License, Registration, And Proof of Insurance Please

Heres a question for you gurus.... I know this has come up before I recall reading up on the subject and I also know that this is one "Slippery Slope" and will probably always remain that way. But how are you gentlemen licensing these old rigs and insuring them. Provided you are not running a commercial business, do not have P.U.C. numbers, fuel tax stickers etc.. etc..Personal use only.

Heres my situation. Many of you have seen pics of my truck...Its in decent shape. I also have a 1968 Dodge Charger that I'm in the middle of restoring. Therefore I dont want to tear the Mack apart in a million pieces and have the two projects going at once.

In the meantime I am considering playing around with the Mack as is. It has a certain cool factor to it in the somewhat rough shape its in right now. Id like to make the rounds at the shows with it just for the hell of it.

This is an issue that will need to be dealt with now or later after a full resto. Id like to spearhead it now because its been weighing on my shoulders ever since I brought the truck home 2 years ago.....its been sitting idle too long. And I need to find out if I can throw Antique plates on it, get classic insurance and call it day. Or am I always going to be at risk of being nailed to the wall by the D.O.T. if I do so without having all the proper commercial garb that usually is required with commercial vehicles. I suppose this question is aimed at Pennsylvania residents specifically, because some states are "funnier" than others when it comes to license, registration, ins. etc...etc..so Im concerned about my own home base here and at this point im NOT even thinking about crossing state lines because Im assuming thats another can of worms.....but I dont know.... Any insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.-thanks in advance

-Shawn

P.S. Yes I have a Class A CDL and I drive a Mack for a living

post-6282-0-65722800-1329671828_thumb.jp

Register it as antique, call Condon and Skelly for insurance and your good to go! No inspection and the registration and plates are permanenet! What license you jhave doesnt matter...It is all all the PennDOT website...

Im checking out Penndots site now but having trouble finding info pertaining to us....could I bother you for a link? Again thanks for the info.

Shawn I live in Penna. and run trucks with ICC and Pa.PUC Authority. I also run Antique vehicles but keep everything separate.Neither is needed to drive your Antique Plated and insured Vehicle to shows, garage or pleasure ride. If you plate your truck antique 25 years or older in Pa. no state inspection is needed.Pa. is pretty good on running antique plates I have never been hassled in 20 or more years. No Commercial use allowed at all. I have Antique insurance with both J.C. Taylor and Gulfway. Both are good but Gulfway allows you to pull trailer with your antique vehicles on it J.C.Taylor does not.As far as getting Antique plate at Harrisburg its a trap shoot who you deal with at Penndot,I have had both good and bad experiences. When you take pictures for Penndot you will need all 4 sides no names,lettering or license plates are allowed by the person I dealt with. Try to wipe cab down with oil as it helps paint look better or spray with water before pictures it works sometimes. Nice B. Joe D.

Shawn I live in Penna. and run trucks with ICC and Pa.PUC Authority. I also run Antique vehicles but keep everything separate.Neither is needed to drive your Antique Plated and insured Vehicle to shows, garage or pleasure ride. If you plate your truck antique 25 years or older in Pa. no state inspection is needed.Pa. is pretty good on running antique plates I have never been hassled in 20 or more years. No Commercial use allowed at all. I have Antique insurance with both J.C. Taylor and Gulfway. Both are good but Gulfway allows you to pull trailer with your antique vehicles on it J.C.Taylor does not.As far as getting Antique plate at Harrisburg its a trap shoot who you deal with at Penndot,I have had both good and bad experiences. When you take pictures for Penndot you will need all 4 sides no names,lettering or license plates are allowed by the person I dealt with. Try to wipe cab down with oil as it helps paint look better or spray with water before pictures it works sometimes. Nice B. Joe D.

One of these days I will want to pull a trailer with my antique...was wondering how the trailer would need to registered, as arent they registered by weight? Would it be a normal trailer (expensive?) reg like a commercial trailer would be? Or normal trailer plates? What if it had a bed and toilet? can it be registered as an RV?

Thanks

Thanks so much for the info Joe I appreciate it. I'll have to look into this. And yes good tip on the paint. I was going to take my buffer to it and see if I can bring back that green paint for now. Did you just use a local notary for the plates or one of the "John Yurconic" type branches?

Leversole In Pa. you cannot buy an Antique Plate for a trailer I have been told. Trailer Plates in Pa. are reasonable I think $25.00 year and it has to be Pa. safety inspection which is not bad good tires,brakes lights work trailer solid not rotted out bad.I pull a trailer with Freightliner that has Antique Plates.I am taking my Brockway to ATHS Show in Springfield,Mass. this May on trailer I hope no problems.I do not know about RV options. Joe D.

I took mine to one of the local "messenger service" types and they did a good job for me...I didnt even have a title, just a NY registration and bill of sale...they got the title application and the registration with no issues....title came in the mail a few weeks later....

Shawn I went to Harrisburg for my antique plates last time no problems. The time before I went (3 years ago) I was shot down 2 times for petty nonsense could not see bottom of one mudflap. There was no dealing with person. Like I said a trapshoot.When you take pictures stand back about 20 feet and do not show any bad spots if possible, no torn mudflaps etc.Good Luck Joe D.

Leversole In Pa. you cannot buy an Antique Plate for a trailer I have been told. Trailer Plates in Pa. are reasonable I think $25.00 year and it has to be Pa. safety inspection which is not bad good tires,brakes lights work trailer solid not rotted out bad.I pull a trailer with Freightliner that has Antique Plates.I am taking my Brockway to ATHS Show in Springfield,Mass. this May on trailer I hope no problems.I do not know about RV options. Joe D.

Thanks...one of my "Dream" trailers would be a nice lowboy with what looks like a large cargo crate, but when you pull the tarp off, you see it is a 1 bedroom trailer with room for a golf cart!

The other would be a 24' aluminum dump, I think they look great with a tandem B model!

Leversole Did you get the standard title or antique title? In Pa. you must first obtain standard title and then get Antique Title and Plates. That is where the fun begins if person behind counter wants to do things by the numbers. Like i said before I had it go both ways good and bad. Joe D.

One of these days I will want to pull a trailer with my antique...was wondering how the trailer would need to registered, as arent they registered by weight? Would it be a normal trailer (expensive?) reg like a commercial trailer would be? Or normal trailer plates? What if it had a bed and toilet? can it be registered as an RV?

Thanks

I have a trailer of 3,450lbs unladen weight, w/2 axles, w/12,000lbs GVW. I paid a one time $135.00 permanent registration fee for it. Of course this isnt a low boy with air brakes, not even a gooseneck, but I do see your point as far as registration goes on the trailer. Im concerned about the definition of "hauling cargo" in general. According to the Antique plate info it says you MAY NOT haul cargo...I wonder if that means you cant haul a trailer....period?

P.S. And yes it is required to have an annual inspection performed which costed a grand total of $35.00 this last year

Leversole Did you get the standard title or antique title? In Pa. you must first obtain standard title and then get Antique Title and Plates. That is where the fun begins if person behind counter wants to do things by the numbers. Like i said before I had it go both ways good and bad. Joe D.

I may have mispoken, the title is not antique (didnt know there was an antique title) just the registration and plate. I took my four pictures and my signed weight form and the title and registration came in the mail...The title is a 1965 year model.

Shawn I went to Harrisburg for my antique plates last time no problems. The time before I went (3 years ago) I was shot down 2 times for petty nonsense could not see bottom of one mudflap. There was no dealing with person. Like I said a trapshoot.When you take pictures stand back about 20 feet and do not show any bad spots if possible, no torn mudflaps etc.Good Luck Joe D.

Ahh right to the source, walked right in the den of thieves. Brave man.....I hope you were armed hahaha.

Commercial trailers in Pa. are not registered by weight. The truck pays for gross weight to be registered at. You cannot haul cargo with antique plates in Pa.legally for any compensation fuel money, etc. For many years we have been hauling our own antique cars and trucks to shows without any problems. This is not to say some "Barney" will not interept the law in his own manor.Joe D.

I may have mispoken, the title is not antique (didnt know there was an antique title) just the registration and plate. I took my four pictures and my signed weight form and the title and registration came in the mail...The title is a 1965 year model.

Yes I am unaware of an "Antique Title" also Leversole you are not alone. I think he is referring to the registration. First get standard Reg., then apply for antique Reg..... That would make more sense

Commercial trailers in Pa. are not registered by weight. The truck pays for gross weight to be registered at. You cannot haul cargo with antique plates in Pa.legally for any compensation fuel money, etc. For many years we have been hauling our own antique cars and trucks to shows without any problems. This is not to say some "Barney" will not interept the law in his own manor.Joe D.

Ha....Yes Barney, thats exactly what Im afraid of. Im guaranteed to get the young buck fresh out of the academy looking to prove a point.

If you look at your Title on right side it will say title Brands first one is Antique. Then look above that list there will be an A for Antique Title. If it does not have that A you must first get it transferred to Antique Title then you can apply for Antique Plates. It is a money maker for the State of Pa. Joe D.

A lot of bad information in this post.

An PA title for an antique vehicle is the same as any other title in the state but will have a "Title Brand" with the letter "A" for antique vehicle. PA trailers are registered by weight. $25 per year (max) or $ 125 for a permanent plate.

The "link" above to the Fact Sheet can be read in many different ways. It is not the law or the regulations based on the law. I have never been able to cross check and find the source in the law that says you can't haul cargo.

If you look at your Title on right side it will say title Brands first one is Antique. Then look above that list there will be an A for Antique Title. If it does not have that A you must first get it transferred to Antique Title then you can apply for Antique Plates. It is a money maker for the State of Pa. Joe D.

Sonofa.....You are correct. Just checked one of my titles here. Great another hoop to jump through....