Mack 12 speed question...

Well Im looking to buy a truck and the one im looking at has a 12 speed. Would it have a .71 final ratio like a 9 spd or an 18 spd?

I think I would much rather have an 18 spd over a 9 for sure and splitting of gears on the high side would sure beat the hell out of that. I do realize that the 12 splits on the high side too, I just have never been around them at all. Thanks in advance Joe

I just luv the way mack have thort of drivers by having a good selection of reverse gears th@ can B shiftedprogressively jist like in the forward gears

gallery_3420_646_346713.jpg

gallery_3420_646_68292.jpg

gallery_3420_646_454784.jpg

gallery_3420_646_650203.jpg

(Clik on pic for a printer friendly size pic of 800 x 1100 pixels)

cya

§wishy

Edited by Swishy
  • Like 1

the 12 speed will also have stronger gears than the 18 speed... IMO the 12 speed is the best trans behind the 300-350 macks. drive like a 5 speed empty and can split them all when loaded. most times I would just run 1-2-3 in direct then split 4th and 5th. some times only needing to split 5th. great when trying to keep the RPMs up on a hill. or keep EGTs down.

• 3 weeks later...

I just luv the way mack have thort of drivers by having a good selection of reverse gears th@ can B shiftedprogressively jist like in the forward gears

gallery_3420_646_346713.jpg

gallery_3420_646_68292.jpg

gallery_3420_646_454784.jpg

gallery_3420_646_650203.jpg

(Clik on pic for a printer friendly size pic of 800 x 1100 pixels)

cya

§wishy

I rebuilt one of these in collage. Great unit solid and lovely.

ya bollweevil is right.look on side of trans.if it says trtxl107 its 1 to 1.trtxl1070 is overdrive .78.

I had the TRTXL 1070 in my 84 Super Liner behind an E-9 you cant match the power to the tranny any better than that setup with 4:42 rears it will pull every trail on the interstate all by itself, I believe the correct trans numbers are the trtxl 1070 is 1:1 and the trtxl 1070B is OD I had looked into replacing my 1070 with the 1070 b to get the OD make sure you replace the screw on air filter on the trans every service they get moisture and crud in the air solenoids and act a fool then you have to take them apart and clean them out and go back together again ( I did it twice takes me a while to get the hint) of course my truck did not have an air dryer it had the screw on air filter on the tranny newer trucks may be set up differently but either way water and crud = bad!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"