New to trucking-

JakeCheez

So, I just bought my first truck (2001 ch613)

Some specs:

10 speed FRO EF tranny.

E7 ETECH 380hp Mack.

It's a tandem axle daycab. I will be hauling a side dump for my job.

I have been driving straight truck dumps for 2 years, but they had straight 6 trannnys and I could handle it well.

I only have about 30hrs behind the wheel of my Mack and I am struggling with shifting it (downshifting is proving to be more difficult).

I am teaching myself to drive and I would appreciate any help.

I don't know very much about this new Tractor, so any insight, info, help or advice would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for helping me through-

So, I just bought my first truck (2001 ch613)

Some specs:

10 speed FRO EF tranny.

E7 ETECH 380hp Mack.

It's a tandem axle daycab. I will be hauling a side dump for my job.

I have been driving straight truck dumps for 2 years, but they had straight 6 trannnys and I could handle it well.

I only have about 30hrs behind the wheel of my Mack and I am struggling with shifting it (downshifting is proving to be more difficult).

I am teaching myself to drive and I would appreciate any help.

I don't know very much about this new Tractor, so any insight, info, help or advice would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for helping me through-

You might have someone that is familiar with the drivetrain your truck has drive it to verify everything is as it should be. It is hard to learn on new and unfamiliar equipment if it itself is flawed. Most Mack dealers will willingly drive your truck as a courtesy for evaluation as it is good business practice.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

How are you shifting? Are you short shifting,Running the rpm's up high. Are you trying to skip gears? 10 speeds are fairly easy and almost bullet proof.are you using the button in the front of the shifter? Are you sure it is not a super 10? little grey button on side only nothing in front. Driven 10 speeds for along time. Here is my number I can try to help you out as much as I can over the phone. 954-895-0977 Randy

The Mack guys drove the truck with me and I had a Mack mechanic (a friend) drive te truck as well before I bought it. Everyone said it drives and shifts good.

To shift, I have been bringing the RPMs to 1300 and pulling out, then trying to slide into the next gear before it drops below 1000. It is really tough to get it there that fast. I will definetly try shifting at a higher range (18-20).

don't feel bad Jake, i've been driving almost 33 years now and driven about every kind of transmission there is, but this last truck I got- the one with the weak paccar engine- has a 10 speed and it's driving me crazy. I can't seem to get the sumbitch in gear without scraping except once in a while by accident. Upshifting isn't too bad, but I catch hell trying to downshift it. And all the other drivers say the same thing. I'll get it figured out eventually I guess, or scatter it all over the highway. Then maybe Jeff will put a 13 back in it. He already says he screwed up by not getting 13 speeds in the first place. The 10 speed with little horsepower and 3.25 rears is just not a good setup for this part of the country.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

don't feel bad Jake, i've been driving almost 33 years now and driven about every kind of transmission there is, but this last truck I got- the one with the weak paccar engine- has a 10 speed and it's driving me crazy. I can't seem to get the sumbitch in gear without scraping except once in a while by accident. Upshifting isn't too bad, but I catch hell trying to downshift it. And all the other drivers say the same thing. I'll get it figured out eventually I guess, or scatter it all over the highway. Then maybe Jeff will put a 13 back in it. He already says he screwed up by not getting 13 speeds in the first place. The 10 speed with little horsepower and 3.25 rears is just not a good setup for this part of the country.

That combination definately sounds like a "flatland country" type of driveline. Certainly not for where you are at, and run. He ought to seek getting the trans changed to as you suggest, a thirteen speed. I'd have a hard time with the rear axle gearing also.

It must be about CAFE, (corporate average fuel economy) that would allow a truck to be scec'd that way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That combination definately sounds like a "flatland country" type of driveline. Certainly not for where you are at, and run. He ought to seek getting the trans changed to as you suggest, a thirteen speed. I'd have a hard time with the rear axle gearing also.

It must be about CAFE, (corporate average fuel economy) that would allow a truck to be scec'd that way.

Rob

that, or the salesman ought to get some kind of sales award for selling this crap to 'em- it is definately a flat ground truck.

What is kinda funny or strange is how the same transmission behind different engines acts. For instance, my R612, and the RL755L had the same trans, (RTO-12513) yet the Mack engine required the shifting to be about twice as fast as the Cat powered truck. It took me a few times out to learn to shift what is seemingly really slowwwwww in the RL while the engine wound down to avoid gear clash.

Rob

yeah, the 18 speed is the greatest, 13's aren't bad, but the old 10 speed roadranger with the 350 Cummins I drove was all right too. This new one is just a different aminal I guess.

I like the 13 speed myself,having never driven an 18 speed (i know their similar) i also really liked the 14 speed spicer,) but i have to agree,i REALLY dont like 10 speeds,never did! Most of the "fleet" type trucks you see nowadays are either 10 speeds or automatics (another no-no in a truck,as far as i'm concerned) i test drove a truck years ago with an allison auto,almost put my foot through the floor looking for the clutch when i went to stop!......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

i hate driving these newer trucks where computer changing injection timeing an such,..effects how it shifts an cant really get use to it ever changing,..like a woman!! these new merterl transmissions blow chunks!! always liked a 9 better than a 10 but a back box swap make a 9 a 13!! like a 125-13 behind a cummins a 15 behind a cat,...tryed 9 an 10s with these mack 427s an think a vet should put all 3 dawgs down! electronic malfunction!!!! cant believe the bulbs in that warning light ant burnt out yet on all 3!!

i spent all day at the pits and driving around country roads. I finally got through all 10 gears up and down without grinding. The trick was to stop being so damn clinical with it. I gave it more throttle (to bring it to 18-20) and shifted smooth. I covered up the tach and drove by sound and feel- Then it finally clicked.

Thanks guys

i spent all day at the pits and driving around country roads. I finally got through all 10 gears up and down without grinding. The trick was to stop being so damn clinical with it. I gave it more throttle (to bring it to 18-20) and shifted smooth. I covered up the tach and drove by sound and feel- Then it finally clicked.

Thanks guys

that's another problem with ths new truck- I can't even hear the engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, not having a working radio for the first few weeks helped me learn the sounds and now that I got the radio working, im learning to go by feel- cuz I can't barely hear it anymore!!!

Moms- yeah its an mbe trailer. I just got hired on as an owner/op. I was driving straight truck for them for 2 years, but I wanted to pull a trailer. after only 4 days of work, I'm really getting comfortable in this thing!