Need Help Headlight Adjust Nut/screw Volvo

My headlight adjusting nut/screw is broken on my 1990 White/GM (basically a Volvo)

It has square headlights held in place at three points: vertical nut (top left), horizontal nut (bottom right) and pivot (top right)

I need all of these parts to stop the headlight from flopping around in the headlight bucket.

Dealer says parts are no longer sold (individually or as a larger assembly) and can't get as after market either

The headlight is apparently a Bosch.

I really appreciate any ideas/solutions. A .50 cent part is keeping the truck from making $$

My headlight adjusting nut/screw is broken on my 1990 White/GM (basically a Volvo)

It has square headlights held in place at three points: vertical nut (top left), horizontal nut (bottom right) and pivot (top right)

I need all of these parts to stop the headlight from flopping around in the headlight bucket.

Dealer says parts are no longer sold (individually or as a larger assembly) and can't get as after market either

The headlight is apparently a Bosch.

I really appreciate any ideas/solutions. A .50 cent part is keeping the truck from making $$

Get a photo posted. I have boxes of headlamps adjusters and may be able to get something to work. If not, glass the hole shut and install generic as I've done several times.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If Rob can't help, DORMAN makes replacement head lamp adjusts for most apps going back to the 70's. You should be able to match up what you need. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

You should congratulate yourself for trying to maintain a piece of equipment Volvo never intended to be in existence 2.5 times passed it's expected lifespan.

What you have there is a proprietary type adjuster and they were never available in the aftermarket. This is what I was afraid of and have seen many times in the past with European based designing. You will need to fabricate your own type adjuster using stainless fasteners and nylon type plastic. This is not difficult but you need to obtain a piece of nylon type plastic that will drill and tap threads into and will also fit the rectangle "slot" the former adjuster occupied. The drilled and tapped plastic piece will provide your fore and aft adjustment. You may need to build a laminate of plastic sections to close the gap between the part on the actual headlamp and this adjuster also. You would then drill a hole through the complete assembly and using stainless hardware, bolt it together sandwiching the "ear" on the headlamp to your new adjuster.

Time consuming and aggravating I know but this is what it takes at times.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob.

While not the answer I was hoping for, at least I know for sure what direction to go.

Nothing is ever easy it seems but that job is quite easy. Don't try to get by with plexiglass, lexan, or any other acetate based material as the repair will be short lived. I've suggested nylon because it will hold up to the heat and vibration.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

While not the answer I was hoping for, at least I know for sure what direction to go.

While I may sound dopy, but why don't you take one of the adjusters and try a Volvo Car dealer or a Foreign auto parts store? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hi,hope you can help,my headlight adjusters alos broken on both sides(S40 R reg),I have just been quoted 74.00 PER adjuster by Volvo Croydon,not the 12.40 ish I was expecting...They also did not recognise the parts number.

if your still having problems,,i would use small L backets,nuts,washers.adjust accordingly,and tighten everthing,,but you have to be some what mechanical,and creative,might have to get a hand with this one...hope this helps.good luck,bob

if your still having problems,,i would use small L backets,nuts,washers.adjust accordingly,and tighten everthing,,but you have to be some what mechanical,and creative,might have to get a hand with this one,and ye i would have expected 1240ish myself...hope this helps.good luck,bob

• 2 months later...