Pinnicale Road Test

First time ever in the current Over Drive mag, I read about a 700 mile road test of a new Mack Pinnicale with a loaded trailer, from the Mid America Show in Kentucky to Allentown Pa..David Mc

Kennna from Mack and Steve Sturgess. Both vets with 30 plus years in the Trucking industry . It had the 505 H.P. and a M Drive automatic. Good review through the city and mountains. Never see any Mack reviews or road tests. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It is good mileage, and seems the auto and computer make it happen. I hope the warranty dept stand behind the unit. There is a few threads on here with horror stories. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We have MP7-395's in the Pinnacles at work that average in that same range, but our trucks do p&d during the day, which will kill the numbers. We haven't had as many engine related issues with the newer ones versus the few they bought in '08, at least at my terminal.

Jim

First time ever in the current Over Drive mag, I read about a 700 mile road test of a new Mack Pinnicale with a loaded trailer, from the Mid America Show in Kentucky to Allentown Pa..David Mc

Kennna from Mack and Steve Sturgess. Both vets with 30 plus years in the Trucking industry . It had the 505 H.P. and a M Drive automatic. Good review through the city and mountains. Never see any Mack reviews or road tests. Paul

Read that myself,good review i thought,i sure miss the "old" OVERDRIVE magazine Mike Parhurst was always good to Mack in their "tractor dissection reports" the only one i can remember getting a bad review was the Cruiseliner,and if i remember correctly,it was a Hayward western model,and a lot of the "issues" were guage placement,fit-finish etc....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

We have a 2011 and a 2012 CHU we're running locally on rental in our fleet to meet a surge in demand. Both have the MP8-445 and Mack 13's. Extremely impressive trucks thus far. I had super bad experiences with '04 CHN613's with the AI-427 so time will tell.

I'll have to read that when I get home. I was thinking of going newer. I love the cab of the Vision it is the same. Good to hear you guys are having good luck. Just a foot not, Texas is a Mack state, never seen so many.

Is a large percentage of those Macks doing oil field work?

The Pinnacle cab has a few more inches between the seat backs and back wall than a Vision.

Jim

I was asking about the 505.I was talking to a Sharkey driver that has a 2013.He runs from Galesburg Il to Denver and back with about 43000 in box.He averages about 8mpg.He says at 1400 rpm he is at 62 mph.That sounds like a 3:58 rear, the artical tested the 3:25.It has the 12spd auto.His truck is governed at 63.He said it only dropped 1 gear going out.Others report that going up Mt Eagle they drop 1 gear and have to back out of it towards the top cause its starting to get away from them.This is with the 505 and the 455.What I like is with the pedal to the floor you gain 200ft lb

Edited by LSI

Is a large percentage of those Macks doing oil field work?

The Pinnacle cab has a few more inches between the seat backs and back wall than a Vision.

Oh ny God,63,i would hate to drive that thing on a trip,no way would i drive for a co. that goverened one to 63 mph!! But the truck sounds great.

Oh ny God,63,i would hate to drive that thing on a trip,no way would i drive for a co. that goverened one to 63 mph!! But the truck sounds great.

I said the same thing then went to work for Comcar industires out of Auburndale,Fl. 62 flat out on the pedal. it sucked. But tricounty it wasn't bad actually. Then I went to work for other people some governed trucks and others not. Last guy I drove for on the last truck he didn't cut it back. all his others where supposed to be 78 Mph but I got them to leave it up to 80.

Now you say you'd never drive a 63 mph truck. I swore that also. Then I became an Owner Op. I rolled at 65 to 75 when I have to go I cruise at 75 to 80. But my normal speed now a days is 55 to 58 sometimes 60 and sometimes 65. I burn a hell of a lot less fuel,My tires and brakes run considerably cooler. and I find I am not as stressed. With the heat now it is no more then 55 and maybe alittle slower. When I can get out of the truck and wipe rubber off the tires you know they are hot. Also I run heavy and do keep up with air pressure as that makes or breaks tires,mileage and a few other things.

• Like 1

I said the same thing then went to work for Comcar industires out of Auburndale,Fl. 62 flat out on the pedal. it sucked. But tricounty it wasn't bad actually. Then I went to work for other people some governed trucks and others not. Last guy I drove for on the last truck he didn't cut it back. all his others where supposed to be 78 Mph but I got them to leave it up to 80.

Now you say you'd never drive a 63 mph truck. I swore that also. Then I became an Owner Op. I rolled at 65 to 75 when I have to go I cruise at 75 to 80. But my normal speed now a days is 55 to 58 sometimes 60 and sometimes 65. I burn a hell of a lot less fuel,My tires and brakes run considerably cooler. and I find I am not as stressed. With the heat now it is no more then 55 and maybe alittle slower. When I can get out of the truck and wipe rubber off the tires you know they are hot. Also I run heavy and do keep up with air pressure as that makes or breaks tires,mileage and a few other things.

I run 62 to 65