Well Dammit:

Rob

Damned thing starved out again while moving it last night. Seems I forgot to tighten the suction hose fitting at the tank after starting it by hand. One of those things I forgot to do when the telephone broke my limited train of thought. Simple fix but sure a pain in the ass. Getting these V8's to prime with no hand primer pump is difficult so I built up a regulator and apply 35 psi to the tank while the vent bleeds. It sure helps to force fuel through the system till the air is purged in the fuel gallery within the pump. Silicone lubricant spray helps to get the engine running so you don't have to grind on the starter for several minutes.

If I had my gorilla I'd just have her crank it around with a bar but ole randyp is being a little selfish these days.

Rob

In the past I've used a piece of bike tube attached to the neck of the fuel tank with a hose clamp,worked great and won't blow up the tank.

In the past I've used a piece of bike tube attached to the neck of the fuel tank with a hose clamp,worked great and won't blow up the tank.

You are very correct about blowing a tank as they were never designed to contain pressure. This is why I limit charge pressure to 35psi. I actually drilled and tapped a brass fuel cap for 1/4" pipe thread, and using a close nipple threaded an air regulator directly to the cap. A high pressure air line connected to the inlet of the regulator that is turned down to 35psi works great. Never have swollen an end bell yet but did blow the rusty sump out of the bottom of the predecessor tank to what is now installed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Once upon a time a Swift driver was traveling through central Illinois. He saw a man in his driveway looking into the fuel tank of an R-model Mack with a flashlight.

So he stops and says "hey, are you out of fuel?"

The man in the driveway says "naw, i'm from right here in Farmington, where are you outa'?"

So ah where was the guy from Rob???

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So ah where was the guy from Rob???

With my answer he made the assumption I was not smart enough to drive for "Swift", so he left before I could ask.

I've since wondered.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

With my answer he made the assumption I was not smart enough to drive for "Swift", so he left before I could ask.

I've since wondered.

Rob

Wow....ya learn something new every day. I was completely unaware swift even HAD a "minimum" standard. :blush:

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Wow....ya learn something new every day. I was completely unaware swift even HAD a "minimum" standard. :blush:

Yes they do. You must be able to open the door, turn the key to start the engine, and mash the yellow, and red buttons to move. After that, no further training required. Just look on the hiways for the evidence.

Rob

• Like 1

WTF? A google image search for "Swift Truck Ditch" turned up an image....of my truck....taken in my driveway....posted on this here website!

l_b9b27157ba094527b610a9f44f3e42ed.jpg

....Ever see a truck pulling a van trailer hung up in the ditch as it was making a corner with two drive tires completely off the ground? It'll usually have "Swift" on the side...but I digress....

:pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!