that!..........................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

At's one shady looking cat in the middle of that picture! not to be trusted with heavy Sheenry' like that!..........................................................Mark

I think you're the only one that's recognized him yet.

heh heh,,Ole Tom dont never delete nuttin from his computer library. The reason the guy dont have a hat is, believe it or not, way too much thick hair, didnt need one, hair makes a good cushion. All I gots now up there is a solar panel. Yes, the truck is a GMC with a V6 gasoline engine, 5 speed with 2 speed axle, and close to 5 cords of wood on it. It dont show it picture, but had one hell of a big braden winch on front of it, onliest problem with that, it only had a 1 way PTO. LOL,,,had to chop the winch cable loose from a pine tree one time to get a loose from it, or get clutch out of gear. Dam, them was some good ole days! I am out of positive checks today Tom, will catch u one later. I sure miss those days,,,,randyp

I guess yall see those "measuring sticks" duct taped to bottom of saws and sticking up. From the end of that stick, to the tip of the bow spur, was 5foot 4inches, to keep wood truck legal. I invented that, shoulda got me a dern patent,,randyp

I guess yall see those "measuring sticks" duct taped to bottom of saws and sticking up. From the end of that stick, to the tip of the bow spur, was 5foot 4inches, to keep wood truck legal. I invented that, shoulda got me a dern patent,,randyp

I do now, never noticed them before- you shoulda gotten a dern patent on that device! I'm also outa likes for the day.

heh heh,,Ole Tom dont never delete nuttin from his computer library. The reason the guy dont have a hat is, believe it or not, way too much thick hair, didnt need one, hair makes a good cushion. All I gots now up there is a solar panel. Yes, the truck is a GMC with a V6 gasoline engine, 5 speed with 2 speed axle, and close to 5 cords of wood on it. It dont show it picture, but had one hell of a big braden winch on front of it, onliest problem with that, it only had a 1 way PTO. LOL,,,had to chop the winch cable loose from a pine tree one time to get a loose from it, or get clutch out of gear. Dam, them was some good ole days! I am out of positive checks today Tom, will catch u one later. I sure miss those days,,,,randyp

Used to be able to make some money with a pulpwood truck and a good saw. Lot of saws were worth as much as the truck- most were beat all to hell, all the glass broken. Lot of folk 'round here went to 1 ton trucks instead of the usual 2 tons, because they were easier to load by hand, and there were several wood yards around that bought 5' wood so you didn't have to haul it too far.

I can tell you one thing, that is hard-ass work! My younger brother, myself, and a friend went into the pupwood cuttin' binness one summer, when the friend's dad was clearing some land with a D-7. We figured "no need to let all that good wood go to waste, we'll become pupwood cutters". They had a '58 or '59 Ford F-600 that they took a cattle body off of to make a flatbed for hauling hay in the summer, that's what we were hauling the wood on. Had 2 saws, a Poulan and Daddy had a McCulloch we used, neither was a "buffessional" grade saw, they were what people typically used to cut firewood with. The Homelite XL-12 with a bow was a popular saw with "real" pulpwood cutters then, back when Homelite's were blue instead of red. 'Bout kilt us trying to cut and load a load on that thing, all by hand of course.

• Like 1

Im gonna try to load some pics tommorrow Tom of some old saws i still got in barn. One of them is a real doozy. A Poulan 71A. It will still crank, air filter has just gone to pieces on it. It weighed close to 30 lbs. It was the first saw I ever bought, I was 16 and even back then it cost close to 500.00. Its a real pro saw. It was before days of forestry approved exhaust, and you can look in exhaust port and see piston. Prolly why im wearing hearing aids now. I did a lot of hand loading starting out, then a guy around was making pulpwood winches out of axles and brake drums, and I started winch loading. Did that a few years and bought a skid steer case uniloader with a woodstick grapple on it and really got after the wood then. Like I said, really miss those days, that resin smell, chiggers, ticks, snakes, parts of my anatomy,,,randyp