Detroit Powered Superliner

I would like to know the last year a 8V-71 was offered in the Superliner.Also what is the prefix for a Detroit powered Superliner and the model number? What would it be for a glider kit? Some of the other truck manufacturers start it out with GC#. Thanks in advance.Joe D.

I would like to know the last year a 8V-71 was offered in the Superliner.Also what is the prefix for a Detroit powered Superliner and the model number? What would it be for a glider kit?

"73" was used for the 8v-71. There was a lot of R773ST made by Allentown and they were mostly for Roadway.

And RL's and RS's in Hayward that used the engine, then the RW Superliner which came out in about 1975. Somebody who can look it up. please do.

Now the 8v-71 went to the 8v-71T (1978?) and that wasn't known for holding up very well. Then the engine was punched to 92 cubic inches per hole and that was a worse engine. I don't know whether the 8v-92T used the number "73" or not, I suspect not.

Glider kits especially back then you used the VIN of the repaired vehicle, that's a state law thing and it too may have changed. I know you can buy new Freightliner glider kit trucks today with pre-emission ReCon N14's and register them as new trucks, at least in some states.

Detroit had over 40% of market share in 1971 and fell to 4% by the time the Series 60 came out. Then Roger Penske bought them and restored their penetration.

I've checked my books and can't find where a 8V71 was offered in the Superliner,just 6V92 and 8V92.

73 was the code for the 8V71,so if it did exist,a steel framed 8V71 powered Superliner would be a RWS773LST.

If it was a glider,it would say RWS700K on the tag.

That Superliner has been on Ebay several times,don't know what the full story is on it.

Thanks to all who answered my questions about Detroit powered Superliners.

Superdog. The Superliner you said was on Ebay several times is that the one in Peekslill,N.Y.? It is only about 100 miles from me I was going to look at it. When he said it had a 318 in it and was a1987? it did not seem right to me too new for a 8V-71.For a truck with less than 100.000 miles on it the cab looks like it has seen a lot of salt on roads.You are right about the 8v-92 as a bad engine I bought a new one in 1979 it was one of the worst engines I owned new another engine I do not care for is the C12 or C13 Cat lots of head gasket and turbo problems.I have a Detroit Series 60 515 HP. in a 2005 Western Star so far it has been a good engine.I had a R Model 237 that saved my Butt from loosing everything it would not quit working. It still is used today I sold it to Bolus Freight Lines in Scranton,Pa.over 20 years ago they made a roll-off to pull a race car with it. Joe D.

P.S. If this is the same truck you are talking about , do you think it is a scam as I do not want to waste a trip for nothing.

Edited by Joe Ditchkus

Joe,

I don't know if it's a scam or not.I never watched it all the way thru to see if it sold.It's definately not a '87,more likely a '78.It's not priced out of line,if you were looking for one to fix up.I sent the guy a question asking for the VIN,hopefully he will respond.The code for the 8V92 is "70"I think."26" is the code for a 6V92,will see if it comes back with either of those numbers,but I'd bet it's a glider kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was working at Continental Baking when the 6V92s came out, and we had a bunch of them in Freightshaker cabovers. Some of them were beat pulling turnpike doubles or running against the governor all day and night and blew up before 200,000 miles. On the other hand, an old guy and I shared one, drove it 55 (we got paid by the hour), and generally babied it- it finally blew after he retired and when I was on vacation with over 600,000 miles on it. The bakeries in Oregon and Washington had some of these with 8V-92s and they were pretty reliable. I suspect the 92 series, sharing a lot of parts with the 71 series, was just too overstressed to live at full power for long.

Halliburton had a whole fleet of Cruiseliner nonsleeper tandems with 6V92s also, last saw them in the late 90s in the Williston Basin. Last time I stopped by their shop there all the big trucks were gone, just some pickups and SUVs for the supervisors to ride around in-Looks like they contracted out all the real work to subbies...

We never expected more than 300,000 out of our 6v92's. Like someone said they spent all day on the governor that's the only way to get any power out of them. We built ours in house so we had them juiced and they would pull good. Oh to go back to an oil leak on wheels sometimes beats this new stuff.

Oh to go back to an oil leak on wheels sometimes beats this new stuff.

How i agree w/ that statement id rather have a ole 2 stroke screamin jimmy or a NTC or NH SERES Cummins or a E6 OR E7 :mack1: Motor than some this newer stuff . easier to work on too ;)

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Used to be a old IH cabover in a field nearby - had a 12V-71 Detroit. I always wanted to rescue it, but it was too far gone. The engine was longer then the cab, back in the day this thing musta been a real powerhouse.

Brad

Cuba, Mo

1960 Mack B61

1985 Mack R686

1970 IH Loadstar 1600