Gotta a quick question about MH battries need answer Quick Please!

I am trying to get my 1986 Mack MH 613 with a 300 Mack engine ready for a show this weekend and it has four 6 volt battries. Well come to find out 2 of them are dead and 2 of them are good but don't have the money to buy 2 new ones was wondering if I could put 2 12 volt battries for it to run instead of 4 6 volt battries. Don't know is it a 12 volt system with dal paths or a 24 volt starting system. Needing some help on this guys would really appreciate it plus needing it quick. Thanks for anyi nfo in advance.

Corey B. Price

Sparta,TN 38583post-2363-0-88984600-1316688025_thumb.jp

Proclaiming JESUS as SAVIOR to Truckers and all the World!!!!

Generally speaking, two 12's can replace four 6's and work just fine. I have done it with tractors, army trucks, etc. Just find the positive and negative for the 6 volt pair and delete the jumper. Techno heads will start quoting amp hours, reserve amps, blah, blah, blah, LOL..!! Just go buy two of the best 12's you can afford and go for it...!! I attached a photo of my 5 Ton Military tractor with 2 twelves replacing four sixes, which is a true 24 volt system. I am betting your truck is 12 volt.

post-9482-0-65155300-1316695063_thumb.jp

Edited by jdfordhd

"If it ain't got a motor, I ain't interested.!!"

I use two 12v (925cca) in all my trucks. This far south we don't have many mornings below freeziing and have never had problems with the change. Newer trucks come with only three 12v. We put both batteries on the driver side (closest to the starter) and unhook the cables from the other side. Run + and - from one battery to the starter and the two jumpers + to + and - to - (parallel hook up) between the two batteries.

Thanks guys got two good 6 volts onone side and bought a 12 volt for the other side and it worked good. East bound and down!!!

I'd get another 12VDC batter asap. The six volt cells you have are "aged" and will draw on the new one shortening it's lifespan. Although they may test good, being in parallel with another cell they will work together.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.