steering column broke while on highway

The Tilt adjustable steering column broke today while i was driving on the highway with 20tons of stone. The steering wheel dropped down completely on to my lap. 2009 gu713 with 30,000 miles i have had the truck for 2 years and 1 month. Bought it new. What i cant understand is that i still have warrantee till dec 2012. But when i brought it to the dealer they said that the column is only warranted for 1 year! and the new column was $825 plus the instalation! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??????? I never ever adjust the wheel i am an owner operator. No one but me drives the truck and the column just drops and shits the bed going 55mph with 20tons. What would happen if i lost control and killed someone? Then would mack cover it?? EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH MACK!

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/10731-mp8-engines/ This is an article about Pinicle, I'm sure it's probably the same column.........Most all '09 models have all the updates/recall already done (or upgraded in production)before they get out the factory. The only recalls I have seen for a few '09s was the "tilt steering recall" and a couple of different downloads for PTO switch and injector pressures. The regular problems we do see on the 08-09's are driver side fan belt tensioners going bad (not falling off but off tracking), clutch brakes breaking internally, AC/heater blower motors going out(bad design, cowl drains plug up and water pours in on the motor) and a few winshield washer motors and pumps going out. Most newer '09 have the self cleaning (purge valve) 7th injector for the DPF and this really cuts out the manual cleaning of soot off the 7th injector. Most '09s around here are doing very well, good MPG and no low power complaints.

I am the Warranty Admin at our Mack dealership, always read the fine print on the Mack warranty , the salesmen will tell you anything to sell a truck. Most everything inside the cab (except certian AC parts by Berh) has a one year warranty its been that way for 10-15 years on Mack. As far as the steering column goes, we have had the same thing happen on several trucks but never changed out the whole column, A cable kit/ gas cylinder usually cures it. Thank Volvo for that crappy design, it came from their trucks along with that air assist clutch crap!

Yes that kit you are talking about "does not work, eventually it will break again" the machanic was telling me. thats why he had advised me to get the whole column. My best bet is to tac weld it in a fixed position.

My biggest fear has always been for a steering tierod to break while Im barreling down road bout 65 or 70 with 14 yds of dirt just a few feet behind me. I once had one drop out whilst i was backing up real slow and front tires just pigeon toed. I prolly inspect those now more than anything on a truck. If it ever does happen, I doubt i will get any pictures for Other Dog. randyp

My biggest fear has always been for a steering tierod to break while Im barreling down road bout 65 or 70 with 14 yds of dirt just a few feet behind me. I once had one drop out whilst i was backing up real slow and front tires just pigeon toed. I prolly inspect those now more than anything on a truck. If it ever does happen, I doubt i will get any pictures for Other Dog. randyp

Keep them greased and inspected regularly and you will notice them loose before catastrophic failure. Impact, nobody can predict that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.