License, Registration, And Proof of Insurance Please

When I bought my FWD firetruck back in 2002, I went to a mom-and-pop tag place, thinking it was the way to go- what a pain in the ass these people were!!!! First of all, bringing the NJ over to a Pa title was enough to cause the old lady to have a hemmorage, But then you should have heard the argument I got out of her about "needing to have a firetruck/EV tag...." I had to practically choke the crap out of her to get her to understand the words "it is no longer a municipal fire truck, it is now a privately owned antique, give me an antique plate!!!!" When I first got the truck I went with Condon and Skelly with no problems, however recently they switched carriers from Met Life to some other outfit that I cannot recall the name of right now- and my rates went up. I wasnt happy and researched the new company and got even less happier. Went with JC Taylor, great outfit to work with, especially if you are in Pa.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Good lookin' B-67! Hell, just run it like that for now & have some fun with it before the teardown.You'll get just as many looks and thumbs up with it like that (very presentable).Your choice of course. We have our fun in Illinois with the Secretary of State's office.They tell us you can't get an AV or Antique Vehicle plate on something over 10,000 GVW.Then they go into a huddle,one guy will look back at you and say,"just give it to him"(if your lucky),you leave with your registration & plates and say,WHEW!!! One of our club members said that he was going to lead the charge to get antique trucks looked at equally by each and every state.I told him good luck,the industry has been crying for that since 1935,and we still don't have uniform truck laws from one state to the next!! :loldude:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

When I bought my FWD firetruck back in 2002, I went to a mom-and-pop tag place, thinking it was the way to go- what a pain in the ass these people were!!!! First of all, bringing the NJ over to a Pa title was enough to cause the old lady to have a hemmorage, But then you should have heard the argument I got out of her about "needing to have a firetruck/EV tag...." I had to practically choke the crap out of her to get her to understand the words "it is no longer a municipal fire truck, it is now a privately owned antique, give me an antique plate!!!!" When I first got the truck I went with Condon and Skelly with no problems, however recently they switched carriers from Met Life to some other outfit that I cannot recall the name of right now- and my rates went up. I wasnt happy and researched the new company and got even less happier. Went with JC Taylor, great outfit to work with, especially if you are in Pa.

Thank you for that info...that'll be my next step here I suppose, insurance. Looks like Taylor and Gulfway are about the only game in town. Hopefully I can work something out with one of 'em.

An F.W.D. firetruck that must be a rare a different bird...

Good lookin' B-67! Hell, just run it like that for now & have some fun with it before the teardown.You'll get just as many looks and thumbs up with it like that (very presentable).Your choice of course. We have our fun in Illinois with the Secretary of State's office.They tell us you can't get an AV or Antique Vehicle plate on something over 10,000 GVW.Then they go into a huddle,one guy will look back at you and say,"just give it to him"(if your lucky),you leave with your registration & plates and say,WHEW!!! One of our club members said that he was going to lead the charge to get antique trucks looked at equally by each and every state.I told him good luck,the industry has been crying for that since 1935,and we still don't have uniform truck laws from one state to the next!! :loldude:

Hahaha what a mess, and thanks so much for the kind words on the old dog. Its a shame that people have to make this so difficult.....because think about it, you'll never find people more willing to keep their road going vehicles in tip-top condition. Its the way of a trucker, maintain the equipment and it will take care of you. Most of us and these damn old trucks are safer than the snot nosed punks in their Japanese sardine cans that we have to dodge everyday as professionals, yet the laws are trying to make it harder for "US" to be on the road...

• Like 1

Thank you for that info...that'll be my next step here I suppose, insurance. Looks like Taylor and Gulfway are about the only game in town. Hopefully I can work something out with one of 'em.

Don't rule out the major carriers. I have my trucks through State Farm Mutual and the cost is $87.00 per year per truck. This is full coverage including collision with a $250.00 deductible annually. The comprehensive coverage portion carries a $50.00 deductible. There are no restrictions as to mileage or distance the truck can travel, and a trailer is alright to pull. It does not however cover another antique truck you are carrying on the deck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Don't rule out the major carriers. I have my trucks through State Farm Mutual and the cost is $87.00 per year per truck. This is full coverage including collision with a $250.00 deductible annually. The comprehensive coverage portion carries a $50.00 deductible. There are no restrictions as to mileage or distance the truck can travel, and a trailer is alright to pull. It does not however cover another antique truck you are carrying on the deck.

Rob

No kidding, now that is a surprise! I figured my All-State guy would look at me like I had three heads if I walked in there with this....maybe I'll give that a shot too. Thanks Rob

"Eats Oshkoshes....Shits Walters...."

Actually they were extremely popular throughout the upper mid-west and northeastern states (and anyplace else in snow belts...) FWD was one of the few manufacturers of firetrucks that built complete units (chassis and body) or would sell a chassis to another body builder. Thousands of complete and FWD chassis firetrucks were built between 1919 and 1982 when FWD folded into what is now the FWD-Seagrave Corporation. Seagrave is one of the modern-day "Big Three" of fire apparatus (Seagrave, Pierce and E-One.) For some reason however, there are so few complete examples left of FWD firetrucks that are in good condition. Mine is one of only two in southeastern Pa. that I know of that is still pretty much original. Was delivered on 3-19-1959 with a 140GZ (F554G) Waukesha Engine through a Lipe-Brown clutch into a Clark 5-speed O/D transmission. The four wheel drive is full time, non-selectable which was standard for FWD. If you wanted selectable 2WD/4WD you had to special order it.

post-1729-0-81457000-1329952597_thumb.jp

"Eats Oshkoshes....Shits Walters...."

Actually they were extremely popular throughout the upper mid-west and northeastern states (and anyplace else in snow belts...) FWD was one of the few manufacturers of firetrucks that built complete units (chassis and body) or would sell a chassis to another body builder. Thousands of complete and FWD chassis firetrucks were built between 1919 and 1982 when FWD folded into what is now the FWD-Seagrave Corporation. Seagrave is one of the modern-day "Big Three" of fire apparatus (Seagrave, Pierce and E-One.) For some reason however, there are so few complete examples left of FWD firetrucks that are in good condition. Mine is one of only two in southeastern Pa. that I know of that is still pretty much original. Was delivered on 3-19-1959 with a 140GZ (F554G) Waukesha Engine through a Lipe-Brown clutch into a Clark 5-speed O/D transmission. The four wheel drive is full time, non-selectable which was standard for FWD. If you wanted selectable 2WD/4WD you had to special order it.

Very Cool indeed that baby isss Shiny! thank you for the picture :twothumbsup:

So you may be interested in knowing. I stopped in and talked to my All-State insurance rep, explained that I'd like to have the truck insured. He tells me "well I would put that through our other company that we deal with for antiques"...really? Whos the other company?..."Hagerty". One thing led to another...

He called Hagerty as I sat in front of him, forwarded my info to them. He explained the situation as best he could, They asked if I had a CDL, he replied yes. They told us "we need an appraisal of the truck and a picture of it in the garage"(required to be garaged) And we would be good to go.

So all things considered that sounded pretty good...no mention of trailering but I didnt bring it up. I was just thrilled that no one questioned my age to get it insured at any rate. Apparently the squeaky clean record and CDL DO count for something.

So although that is fairly good news I am still planning on contacting Gulfway (which I did but the line was busy) to try to avoid wasting time and money on an appraisal....Did anyone of you with Gulfway or J.C. Taylor need to get an appraisal first before they would cover you?

P.S. not to mention im concerned that this Allstate office is playing middleman now and might somehow tack on some extra "finders fees" for me to pay if ya know what I mean.

Did anyone of you with Gulfway or J.C. Taylor need to get an appraisal first before they would cover you? Currently I use JC Taylor, and did not have to get an appraisal; I even "upped" my replacement coverage and still did not have to have one. In the past I used Condon & Skelly and did not have to get an appraisal.

P.S. not to mention im concerned that this Allstate office is playing middleman now and might somehow tack on some extra "finders fees" for me to pay if ya know what I mean.

If I were in your shoes, I would just go with JC Taylor or one of the other big antique/specialty carriers. This is what they do day in and day out and they are going to get you the best bang for your buck. They also know all the rules and regulations and licensure requirements. No offense to your auto agent but he/she may not know all the intimate details of insuring an antique/collectable vehicle.

So you may be interested in knowing. I stopped in and talked to my All-State insurance rep, explained that I'd like to have the truck insured. He tells me "well I would put that through our other company that we deal with for antiques"...really? Whos the other company?..."Hagerty". One thing led to another...

He called Hagerty as I sat in front of him, forwarded my info to them. He explained the situation as best he could, They asked if I had a CDL, he replied yes. They told us "we need an appraisal of the truck and a picture of it in the garage"(required to be garaged) And we would be good to go.

So all things considered that sounded pretty good...no mention of trailering but I didnt bring it up. I was just thrilled that no one questioned my age to get it insured at any rate. Apparently the squeaky clean record and CDL DO count for something.

So although that is fairly good news I am still planning on contacting Gulfway (which I did but the line was busy) to try to avoid wasting time and money on an appraisal....Did anyone of you with Gulfway or J.C. Taylor need to get an appraisal first before they would cover you?

I believe Gulfway's limit for max insurance is 30000 unappraised. They havent required a picture of the garage or storage space but do ask the address of the place of storage and if kept inside or out. I too was offered haggerty thru my local nationwide rep and told the very same thing, but as F.W.D said go with taylor or gulfway this is what they do.

Ok fellas thanks alot for the info...kinda what I was thinking also. I like the idea of going with Taylor being that they are right here in PA. However I hear they do not allow trailers, and I really just dont want to be limited to what I can and cannot do with the truck in the future. Filling out papers for Gulfway as we speak....Also Gulfway age limit is 21 so I clear that by a long way which is good news.

My largest draw to staying with my current carrier, (State Farm) besides the agent and several generations of his family being customers is that I only need to keep road coverage on a single truck, and the balance covered only with a comprehensive policy. All it takes to cover any other truck that currently is insured comprehensive only is just a phone call away. If I want to drive an R model one day, and a B model the next, I just call and they fax me a new insurance card to carry with me. Never has been a bill for this so far but I only do this a couple times a year. The coverage that costs me $87.00 annually was over three times that for the same coverages with limitations from the specialty carriers. They were all considerably less expensive than conventional motor vehicle coverages however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I called my state farm rep yesterday. He said no antique policies on commercial trucks. I would need a commercial policy. My father had Hagerty for a while and it worked.fine. He has gulfway on his Superliner and can pull a trailer and has not had problems, but we have not submitted any claims either. Your truck looks great. I would cover up that sticker before.you apply for.license.

Mike

I called my state farm rep yesterday. He said no antique policies on commercial trucks. I would need a commercial policy. My father had Hagerty for a while and it worked.fine. He has gulfway on his Superliner and can pull a trailer and has not had problems, but we have not submitted any claims either. Your truck looks great. I would cover up that sticker before.you apply for.license.

Mike

Haha thanks Mike its funny you said that, I knew you would. You are right the old Fuel tax sticker needs to go. Im gonna heat it up and see if I can make it go away. Just faxed my info into Gulfway...awaiting reply now. Seems everybody is happy with Gulfway but never had a claim....I imagine thats the reason they are willing to insure us....we dont wreck these trucks on a regular basis.

I like keeping the old stickers. You can cover it with green paper if you like it. Your garage looks really nice. Id fill that up really quick.

Mike

Thank you much! I thought it was nice and big when we built it....then I started putting stuff in it...not so big. Its kinda empty in that picture I showed but thats just because I fired some things up and got em out of the way to get the Mack out. I dont think it matters how big you build, when you're like us theres just never enough room.

Speaking of which, how is your cleanup going down there?