Here's Hopin'

HeavyGunner

I have been debating on transferring (intercompany) from my job in our companies ag division to the energy division. If I get the job I wont have to move, my understanding is the pay is signifacantly better and I would be doing what I love, TRUCKING! I would be hauling crude oil from the field with in a 70 or so mile radius of my house and dump 60 miles from my home. So I would be home every night which is pretty important to me. I have been debating on transfering like I said for about 18 months and when a job opened up last thursday I applied for it. I took my current job in April of '08 after I got healed up from that rollover with the bullrack I was in simply because it was a job in my small town with a very limited job demographic with benefits. My fiance (at that time, now my wife) definitely did not want me to be on the road all the time like I was before so this job is a pretty good fit. I get to drive truck seasonally (during seeding time) hauling fertilizer and then am either out making sales or in an office which niether am I overly fond of doing. So if things work out I may get to go be a day cabber year 'round instead of being one man show so to speak at my current job. Well I will keep you guys posted on what happens regardless of how it turns out.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Best of luck! Contemplating some sort of change jobwise myself,though not entirely my doing!....................................Mark

Good luck Mark hope all goes well. Thanks all for your well wishing.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

I would button the pay thing down, but that sounds like a great deal - good luck!

You're definitely on to something there, but they dont list the pay or pay grade on the job listing so I will have to figure that out if I get an interview.

• 1 month later...

Well its been about a month now since I applied for the transfer to the energy division to haul crude. I have had to jump thru a few hoops to renew my HAZMAT that I just gave up recently thinking I could save the $100 renew fee and sock it away. The whole renewal process is kinda of a pain since I had to drive about 100 miles one way to get to the nearest TWIC approved place to take my finger prints and money. Now I am just in the waiting game for an interview and I hate the waiting game. I hope they get to it soon but I have my doubts since a gent I know that works at another location withing our Co-op waited about 3 months before he got his transfer. Well thats all I have for an update for now but I will keep BMT posted on whatever comes down the pike later.

I took the HazMat test last Thursday and went for fingerprints yesterday. I thought it was a pita having to drive 4 miles for the test and 2 more miles for the prints.

I did mine at a State Police barracks, are yours that far apart?

Hang in there and again, Best of luck!

Jim

It's worth keeping. I think it gives an edge in earning power,Like shaving and brushing your teeth shows you'll put more effort into everything you do..... supposedly.

Ha! Does shaving your head earn even more bonus points?

I had planned on letting my Hz go but had a few friends talk me into keeping it. I don't pull anything haz. I am going to get my tank though.

We handle a lot of liquid bulk totes which hold 350 gallons. I don't know the exact date but a tanker endorsement will soon be required to haul these.

Jim

We handle a lot of liquid bulk totes which hold 350 gallons. I don't know the exact date but a tanker endorsement will soon be required to haul these.

Are you serious? I haul some of those now and then full of dye for a mulch company, I let my tanker and hazmat drop years ago - here we go again, more new rules

Are you serious? I haul some of those now and then full of dye for a mulch company, I let my tanker and hazmat drop years ago - here we go again, more new rules

My understanding of the rule is the endorsement is required if the tote capacity is 119 gallons or more and the total of all totes is 1000 gallons or more.

I had 7 of those sloshy bastards on my first load last night. They're a real treat in hilly terrain, like driving a freakin' waterbed. I gotta hand it to tanker drivers (especially smooth bore) for putting up with that everyday. It must be a lot worse than hauling totes.

Jim

I thought it already took effect. I want it for the extra nitch. I don't plan on pulling tanks but now if I load a water wagon I will need the endorsement. Also the occaisonal brand new tank I might get that gets me home will now be a no no. It also just broadens my search parameters on loads.

I thought it already took effect. I want it for the extra nitch. I don't plan on pulling tanks but now if I load a water wagon I will need the endorsement. Also the occaisonal brand new tank I might get that gets me home will now be a no no. It also just broadens my search parameters on loads.

If I was in your line of work, I would get every possible endorsement and training or whatever you need to be ready to haul anything that comes your way. All that stuff is a pain in the caboose, and there will always be guys that won't do it. So if you have it, those are guys you no longer have to compete against.

I took the HazMat test last Thursday and went for fingerprints yesterday. I thought it was a pita having to drive 4 miles for the test and 2 more miles for the prints.

I did mine at a State Police barracks, are yours that far apart?

Hang in there and again, Best of luck!

Yes I am 1 to 1.5 hours away from the nearest "city". There is only 5 (I think) places to get the finger printing done here in MT and I went to the closest one. I love living in the country but things like this make it a pain sometimes but I wouldnt trade it for the city ever.

We were told July 2014.

Jim