Trouble shooting question

HeavyGunner

Alright guys I know this technical question is posted in odds and ends but since it is not Mack related I posted it here. As you guys know I bought a 1993 Dodge with a Cummins in it and it got great mileage the first tank of fuel (21.55mpg). Mind you my dad filled it up before he brought it to me from 180 miles away and I ran it and filled it and got the above stated mileage. I filled it and used it the same as I did (driving wise) on the first tank but I only got around 17.5mpg. I then filled it and took a highway trip 192miles round trip to get groceries and only got 16.8mpg. Today I drove 120miles round trip to get parts and doing some rough math I am getting about 15 or less now. I havent had any hard head winds when traveling to speak of, it's pretty damn flat on all of my road trips so I have no clue why my fuel mileage since Easter weekend when I bought the rig 'til now has gone to hell. I went to the local mechanic and he was such an arrogant little prick today I was ready to kick his a$$hole right thru his teeth. You can get away with crap like that when you are the only mechanic within 60 mile radius. I wanted to make an appointment for him to trouble shoot it if he thought that was necessary. So he asked me a few questions first about the pickup and I answered the best to my knowledge and his attitude seemed like he could give a shit less about helping me. So I asked to make an appointment and he said for what which I replied to figure out what's wrong. He then began to arrogantly tell me that low power and bad mpg are the two most difficult things to diagnose. Ok I can buy that since there are a lot of variables. So I asked him if changing the air and fuel filter would be a likely place to start since it seems like a simple likely place to start. Then the little bastard begins on a rant about how its a needle in a hay stack and on and on about how difficult it will be to figure this out. I calmly told him I have a hard time believing that this would be a major mechanical failure like he said it could've been (I am not ruling that out but it is on my less likely list of troubleshooting) since there never seemed to be a sudden change in noise, power, smoking or lack there of. He then told me that injectors will go out just like flipping a switch which seems unlikely to me but hey I am no mechanic. So I then asked if I should just throw my engine away since there is no way to trouble shoot or fix it? He told me I dunno maybe. I was so livid I wanted to stomp a mudhole in his ass and walk it dry. Little bastard is lucky that he is so far away from any competition because I bet his attitude would change or he would go out of business. This hasnt been my first run in with him being prick, usually I can just shrug it off but eventually a kicked dog bites back. So after my rant I wanted to aske some of you guys on here what you think as far as trouble shooting. Would a fuel and air filter be a good place to start? I thought after that maybe checking to see if all of the air flow from the turbo to the intake was tight with no leaks. Could the fuel quality be that different from where my dad filled it compared to the two different towns I filled in to make a difference? After that I have no clue. Thanks in advance.

HeavyGunner

P.S. I started using Lucas fuel additive on the 3rd tank of fuel.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Yes indeed, service with a smile....

I would change both filters. Fairly easy to do and then take a little spin and see if mileage changes.

Maybe also visit the water separator and do a little maint if so equipped.

Does it seem like there is more smoke out the pipe than before?

Is there a brake that "hung up" and is now trying to slow you down?

I have used Lucas and it seems ok. I figured once that the money I saved on fuel was offset by the purchase price of the Lucas additive. So, sort of a wash.

On another vehicle it did seem to help clean the crap out of the system. So, that was a plus.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Yes indeed, service with a smile....

I would change both filters. Fairly easy to do and then take a little spin and see if mileage changes.

Maybe also visit the water separator and do a little maint if so equipped.

Does it seem like there is more smoke out the pipe than before?

Is there a brake that "hung up" and is now trying to slow you down?

I have used Lucas and it seems ok. I figured once that the money I saved on fuel was offset by the purchase price of the Lucas additive. So, sort of a wash.

On another vehicle it did seem to help clean the crap out of the system. So, that was a plus.

Jim

I never see any smoke except for when I first fire it up it give a quick little puff and that's it. the front rotors and pads were changed literally the day before I got it but not the rear. How would you check to see if a disk brake in the front is hanging up? Just jack it up and see if it free wheels? Same with the rears? I thought maybe the Lucas would help clean things out and maybe add some longevity to my engine since it claims to help lubricate things. thanks for you input.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Try this site: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/? I have used it several times for my D-Max. Real dieselheads for the smaller diesels.

I'm guessing the tranny does not have OD given its age, but it may have a "trailer tow" switch that will change the shift points and lower fuel mileage.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Try this site: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/? I have used it several times for my D-Max. Real dieselheads for the smaller diesels.

I'm guessing the tranny does not have OD given its age, but it may have a "trailer tow" switch that will change the shift points and lower fuel mileage.

Mine is a 5 speed, manual hubs (they are locked out), manual 4wd stick. Probably should have included that tid bit sorry guys.

Clutch isn't slipping is it? Do some research on the diesel place forums. I bet you will find someone with the same issue and what they did to correct it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I have a dodge with a 5.9 and a couple of times I noticed my mileage drop and my air filter was dirty. I went with a deeper fold filter (thicker) and can now go longer between changes.

I got all excited when I saw the thread topic: Trouble SHOOTING question - I thought we were going to talk about how Browning shotguns are better?

I have a dodge with a 5.9 and a couple of times I noticed my mileage drop and my air filter was dirty. I went with a deeper fold filter (thicker) and can now go longer between changes.

I got all excited when I saw the thread topic: Trouble SHOOTING question - I thought we were going to talk about how Browning shotguns are better?

No, No its how Mossberg 930spx's are better. I think I will try the simple and cheap possibilities (fuel and air filters) first and work out from there.

I have and 88 with a Cummins and a 4 speed. The air filter is a critical point for it and mileage with the 5.9. I see a drop I change it and its mileage goes back to normal. As for the brakes stop on a very slight incline as you normally would. Release the brake see if the trucks rolls by it self in a few seconds ,if not than on of the brakes are hanging up and check each axle off the ground. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks to all of you for your responses. That is why I posted the question on here. Because I feel very comfortable heeding the advice given on here since I am sure there is more mechanical talent than most anywhere else. Plus I dont know people on those other sites enough to trust them so it would take too much time to get to know them first. I figured since my truck is an all mechanical engine the basic principles are the same as any other diesel engines so you guys have way more experience than I and could steer me in the right direction. My plan is to go on a little road trip with my wife this weekend and see some more of this great state. We plan on seeing Lewis and Clark Caverns, Virginia City ghost town do a little fishing and grab some parts for my Dodge when we travel thru some of the big cities. Thanks again everyone.

Well on my travels I stopped in Threeforks and picked up an air filter and a fuel filter for my Dodge. I threw in the air filter tonight and ran to Havre with the wife on a grocery run and it seems the truck is back into the 20's(mpg) again. It would seem that the air filter was the problem, so I am feelin' pretty good about things tonight.

I was wondering how you made out with it. Good to hear. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE