Odds and Ends

other dog

I guess i'm old school,but i subscibe to the "spare the rod,spoil the child" theory,my son knows i dont play around in matters of behavior,education,manners etc. i get so tired of hearing about how "little johhny" cant behave,"acts out",or learn in school because of video games,ADD or some other bullshit,if the parents would take the time to raise their children,and become involved in their day to day activities,there would not be half the crap going on that you read about everyday. My parents were strict with me,instilled values,morals and a good work ethic in me,and wanted better for me then they had it,and theres not many a day that i'm not thankful for that,kids today just fail to see the value in working for a living(or anything),seems they think they are "entitled" and want everything handed to them,not so in my house! guess it comes down to taking resposibility for your actions,aint no free rides.......................................Mark

Thats how I was raised, but it's not old school , it's just plain old family values uncorrupted by the schools or T.V.

I was raised by strict parents, L.I. potato farmers on my moms side and baymen on my fathers side. Learned at an early age to work for what you want and that do any job with pride. The two main things they taught was that if you can't afford it you probably don't really need it, and families take care of their own.

My sons have the same values and my grand son does too. Although the school "career counselor is trying hard to change that. He wants to go the Wyo-Tech to be a diesel Mechanic. His counselor keeps telling his that manual labor is for emigrants. I won't get political but maybe POGO POSSUM said it be" we met the enemy and he is us". Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thats how I was raised, but it's not old school , it's just plain old family values uncorrupted by the schools or T.V.

I was raised by strict parents, L.I. potato farmers on my moms side and baymen on my fathers side. Learned at an early age to work for what you want and that do any job with pride. The two main things they taught was that if you can't afford it you probably don't really need it, and families take care of their own.

My sons have the same values and my grand son does too. Although the school "career counselor is trying hard to change that. He wants to go the Wyo-Tech to be a diesel Mechanic. His counselor keeps telling his that manual labor is for emigrants. I won't get political but maybe POGO POSSUM said it be" we met the enemy and he is us". Paul

Paul, I think it's time to go see a school counselor. Some of the people I know have long Home Schooled their kids and are having better results.

mike

I went with his mom to see the "counselor", I sat there fighting of the urge to choke him. He explained to us how America works. Took him down to Ocala with me, had a good talk with my grandson (well, I mostly listened) and set up a game plan. He's out of school in July and was already accepted in Wyo-Tech. Got him an after school and saturday job at H.O. Penn the local Cat dealer fueling up and cleaning their equipment and general shop helper. He's got a real passion for trucks and equipment.. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Aptitude is good, but attitude is everything. If he want's to be the best in the world, he just has to have that mind set.

A little encouragement helps. I like trucks myself, but tracks might be a better way. Construction is not over in this country, and a really good track mechanic can demand a lot more for his talents.

Aptitude is good, but attitude is everything. If he want's to be the best in the world, he just has to have that mind set.

A little encouragement helps. I like trucks myself, but tracks might be a better way. Construction is not over in this country, and a really good track mechanic can demand a lot more for his talents.

Yep. He seems to like the Heavy equipment alot more than the trucks. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Grandad (my hero) when i told him a wanted to drive trucks- "well you too fat ta' play ball,too ugly to be on TV,and too dumb to teach school" so like me and your father before,i think truckins' the logical choice!............................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.