Frustrating day...

I am building a mile of road into my farm. I have my CH613, a JD200 track hoe, a D6 Cat and we brought in a Western Star gravel truck as well to help keep the hoe busy.

Yesterday, the Western Star was slower than me in the Mack but was getting the job done. The owner was running it. Today, they brought out one other guy to run it, he got stuck on the first load and numerous other times throught the day. They knocked a rear tire off the rim, chucked a chain and eventually tore out the power lockout divider. I hauled 3 loads to their 2 until they broke... Again.

The driver said my truck was way better suited to what we ae doing. How can this be? I have a converted bulk hauler tractor with air suspension. The Western Star has walking beam suspension, a 16' box, and is a purpose built gravel truck.

The only problems I have are that I keep breaking airlines in ruts, I had to set up my fan to run 100% of the time, and I nearly dropped it into the dugout at he end of the day backing in distracted.

Edited by unclebilly

Fire everybody and do it all yourself, and like Hat said...Pay attention. I dont want nothing on my jobs but mack, they gotta be R models, and they gotta have the screwy looking, upside down rear ends. Keep your haul road maintained,,i.e.,,keep ruts knocked down, dont use air conditioning, slam your thumb in truck door first thing in the morning, then you will be all primed and ready to get after it, dont eat lunch either, its just a time waster. Mumble to yourself a lot also. Try to keep your sanity, that part dont bother me, never had any anyway. Good Luck,,,,randyp

• Like 2

That is all driver related. Look at the difference. The star car might of been slower but the owner was driving it,did not get stuck and no tire problems. Put a driver in it and tore a rear and power divider out and a tire in one day. Makes me want to stay a 1 truck operation

• Like 2

I had me a 300 yard dirt doodling job last week slpwlker, hired me a retired trackhoe operator who just wants to work part time. He loaded trucks, 2 R models and I would go dump one while he loaded other, then swap trucks and do it again. It was a distance haul of bout 300 yards, just me running both trucks trying to keep an empty one under him. That ole fart laughed all day watching me pass myself several times. I think I did an unusual amount of mumbling to myself that week. I did sleep good at night though. That last truck I bought few months back is really working out real good also, 2 stick 6 speed, and it is one stout dirt hauling rascal! randyp

I had me a 300 yard dirt doodling job last week slpwlker, hired me a retired trackhoe operator who just wants to work part time. He loaded trucks, 2 R models and I would go dump one while he loaded other, then swap trucks and do it again. It was a distance haul of bout 300 yards, just me running both trucks trying to keep an empty one under him. That ole fart laughed all day watching me pass myself several times. I think I did an unusual amount of mumbling to myself that week. I did sleep good at night though. That last truck I bought few months back is really working out real good also, 2 stick 6 speed, and it is one stout dirt hauling rascal! randyp

Yeah but hell I'm not gonna get another tractor and trailer and go exit to exit moving the truck lol

• Like 2

Unclebilly you know your truck and drive it like a gentleman compared to someone just collecting a check. That Western junk probably has full lockers too but all depends on the person driving it. Randy sounds like you need to clone yourself but I'm sure you enjoy running both trucks and being just as productive.

I am afraid to clone myself Timothy. Each cloning produces a less intelligent person, and Im a lil afraid of working with a less intelligent clone of myself. Sides all that, would hate to lose my temper and have to whip my own ass. Presents a lot of problems, prolly would drive all the women round here crazy also, not to mention gorillas. Thanks for advice though,,,,randyp

I am afraid to clone myself Timothy. Each cloning produces a less intelligent person, and Im a lil afraid of working with a less intelligent clone of myself. Sides all that, would hate to lose my temper and have to whip my own ass. Presents a lot of problems, prolly would drive all the women round here crazy also, not to mention gorillas. Thanks for advice though,,,,randyp

Yup your right. Like the say'in here, give a farmer a mirror and you'll have an argument in 5 minutes!
  • Like 2

Yup your right. Like the say'in here, give a farmer a mirror and you'll have an argument in 5 minutes!

You "New Englander's" are more patient than us round here. The self made argument only takes two minutes here.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm a highway driver, but I'm sure I could've made it through the day with only half that amount of stuff getting destroyed.

Yeah but hell I'm not gonna get another tractor and trailer and go exit to exit moving the truck lol

..only to end up right where you started. :pat:

Jim

You "New Englander's" are more patient than us round here. The self made argument only takes two minutes here.

Rob

Even less in Jersey,the average argument starts in less than 1.7 seconds..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow. I had my dad driving for me most of today, I kept the ruts down with my tractor and did some loading with th track hoe.

The track hoe controls are set up at CAT standard and I am used to my old John Deere rubber tired backhoe so I as to think my way brought every movement.

We only broke 1 airline today on the Mack and we kept he wheels turning. I have no idea how any yards we moved today but we worked for 13 hours at roughly 5 minutes a load.

Did a lot of backing up (some loads 200 yards plus) and the odo doesn't wind back in reverse.

Edited by unclebilly

I feel your pain it use to throw me off going from a trackhoe to a backhoe loader combo which was different. But it just makes you that much of a better operator. I've always heard everybody complain about deere hoes, But never had anything with what for me would be backwards controls. Had a few cats that where backwards and threw me a curve.

• Like 1

We ordered a new Cat trackhoe years ago and elected to not pay the extra $1300.00 for the hydraulic pattern changer - big mistake! When you had different guys try and operate it, you lost more than that over time in reduced productivity as some never really got up to speed if they were used to the other brand controls.