License, Registration, And Proof of Insurance Please

You don't have to change the title into your name before you get the antique title. It can all be done at the same time if you have the four good pictures of your vehicle. Also, Condon and Skelly is not writing new antique policies for big trucks. I tried last week. I was told I need a CDL if I am going to license a trailer over a certain GVW. most of you probably have CDL's though. The rest sound pretty good to me. I cover any imperfections with paper before taking pictures and take a whole bunch in different levels of light and at slightly different angles then pick the best 4 to submit. Make sure the windows are up.

Mike

I do not want any fireworks.Any information I post on this topic or any other is what I believe to be the truth. I try not to assume anything.All the info. I provided was thru personal experience.Before you can get an Antique Title from State of Pa. you must first get a regular title then apply for an Antique Title it is the same looking as regular title but must have A before applying for Antique Plates. As far as hauling a load for profit with Antique Plate in Pa. it is not allowed. Anyone can interpert what they want out of written or other info. but the law is what counts. Not always what I agree with. Joe D.

You don't have to change the title into your name before you get the antique title. It can all be done at the same time if you have the four good pictures of your vehicle. Also, Condon and Skelly is not writing new antique policies for big trucks. I tried last week. I was told I need a CDL if I am going to license a trailer over a certain GVW. most of you probably have CDL's though. The rest sound pretty good to me. I cover any imperfections with paper before taking pictures and take a whole bunch in different levels of light and at slightly different angles then pick the best 4 to submit. Make sure the windows are up.

Mike

Thanks for the info. Mike

I transfer the title and apply for the antique license at the same time. I have my proof of insurance and the four pictures. I give all of that to the notary. The notary takes it all to Harrisburg. They call me to pick up the plate in a few days and the title comes in the mail with the antique title brand a few weeks later. I have done it with many titles from Pa along with one from Mass and one from Ca. I have not have any problems. If I don't have the insurance card and pictures the notary will hold the title until I do.

Mike

The only trouble I have had is with the pictures; lettering, gold leaf, rust, dents.

My parents just got home. They had a great time. I have not gone to Harrisburg for a license becauseof the drive. Only an hour but I am lazy. Im not the one who said about misinformation. I was telling how I have done it. This probably does not matter to b67 bulldog because his title is probably in his name. It does save Some money and some time.

Mike

My parents just got home. They had a great time. I have not gone to Harrisburg for a license becauseof the drive. Only an hour but I am lazy. Im not the one who said about misinformation. I was telling how I have done it. This probably does not matter to b67 bulldog because his title is probably in his name. It does save Some money and some time.

Mike

Yup title is in my name

It has been proven to me that it all depends on how things work in your area. Around here, the local notary agents think they are doing Penndots work and critique the photos before being forwarded to the state. Many times I have coached fellow truck enthusiasts through the process and when they finally go directly to Penndot, they walk in with the same photos from the notary and back out with a tag. All notary agents are not created equal and one close to you may work flawlessly.

If the purchased title is notarized (on a title that requires it) when obtained, Penndot will complete the transfer into an antique plate all at once. If the truck is nice and does not need much work, I will do it this way. If the truck is a project and it will be a while before I can tag it, I get a regular title in my name. This way I do not have to try to track the former owner down later on.

There are fewer and fewer Insurance companies writing antique trucks, I have mine with Taylor and with Gulfways. That way if one decides to "not renew" my policy, I have another avenue. It pays to not have all of your eggs in one basket

There are many ways to get things done and some of it just might be due to your location.

If you ever need a hand, send me a message.

Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

I have my 1979 R model Mack plated here in PA with antique plates and everything JD said about Penndot is true.When I sent my 4 pictures in I got shot down dur to the truck being dirty and he said that he could see some rust on the one wheel.So I got out the old trustie sandblaster and paint and painted the truck then I had no problem.The one question I have is when you fellows talk about pulling a trailer with your antique tag truck,I throught that in PA a truck with antique tags was not allowed to pull a trailer.

I have my 1979 R model Mack plated here in PA with antique plates and everything JD said about Penndot is true.When I sent my 4 pictures in I got shot down dur to the truck being dirty and he said that he could see some rust on the one wheel.So I got out the old trustie sandblaster and paint and painted the truck then I had no problem.The one question I have is when you fellows talk about pulling a trailer with your antique tag truck,I throught that in PA a truck with antique tags was not allowed to pull a trailer.

I had 4 views crystal clear of my B-61 from about 20 feet back and didnt have an ounce of trouble getting mine.The only thing questioned was by the notary asking if my stack from the factory. Its only a 4" Curved Chrome stack....Lol It took about a three to five days before it went through. I also have gulfway insurance and they have been pretty good thus far. I only had them for 2 years tho. When I was first getting set up with them I had my own insurnace agent at nationwide go over the policy and he recommended it as being a "good" policy. As far as pulling a trailer with or without a load of equipment or vehicles I was told as follows-Treat the truck and the load as if it were a commecial load and keep the truck in good enough condition as if it were a commerical truck going through a DOT/PUC check. If you plan on pulling a trailer then plan on getting a Class A. You don't have to but it you would get stopped you can explain to the officer that the law has a "gray area" to it concerning a trailer and a load but you are doing everything by the book as if were a commercial motor vehicle even with the correct licensing and endorsements. Any officer with a level head would see that you're being safe,have the proper training and know-how about commerical vehicles, and treat it as such should let you go on your way.I had a Commerical Motor Veihicle inspector out of the washington barracks of the state police tell me pretty much this same story. Just a general note on safety checks and weigh stations, he said to keep junk and debris off the cab floor because they can tell if a driver cares enough to keep up on the truck by looking at the floor of his cab. 9 out of 10 times they see a dirty cab they looking over and under a truck more than someone without junk and debris. Treat it as a commerical truck,respect it as a commerical truck, and you should have no problem.

Leversole- I'd say you got lucky, but I did not see your pictures. It is PennDOT that issues the antique tag and they have been very tough on me. They turned down my A model fire truck because of the scroll work on the front fenders saying it wasn't factory. I sent the pictures back with a copy of a picture from Harvey Eckert's book of trucks being assembled in the Mack factory with the scroll work already on. I got a tag in 3 days. They made me take off extra lights under the bumper on my Transtar because they were not factory. Of coures I put them back on after I took new pictures.

Shawn. Your truck looks good enought for antique tags. Wax it or buff it. Clean the windows. Put some tire black on. Take the license plate off the front bumper and cover up the paint loss on the hood and anywhere else and you should be ok.

As Doug said, if it is a truck that I am not going to license I change the title into my name without applying for the antique brand/license.

Mike

It has been proven to me that it all depends on how things work in your area. Around here, the local notary agents think they are doing Penndots work and critique the photos before being forwarded to the state. Many times I have coached fellow truck enthusiasts through the process and when they finally go directly to Penndot, they walk in with the same photos from the notary and back out with a tag. All notary agents are not created equal and one close to you may work flawlessly.

If the purchased title is notarized (on a title that requires it) when obtained, Penndot will complete the transfer into an antique plate all at once. If the truck is nice and does not need much work, I will do it this way. If the truck is a project and it will be a while before I can tag it, I get a regular title in my name. This way I do not have to try to track the former owner down later on.

There are fewer and fewer Insurance companies writing antique trucks, I have mine with Taylor and with Gulfways. That way if one decides to "not renew" my policy, I have another avenue. It pays to not have all of your eggs in one basket

There are many ways to get things done and some of it just might be due to your location.

If you ever need a hand, send me a message.

Doug

Thanks alot Doug Im glad you responded, I was planning on asking you specifically about this. I was out in the shop dissecting the passenger side door to fix my door latch, soaking some of my parts in WD40 now. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it fixed, pull it out and go nuts and get it cleaned up to shoot some pics.

I guess Gulfway seems to be the one to look into, I'll give em a shout. The other thing im concerned about is age limitation with these ins. outfits. Im 23, I'll be 24 in August. Most of these places want you to be 25. Of course I have a class A and a squeaky clean record but that probably doesn't mean much to them.

But anyhow thanks and I'll keep ya posted on the progress

I had 4 views crystal clear of my B-61 from about 20 feet back and didnt have an ounce of trouble getting mine.The only thing questioned was by the notary asking if my stack from the factory. Its only a 4" Curved Chrome stack....Lol It took about a three to five days before it went through. I also have gulfway insurance and they have been pretty good thus far. I only had them for 2 years tho. When I was first getting set up with them I had my own insurnace agent at nationwide go over the policy and he recommended it as being a "good" policy. As far as pulling a trailer with or without a load of equipment or vehicles I was told as follows-Treat the truck and the load as if it were a commecial load and keep the truck in good enough condition as if it were a commerical truck going through a DOT/PUC check. If you plan on pulling a trailer then plan on getting a Class A. You don't have to but it you would get stopped you can explain to the officer that the law has a "gray area" to it concerning a trailer and a load but you are doing everything by the book as if were a commercial motor vehicle even with the correct licensing and endorsements. Any officer with a level head would see that you're being safe,have the proper training and know-how about commerical vehicles, and treat it as such should let you go on your way.I had a Commerical Motor Veihicle inspector out of the washington barracks of the state police tell me pretty much this same story. Just a general note on safety checks and weigh stations, he said to keep junk and debris off the cab floor because they can tell if a driver cares enough to keep up on the truck by looking at the floor of his cab. 9 out of 10 times they see a dirty cab they looking over and under a truck more than someone without junk and debris. Treat it as a commerical truck,respect it as a commerical truck, and you should have no problem.

Thanks for the input Cummins, looking at it that way makes me wonder if its really in good enough shape to really go for it haha. If I were to get pulled over with it right now I think they'd throw the book at me. Guess I'll have to really think about it. Im gonna clean her up and snap some pics....I know these guys like pics!! See what everybody thinks. Should I pull it apart and start the full resto., or spit-shine it and try to enjoy it alittle bit right now....We'll take a poll I guess :twothumbsup::thumbsdown:

Leversole- I'd say you got lucky, but I did not see your pictures. It is PennDOT that issues the antique tag and they have been very tough on me. They turned down my A model fire truck because of the scroll work on the front fenders saying it wasn't factory. I sent the pictures back with a copy of a picture from Harvey Eckert's book of trucks being assembled in the Mack factory with the scroll work already on. I got a tag in 3 days. They made me take off extra lights under the bumper on my Transtar because they were not factory. Of coures I put them back on after I took new pictures.

Shawn. Your truck looks good enought for antique tags. Wax it or buff it. Clean the windows. Put some tire black on. Take the license plate off the front bumper and cover up the paint loss on the hood and anywhere else and you should be ok.

As Doug said, if it is a truck that I am not going to license I change the title into my name without applying for the antique brand/license.

Mike

Mike I guess Im gonna give it a shot and see what happens!

Not hijacking the thread, but boy am I glad I live in VA. Scroll work on the fender as a reason to reject a title application? Talk about over-regulation. No wonder everyone hates government when this type of insanity prevails.

At the next election I'd be bugging my state legislators to cut the PennDOT budget until they re-join the real world or elect someone who will. A democracy is supposed to be about the will of the people, not the bureaucrat. And that's from a pretty liberal person who believes good government is a necessity of civilized life.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Well here it is...spent the day grooming the old Dog. Started bright and early, Repaired my door latch, washed and scrubbed and spent the better part of the afternoon goin at it with a buffer and compound, shined the tires, rattle canned the frame rails, this is the product. Whataya think? post-6282-0-59536100-1329873975_thumb.jp