What is the longest a straight truck can legally be?

Olivetroad

We put together a hay haulin' truck for moving hay around here. I made it out of a mix of goodies from some scrap Ford trucks.

The truck was a wrecked 1997 8000 Ford. The front axle, front clip, and other front goodies are off a 70's Ford 900 and a 95 Ford 8000. The engine is a 8.3 cummins that I had stored in case I ever needed it for my crane truck. I thought I might as well use it and keep it limbered up.

The bed is 30 feet long and we have been hauling 18 big bales on it that are around 1700 pounds each (I know, I can do the math, yes-sir-ree we are overloaded on the rear axle).

Now that we like it so well, I am thinking of making one that is longer as I have been putting up some hay further away from home. I want to stick with a straight truck as the fields we go into in the summer are way off road and my sons drive it so I don't want to use trailers that somehow they figure out how to jacknife in the middle of a flat field sometimes.

My question is: What is the longest I can legally make a straight truck? I plan to use a tandem axle R model Mack tractor stretched out for the next one.

post-6658-0-46685400-1324163545_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-77801300-1324163557_thumb.jp

Depending on the state I think. If I am not mistaken it is along the lines of 45 or 50' with out a pivot. I could be off it has been years since I thought of that when a friend of mine was going to make something and like all his other stuff it never happened but I know it was going to be long

Last time I checked it was 40' for two axles and 45' for three axles in most states.

If 40 feet is all you get, I bet I am already there when you include from the front bumper to the back of the current bed. Would a air tag gain me the extra 5 feet or does it have to be a fixed axle?

If 40 feet is all you get, I bet I am already there when you include from the front bumper to the back of the current bed. Would a air tag gain me the extra 5 feet or does it have to be a fixed axle?

The 2003 Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas (page A16) has the State/Provincial weight and size limits for the various states. Walk into any truck stop and flip through the front section of a 2012 to make sure it hasn't changed....but this one here that I have handy by the computer says Missouri allows 45' straight trucks.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The 2003 Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas (page A16) has the State/Provincial weight and size limits for the various states. Walk into any truck stop and flip through the front section of a 2012 to make sure it hasn't changed....but this one here that I have handy by the computer says Missouri allows 45' straight trucks.

Thanks! - it looks like 45 feet is my limit, that would allow me to haul four more bales than now.

Since you are from SoIL, and you are helpfull, you must be a trap shooter.