Mack e9 500 turbo upgrade

e9500v8

I have 1988 super dog with 500 v8 and want to put a bigger turbo on it. I have seen guys talk about putting holsets on them and I think that is the way I want to go. I want 40 pounds of boost I run truck everyday I don't pull it !! I just want to know who to contact for a mean turbo !!

Hi, I have the 866 and was pulling a B double up a hill and could only get 12pounds boost. I stopped, removed the puff limiter and off it went, 24 pounds boost. maybe you could remove this for now and see what she does :)

Grant

• Like 1

I put a custom built turbo from Dale Francis on my superliner last year. Running 50 lbs. of boost with the fuel turned up. I had to adjust the oil feed a little and the air intake had to be increased to 6 inch. I am very happy with it. His shop number is 440-254-4046.

• Like 1

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

I put a custom built turbo from Dale Francis on my superliner last year. Running 50 lbs. of boost with the fuel turned up. I had to adjust the oil feed a little and the air intake had to be increased to 6 inch. I am very happy with it. His shop number is 440-254-4046.

:SMOKIE-RT: Are you running twin breathers on your Superliner, or the single one under the hood? Does it smoke? I'm thinking about looking into some of Dale Francis' upgrades in the future on mine.

Single air cleaner under the hood for now. Only smokes when I'm on a hard pull. Dale said he used three turbos to make one.

:SMOKIE-RT: I just have a single underhood on mine, I'm thinking of putting dual external breathers sometime. I've heard E9's run better and cleaner with the duals, because it allows them to breath better. Mine Has the Robert Bosch Inline pump and didn't smoke when it was in my MH, but it had a real big aircleaner on it and my Superliner just has the small aircleaner under the hood. I just got it running last weekend and only ran it in the shop don't know yet what it will be like at operating temp yet.

I need info on the Francis Turbo Upgrade please post back when you get it done to let us know how it pulls. I had the v-8 style pump on my 84 I never had it gone thru but I have heard the inline was the way to go for power, I am thinking I want to go buy it back but hey who knows. I know if I do I am going to have to get into it and make some more power its just too darn addictive passing petes!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The V pumps work fine for road trucks. The inline they say are better for sled pulling because you can do more with them. I had the V pump rebuilt and turned up at the same time. Between the two, my truck pulls like it never pulled before, but my motor is fresh, under 50,000 miles. :SMOKIE-RT:

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

just be careful not to get em hot whith stock (factory) mack heads. They will drop a valve everytime..... My friend went thru 3 heads before he bought heads from Francise. He talks to Francise all the time and is building a pulling truck with all his components right now..... Anyway My friend John says Dale Francise pushes the vavle seats in twice as hard as Mack does and keeps the vavles from getting loose and dropping.

In my eyes Francise is a Mack genius and will steer u straight every time.

I cant wait till mine is done so I can pass Petes....... :banana:

The V pumps work fine for road trucks. The inline they say are better for sled pulling because you can do more with them. I had the V pump rebuilt and turned up at the same time. Between the two, my truck pulls like it never pulled before, but my motor is fresh, under 50,000 miles. :SMOKIE-RT:

Well the one I am thinking of getting back isnt fresh by any means, but its fairly tight no real blowby and no external leaks or seeps I will probably do rod and main bearings and retorque the heads again if I get it back just for shits andd giggles so I think a 10 or15% over pump and larger turbo should be fine.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

:SMOKIE-RT: I just have a single underhood on mine, I'm thinking of putting dual external breathers sometime. I've heard E9's run better and cleaner with the duals, because it allows them to breath better. Mine Has the Robert Bosch Inline pump and didn't smoke when it was in my MH, but it had a real big aircleaner on it and my Superliner just has the small aircleaner under the hood. I just got it running last weekend and only ran it in the shop don't know yet what it will be like at operating temp yet.

I dont know about the breather deal, you do have the ability to draw more cfm thru two 13" external breathers than the one internal breather. However the internal filter housing flows more cfm than the 5" pipe to the turbo does and since both the internal and external breather setups use 5" delivery piping I dont really see any gains in cfm. I can see a lower intake air temp due to a hot underhood airbox and lower suction pressures at the twin external intakes versus the single internal but I doubt that would change the cfm at the turbo. I dont know if you could actually change the piping to 6" all the way out or not I know the external breathers have 4" or 5" openings depending on brand, I guess you could make a y pipe that had two smaller pipes from the breathers joining in a 6" pipe for an increase in cfm to the turbo I know you gain around 40% more volume from 5" to 6" pipe so the math looks good if your fabrication skills are up to the challenge.