Stainless Fuel Tank Straps

Up here in the Great White North (Canada) the steel tank straps last about 5-6 years due to corrosion issues.

The difference in price if I`m not mistaken at our dealers was less then $50 bucks.

The stainless straps have lasted over 10 years in comparison.

But that may just be a road salt issue use up here in the winter. You can clean them and paint them all you want, they still don`t last as long. For me its worth the up charge.

Well I was gonna order some stainless straps till I found out the price. $122.00 ea. Wow Baby!

They are not difficult to make yourself. Have a sheet metal shop shear to 304 stainless strip to width, drill a hole in the ends for a stainless "T" bolt to fit through, drill four smaller holes for plug welding, install the bolt through the hole and roll the end to the inside so the holes will be against the fuel tank. Hold it together and plug weld the strap together with stainless filler material You then grind the inside welds flush, and polish the blued surface you will see to a brilliant luster.

All straps are different so you will have to make them fit your application.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

They are not difficult to make yourself. Have a sheet metal shop shear to 304 stainless strip to width, drill a hole in the ends for a stainless "T" bolt to fit through, drill four smaller holes for plug welding, install the bolt through the hole and roll the end to the inside so the holes will be against the fuel tank. Hold it together and plug weld the strap together with stainless filler material You then grind the inside welds flush, and polish the blued surface you will see to a brilliant luster.

All straps are different so you will have to make them fit your application.

Rob

I think the Rob fab shop needs to start assembly line production of stainless straps along with plastic heater vents