Autocar

I picked up a 1986 DK64B 350 big cam 8LL 46 rears ex mixer. It's in good shape and very solid. I'm going to put my fifth wheel on her and pul a short coal bucket. I also was given a 1981 steel nose RD600 10 wheeler 300 and a 5 speed that will be great for my son to learn on. It's the best free thing I ever got, even has the pto and 5 like new tires. The wife still yelled for 2 hours when I drove in the door yard with it. I got it parked next to the DK, what a fleet! Tim

hey tim anit nothing wrong w/ an Acar :thumb:w/ the exception V**V* Put them almost in the grave . :(

We ran 4 DK Series butterfly hood Acars TRIAXLE DUMPS w/400 Bigcam Cummins(5" stright pipes) & 8LL & 46K ROCKWELLS ON DOUBLEFRAMES On walking beams & 16' bed w/ 2way tailgates .

In my book they are next to a :bulldog1: In the dirt :thumb: they would walk right where our DM's & R's were going in the dirt & mud

yall have a safeone

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

hey tim anit nothing wrong w/ an Acar :thumb:w/ the exception V**V* Put them almost in the grave . :(

We ran 4 DK Series butterfly hood Acars TRIAXLE DUMPS w/400 Bigcam Cummins(5" stright pipes) & 8LL & 46K ROCKWELLS ON DOUBLEFRAMES On walking beams & 16' bed w/ 2way tailgates .

In my book they are next to a :bulldog1: In the dirt :thumb: they would walk right where our DM's & R's were going in the dirt & mud

yall have a safeone

:mack1:

I ran a DK back in "83" and it was the first tractor I drove. I thought it was pretty cool looking and loved the three stage jake. I'll get this one all cleaned up and painted. Got to post a couple pictures and one of the RD 600,Tim
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I drove a 64' 2stick A Car(imagine that) on a muddy site job down neck Newark off Ave P,and I hate to say it but all day long I had to drive around stuck in the mud brand new(1978) DM800's.AHHHH the memories,one shovelfull from an old cable operated steam shovel.Every foot there was a different color chemical oozin' from the ground.The amazing thing,after they filled the 48' hole with fresh fill, they built a meat packing plant.Makes ya wanna stop eating meat.LOL But the most amazing thing was that 20spd. with it's little 220 cumapart never got stuck,loaded or empty.TOMBSTONE

• 2 months later...

The Autocars were always tough trucks. When I was a boy, my dad had 2 autocars- a 1946 long nose with a fuel oil tank, and a real ugly 1947 Autocar cab over with fuel oil tank. They were built here in Ardmore PA. The 47 had tandem axle and the rear was a boogie and during the winter they used what looked like a huge bicycle chain between the duals to drive the rear axle. I still have the master link in the basement. When the chains were on they pushed that truck in any weather, the only problem was you has 8 wheels driving and only 2 steer wheels so the drives could push the truck straight on the snow and ice if you were going too fast! There was no power divider so it was tricky driving that truck.

Both trucks got sold in 1974 and they were still around for a long while and finally hit the truck graveyard around 1980. That was long time serving in all kinds of bad weather and they just kept on going any time any weather! Wish I had some pictures to post, but I don't think they survived the hurricanes in Florida a few years back.

Firemack

Autocars a nice truck "heavyduty but comfortable" my father had two 70's Autocar trucks

one of them had two sticks.

heres a cool Autocar i found on the computer

If you are referring to your avatar: I installed the glass into the cab when it was apart and going back together.

The truck belongs to Dean Ashby of Hinton, OK.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

cool truck that you got to work on

My grandfather drove an Autocar for A Tomea & sons in Newark NJ

then my dad bought two Autocars and ran them throughout the jersey Area

Now im trying to find an Autocar to buy

Mack and Autocar's are my favorite trucks

cool truck that you got to work on

My grandfather drove an Autocar for A Tomea & sons in Newark NJ

then my dad bought two Autocars and ran them throughout the jersey Area

Now im trying to find an Autocar to buy

Mack and Autocar's are my favorite trucks

Jocko, in the truckpaper.com there are a few dk64b's for sale at Adelman's truck parts. They look like there are from the same company. Big red and heavy! Tim

• 6 months later...

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi all;

Maybe you A-car guys can help me pin down some info on a truck I used to service when I worked for a paving contractor here about 30 years ago.I can remember some of it.It was a '71 conventional,day cab,twin screw,had a tilt glass front end,24.5's on steel wheels,it was a twin stick,a 5&4,and had a supercharged inline six (the roots style blower was on the side of the block like a Detroit,but it wasn't a Detroit.) that was the original engine. (I was told it was a rare engine.) I didn't get to drive it far,but I sure liked its sound and power,and how smooth it shifted. It used a gallon of oil per day all the time I serviced it,then started going through coolant and quit using oil. I told the boss about it but he said not to worry about it. I mentioned it again a couple of days later and he had me draw an oil sample and send it for testing. While we were waiting for the results,the truck was working in a town about 20 miles away;about a week after it started using coolant the driver called to tell the boss the truck froze up getting onto I-80. Well,the boss went out there and climbed in and hit the starter,and the truck fired right up. The driver got behind the wheel and started off down the road,and the boss turned around and went back to the shop. when he got there,a message was waiting-the truck froze up again. the boss sent the mechanic out with the service truck and had him tow it back in. They scuttled the rare engine rather than rebuild it,and installed a 6-71 Detroit. What a waste of a good engine.That was the year I quit out there. Sad memories...

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi all;

Maybe you A-car guys can help me pin down some info on a truck I used to service when I worked for a paving contractor here about 30 years ago.I can remember some of it.It was a '71 conventional,day cab,twin screw,had a tilt glass front end,24.5's on steel wheels,it was a twin stick,a 5&4,and had a supercharged inline six (the roots style blower was on the side of the block like a Detroit,but it wasn't a Detroit.) that was the original engine. (I was told it was a rare engine.) I didn't get to drive it far,but I sure liked its sound and power,and how smooth it shifted. It used a gallon of oil per day all the time I serviced it,then started going through coolant and quit using oil. I told the boss about it but he said not to worry about it. I mentioned it again a couple of days later and he had me draw an oil sample and send it for testing. While we were waiting for the results,the truck was working in a town about 20 miles away;about a week after it started using coolant the driver called to tell the boss the truck froze up getting onto I-80. Well,the boss went out there and climbed in and hit the starter,and the truck fired right up. The driver got behind the wheel and started off down the road,and the boss turned around and went back to the shop. when he got there,a message was waiting-the truck froze up again. the boss sent the mechanic out with the service truck and had him tow it back in. They scuttled the rare engine rather than rebuild it,and installed a 6-71 Detroit. What a waste of a good engine.That was the year I quit out there. Sad memories...

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

The engine was the Cummins NHRS AKA the "iron lung". It was also available in Mack B model's.

Videos of the NHRS:

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!