Keep Mack Alive

There is a lot of discusion on this site about Volvo owning Mack and how they will destroy Mack as they did White, Autocar etc. There is a simple solution to keeeping the Mack line alive. Buy Mack across all lines and models. Buy less Volvos Shakers etc. Volvo won't kill a good thing. Make sure you work with your salesmen to make sure your truck is speced right. Getting a wrong speced truck only contributes to bad feelings towards a manufacturer. If Volvo does eventually squeeze out the Mack name they will have no need for it and will probably sell the rights to it as they did with Autocar. There is no way the Mack legend will die if customers stay loyal and keep buying Macks. Enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Amen!

We need to continually remind Mack AND Volvo dealers and representatives that if we wanted Eaton or Meritor drivetrains we'd just as well buy them in an International or Sterling and save a few thousand dollars. We need to swarm over the sleeper cab Pinnacles and Rawhides at the truck shows and dealer lots, reminding the Mack folks that we want a truck that will survive a million miles of bad roads, and then some. We need to let Volvo know that while their Volvo trucks are OK for cruising the interstates, where we drive only a real Mack will survive!

Even when you try to buy a new Mack they're already half Volvo. Volvo engines. Volvo front axles. Built in a Volvo plant. I passed the Hagerstown engine plant last Monday. From I-81 you can see the "VOLVO", but you need to be in the parking lot to read the "mack" on the side of the water tank.

Volvo makes a great truck for cruising up and down the Interstates. But a Volvo, even their VHD "construction" series, isn't going to last as long in the dirt or perform as well as a Mack. Volvo's T- ride is only half as clever as Mack's camelback rear suspension, Eaton/Meritor axles will never last as long as Mack's double reduction ones, and Eaton trannies with their mere two countershafts will fail when a Maxitorque is just loosening up.

I'm surprised Volvo hasn't offered the Maxidyne engine and Maxitorque transmission in their Volvo trucks... But that would be admitting that Macks designs were superior. I suspect Volvo's Swedish management thinks of Mack trucks as the quaint product of a bunch of hicks from the sticks.

Volvo makes a great truck for cruising up and down the Interstates. But a Volvo, even their VHD "construction" series, isn't going to last as long in the dirt or perform as well as a Mack. Volvo's T- ride is only half as clever as Mack's camelback rear suspension, Eaton/Meritor axles will never last as long as Mack's double reduction ones, and Eaton trannies with their mere two countershafts will fail when a Maxitorque is just loosening up.

I'm surprised Volvo hasn't offered the Maxidyne engine and Maxitorque transmission in their Volvo trucks... But that would be admitting that Macks designs were superior. I suspect Volvo's Swedish management thinks of Mack trucks as the quaint product of a bunch of hicks from the sticks.

I think that in order for Mack to survive they need to remain price competetive as I belive some of you had said. I see very few large trucking companies who buy Mack trucks, I imagine its becasue Freightliners are cheaper. There are two companies around me who buy almost all Macks and they are Kane and Bolus; however, I noticed that Bolus does have a few Columbias. They did buy several new Visions this year though, some of which are still at the dealer. I hope they continue to support Mack and don't give way to Freightliners.

GearHeadGrrrl speaks the gospel here. The appealing part of Macks to this family was always the fact that there was Mack..and then there was everything else. Meaning if you wanted something different and better get a Mack...if you wanted the same ol thing take your pick between all 10 of the other manufacturers building the exact same truck save for the cab and hood emblems.

Old Mack designs are still vastly superior to anything new that has been introduced. The proof is on the road!! End of discussion!

• 1 month later...

MACK needs to treat MACK owners / buyers a little bit better than they do. My local MACK dealer is CLOSED on Saturday, ( their VOLVO shop is open 24/7 ) have to drive 2 hours each way to a MACK parts dept.

Try and get some response from MACK is next to impossible , get the run around about everything and basically got the THATS NICE when I told them my next trucks will not be MACK. VOLVO side is complete 180' turn around

MACK needs to treat MACK owners / buyers a little bit better than they do. My local MACK dealer is CLOSED on Saturday, ( their VOLVO shop is open 24/7 ) have to drive 2 hours each way to a MACK parts dept.

Try and get some response from MACK is next to impossible , get the run around about everything and basically got the THATS NICE when I told them my next trucks will not be MACK. VOLVO side is complete 180' turn around

Lets examine this for a moment.

My local MACK dealer is CLOSED on Saturday, ( their VOLVO shop is open 24/7 )

Just another way for Volvo to make Mack unattractive, and steer people to the Volvo brand.

Just another way for Volvo to make Mack unattractive, and steer people to the Volvo brand.

Does anyone else see a pattern here?

Volvo Exec's are the ones who ultimately call the shots on how every Mack & Volvo dealer is operated.

After enough customers get pissed off about poor service & parts availability at the Mack dealers and give up and buy competing brands, then Volvo will show the downturn in sales volume as "validation" of their intention to phase out Mack & make Volvo the predominant brand.

It's a shame!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I have two dealers within an hour and a half of me and both are open on saturdays. I have had great luck with both of them . Even on saturday 1 min from closing , i can call in for a part and they will leave it outside somewhere for me to pickup on sunday.

I think mack will always be a part of the trucking industry as long as their customers remain loyal and make their voice heard to the volvo exec's. If enough people yell they will hear us.

I will buy a 20 year old mack before I will buy a 2 year old volvo, freightliner , kenworth , or any of the othe cookie cutter trucks.

:mack1::mack1:

greg

I think mack will always be a part of the trucking industry as long as their customers remain loyal and make their voice heard to the volvo exec's. If enough people yell they will hear us.

That will only work if we all learn to yell in Swedish.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"