Opinions of Miller recovery products?

GearheadGrrrl

I knew Miller manufactured towing / recovery accessories and was a world wide distributor of the major recovery equipment companies products.I did not think they made entire wrecker units.

I just bought a new Weldbilt equipment carrier unit for my R model and all the accessories are Miller products. They appear to be a high quality manufacturer.

When I worked at a Century dealer in the 70's the slings and other towing equipment supplied with each unit was a Miller product. I've always had good luck with what products I've used. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

http://www.millerind.com/

Miller makes the majority of heavy recovery units built for use in the U.S. I personally like the Centruy line of heavy recovery units. They market Holmes, Vulcan, Chevron, Century, Challenger, Champion, Eagle, Bonafice & I believe a few others. As far as I know, as I have not been as involved in recent years as I use to be in Towing & Recovery AATAC, Jerr-Dan & NRC are still around as well as a few others. I have heard a rumor that Miller has also bought out Bill Bottoms, who owns(ed) B & B but have not seen it in print.

Below is the 1995 Mack CH613/Century 5030 that I use to run.

post-45-0-11604300-1320885195_thumb.jpg

Never ran a wrecker bigger then a roll back unless a Landoll counts. Loved going to the Fl tow show and watching the Nrc displays. Those are awsome units. I have always wanted to run a big wrecker just for the challenges of some of the recoveries. But after driving a small wrecker it will be a cold day in hell before I ever EVER even think of driving any kind of wrecker again.

Miller is another one of those "great consolidators" in the marketplace. They tend to buy up the smaller guy and operate the company semi autonomous. Many of the products offered by the Miller group are results of innovations from smaller companies that are then purchased.

For a short time I had a Champion steel flatbed. It was not that great and the rails wore quite rapidly. It was replaced with a much nicer Century bed. Both of these are Miller products and I really didn't have any problems but when depreciation time came about, the representing dealer was definately willing to undercut, and talk down anybody else they didn't represent. I found this to be a "turn off" and unprofessional. I wound up purchasing a "No-Mar" brand carrier and subsequently three more over time due to both dealer support on both the structural and engineering ends, plus a seemingly personal interest that the equipment was meeting/exceeding my needs. I can't say there was really any type of problems other than minor along to way, but I was hard on drivers that didn't maintain equipment properly.

No-Mar was a small company owned and operated by the Buske family out of Pocahontas, IA for many years. They are gone now and I find this most unfortunate as their business etique was what, and how an american company needs to be run. I felt their pricing was not out of line, and the equipment heavier than needed to do the job, but the rendered service far outweighed any detractors. When you had a problem or question, you talked to Chuck Buske himself, and he knew the product line. When I expressed interest in purchasing my first carrier, I was invited for a complete, (and I mean complete) tour of the production facility. This started in the office, and ended at the delivery station encompassing all facets of production from raw steel to finished product. I was free to intermingle amongst the production employees at will also. No such luck with a Miller product.

Keep in mind I support small business strongly in my endeavors as small business supports me. Purchase that conglomerate produced item and you help shut another small business down.

Just my opinion(s).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.