Lanova Preheater

speweik

With the cold weather finally here, the old Mack (lanova) is starting pretty hard. Originally, there was a diesel fired preheater burner in the air intake line. I have some of the parts ( jets and points) for it, but no pump or coil. My guess is that an electric pump ran the outfit with a small coil to ignite the atomized fuel. Does anyone have a complete set up so I can figure out how it works and sop using a propane torch to help with starting. Thanks! Corey

I'm definitely planning on an electric block heater, but am fascinated by the original setup. Theres something about obsolete technology that I find interesting...

I bought a new TN75 Ford New-Holland farm tractor in '04 that has the same preheater set up - it works great.

Never saw it work or tried to make it work but we had one in an LF

it was a hand pump under the dash to the right of the steering column

had a plate on the dash with instructions that looked like a paragraph out of a novel!

There is a button on the dash right next to the starter button to activate the preheater. It Is a momentary type switch which led me to believe that it drove an electric fuel pump, but now the mention of the hand pump has me wondering....

You mean the diesel burner style?

Yes, it is a air intake heater that uses diesel fuel. You hold a button in on the dash for a minute or so and that opens a tiny fuel valve and sprays diesel onto a hot coil which burns the fuel in a sort of small combustion chamber in the air intake. The tractor also has a electric block heater, but I never use it. If it is cold, it fires right up if you use the air intake heater. I have always wondered when it will quit working or start a unwanted fire, but no pro-blem-o yet!

That style set up with the diesel fuel pre heater was common on cummins engines. It had a large glow plug and a hand pump pressurised oil burner nozzle in the intake. The hand primer could probably be sourced from one of these cummins powered units since they were much more common than lanovas.

That style set up with the diesel fuel pre heater was common on cummins engines. It had a large glow plug and a hand pump pressurised oil burner nozzle in the intake. The hand primer could probably be sourced from one of these cummins powered units since they were much more common than lanovas.

I took some pictures today of the parts I have. The piece below bolts onto the air intake line (on top of the intake manifold). Looks like I would need a coil and the pump. Any idea if this piece is the same as on the cummins?

post-6382-0-77588400-1322963076_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-21606100-1322963120_thumb.jp

I've seen guys use a small air reservoir set to 15psi to atomize the fuel spray. I assume the nozzle is probably a "Delavan" at about 90 degrees spray pattern? Usually you want the engine cranking when engaging the heater system so the engine fires quickly.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.