can a turbo be put on a non turbo engine

mackmb212

Hi. Could a turbo be put on a end475 or end673 that dident come with one from factory,if its do able

What is the availability on parts like the Manifold and piping and turbo. Thanks for any imput

Rudy

If the 673 has the older crank, the one with the hollow rod journal's I would not! My dad turboed a couple back in the 60's and thay all broke the cranks, but when we changed them over to the newer style we had no more prob. also do not put to much fuel to them unless you have a block that you could put the piston oil cooler's in. Other then that I do not see a prob. just make a nice 205hp out of it, I'm going to turbo my Super 250 Cummin's and make it a 290, also puttin a Pyro in won't hurt good luck!!

BULLHUSK

When did they change cranks? I have kicked around adding a turbo to a 673 myself and not turning up the fuel. Play truck only. I scored a pedigree turbo that is unused in a package deal with some other parts I needed. The Mack Museum guesses my motor is from around mid 1956 and appears not to be rebuilt but anything is possable.

• Like 1

If the 673 has the older crank, the one with the hollow rod journal's I would not! My dad turboed a couple back in the 60's and thay all broke the cranks, but when we changed them over to the newer style we had no more prob. also do not put to much fuel to them unless you have a block that you could put the piston oil cooler's in. Other then that I do not see a prob. just make a nice 205hp out of it, I'm going to turbo my Super 250 Cummin's and make it a 290, also puttin a Pyro in won't hurt good luck!!

BULLHUSK

I am going to look at a 78 MB this weekend and the only thing that is wrong with it is its non turbo I'm assuming there's a 475 or 673 under the cab I drive a MB that has a turbo and it can get out of its own way a non turbo truck has to be really bad. Thanks for your imput Rudy

When did they change cranks? I have kicked around adding a turbo to a 673 myself and not turning up the fuel. Play truck only. I scored a pedigree turbo that is unused in a package deal with some other parts I needed. The Mack Museum guesses my motor is from around mid 1956 and appears not to be rebuilt but anything is possable.

The truck's I'm talkin about were H model Macks, I guess it was around 1964 or 65? I was about 10 or 11 years old, helping my Dad in the garage. I would say the one was early 60's but the other one a little higher and had round fenders with the headlights mounted on top, also we timed them from the flywheel and not from the front; so from my guess the motors were from the early 50's to mid 60'??

BULLHUSK

Burninoil:If you take a rod journal off and measure width to see if you have new style or old style crank.just check with Mack dealer parts dept and they will be able to tell you.We have a endt block that they kept into a end somewhere along the line.I havent checked out pump numbers to see which pump they used.Bob D

I have been working on putting a ENDT 673 E in a military truck.It has no piston oilers the turbo that was on it original mack part # 631GC487P1 The Garrett replacement part # 631GC4101P17X this turbo is also used on the mack 675 RC my parts engine .

Back in the mid sixtys we did turbo many trying to get the smoke down and some more power. Just dont turn fuel up more than two threads.Take out the smoke screw in the nose of the rack cam and remove the synchrovance which is a timing advance and install a direck drive and time to a ENDT673.Use a turbo and manifold from a early 237 maxidyne.Or if you can find a ENDT 205 turbo.The engines was turboed from factory from as early as 1959 that i know and many turbos then was water cooled.It may need a larger air cleaner.The end 475 and 465 i have seen but dont remenber much about them now.

glenn akers

Hi. Could a turbo be put on a end475 or end673 that dident come with one from factory,if its do able

What is the availability on parts like the Manifold and piping and turbo. Thanks for any imput

Rudy

Rudy, I have a turbo, manifolds and fuel pump for an ENDT 673 for sale. If you are interested, I am not too far away in Bangor. Get in touch with me here or call me @ 610-428-6075.

I also have a block and heads for an early END673P, small bearings and 18-bolt heads. The crankshaft is wiped out though that is why I swapped it out.

Gregg