How We Pay Drivers

BMT Forum Bot

My guess would be poorly? contrary to the governments and trucking companies opinion,there is only a shortage of GOOD drivers! ATA's been "debating" the underpaid driver question for longer than i have been a truckdriver (34+ years) conferences,meetings,hearings and yet NOTHING ever gets done! havent been any major/significant changes in driver pay and working conditions in decades,and i doubt there ever will be! drivers are sometimes their own worst enemy,hell, most days you cant get 2 drivers to agree on what day of the week it is! only when shippers and consignees are held partially responsible for delays/excess waiting time etc.will things improve,and that will never happen! most companies charge delay time (after 2 hours) but the driver may be lucky to see $10-20 for 4-12+ hours waiting time,and still be expected to make the next days delivery on time. Some "big" trucking companies rate of pay is so low you'd have to run 4-5000 miles a week to make any money,which of course CANNOT be done legally (by a single driver) so theres the "catch22" time you figure in meals,expenses,etc it does'nt take an accountant to figure out how far you're in the shitter at the end of the week!..............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

What is the per mile rate that an owner operator with his own authority should be charging? I'm sure there are different figures; I'm curious as to the range.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

What is the per mile rate that an owner operator with his own authority should be charging? I'm sure there are different figures; I'm curious as to the range.

Denny

Too many variables to give a generic quote,ie: type of freight hauled,LTL/truckload,region,seasonal etc. a man with a payment,mortgage,etc. cant really break even at anything much under $2.00 a loaded mile.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My guess would be poorly? contrary to the governments and trucking companies opinion,there is only a shortage of GOOD drivers! ATA's been "debating" the underpaid driver question for longer than i have been a truckdriver (34+ years) conferences,meetings,hearings and yet NOTHING ever gets done! havent been any major/significant changes in driver pay and working conditions in decades,and i doubt there ever will be! drivers are sometimes their own worst enemy,hell, most days you cant get 2 drivers to agree on what day of the week it is! only when shippers and consignees are held partially responsible for delays/excess waiting time etc.will things improve,and that will never happen! most companies charge delay time (after 2 hours) but the driver may be lucky to see $10-20 for 4-12+ hours waiting time,and still be expected to make the next days delivery on time. Some "big" trucking companies rate of pay is so low you'd have to run 4-5000 miles a week to make any money,which of course CANNOT be done legally (by a single driver) so theres the "catch22" time you figure in meals,expenses,etc it does'nt take an accountant to figure out how far you're in the shitter at the end of the week!..............................Mark

One has to wonder how many of the recent driver salary increases were ate up having to buy more expensive trucks with all that EPA mandated crap built in? Seriously...$10-15K extra per truck, at a company that replaces their trucks every 3-5 years...that's anywhere between $2000 ($10K/5 years) and $5000 ($15K/3 years) that COULD have been applied in whole or in part to driver salary increases. If the driver earns $40K per year, the EPA induced truck price increase ate up a potential 5-10% pay increase.

Denny

As much as he can get the shipper or broker to agree to, but never any less than his cost to operate his truck (fuel, maintenance, repairs, driver salary, insurance, tags, permits, etc...)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I remember 15 years ago 2.00 a mile was good. It paid fuel,tags ,plates and maintaince, with profit left over so you could own a home and see weekends... Now I see rates as low as 1.30 or team rates at 40 cpm. Fast forward to today where truck price,Fuel, tags and insurance has doubled. Yet the blind new drivers keep marching in to the slaughter house

Denny

If you figure in the actual cost to keep the truck running an average of 120,000 miles per year it will be close to or higher than a buck a mile. That does not account for personal expense at all. Truck and trailer payments not included either. Another thing, loaded or empty the operating cost is virtually the same. The overwhelming difference, no revenue. In today's climate, I wonder why anyone wants a truck.
  • Like 1