Mack 1, Deer 0

RowdyRebel

Driving in this morning to get loaded, had a little run-in with an overgrown rodent.

I was heading north...just before 3 AM....deer appeared in the road....BRAKE! BRAKE! BRAKE! (thud) Awwwwwwww crap. Too dark then to get any pics, so I stopped a little while ago on my way home.

l.jpg

Yeah, those are my skid marks in the road....trying to get slowed down...

The winner:

l.jpg

Tweaked it EVER so slightly...

l.jpg

...and the loser:

l.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rob will want that for the Road Kill Cafe he operates.

mike

I hope and pray it was scraped up and on it's way to the shop.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Guess i've been pretty lucky,never hit a deer, big truck or otherwise....my dad however was NOT so lucky! he bought a brand new Ford F-100 in 1976 (302 2-V,4 speed) this thing was his baby! he was coming home one night from where he parked his tractor,and out jumps a 200 pound buck! nothing he could do,kiiled the deer graveyard dead! totaled the pick-up,broke the frame just behind the engine mount,put Dad in the hospital overnight with a nasty bump on his head....he was sure pissed about wrecking his truck! Built Ford Tough? LOL!.............Mark

post-5836-0-90428600-1308173250_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-88071300-1308173257_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-02400300-1308173267_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-39071300-1308173277_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Those trucks cracked there under normal operation and time. Fixed several of them. The radius arm brackets also did a number on the frames in the same fashion. Shear loads are great and the damn frames are only about 10 gauge thick.

Chevy was no better but they busted in different places like the front of the rear springs at the hangers.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Those trucks cracked there under normal operation and time. Fixed several of them. The radius arm brackets also did a number on the frames in the same fashion. Shear loads are great and the damn frames are only about 10 gauge thick.

Chevy was no better but they busted in different places like the front of the rear springs at the hangers.

Rob

I agree! i've always been a "chevy man" (as far as light duty trucks) but i had an uncle who bought a LOADED cheyenne super in 1973,this very thing happened,frame broke in two right behind the shock mount,73 was also the year GM forgot? to put any drain holes in the sheetmetal,was a rustbucket inside of a year! while under warranty GM put on a new cab,front clip,and eventually replaced the cargo box,all this took place inside a year,and keep in mind,this was a garage kept vehicle that never saw winter! go figger?..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I agree! i've always been a "chevy man" (as far as light duty trucks) but i had an uncle who bought a LOADED cheyenne super in 1973,this very thing happened,frame broke in two right behind the shock mount,73 was also the year GM forgot? to put any drain holes in the sheetmetal,was a rustbucket inside of a year! while under warranty GM put on a new cab,front clip,and eventually replaced the cargo box,all this took place inside a year,and keep in mind,this was a garage kept vehicle that never saw winter! go figger?..............Mark

I got my start in the autobody trades in 74. At that time Chevy bedsides were a complete bolt on affair. It took longer to get the box off the frame to change the bedside(s) than it took to do the job. Cab corners, door shells, fenders, bent hoods in the hinge area(s), radiator support, cab mounts, etc were all gone within three years for the most part. I think it was the 1977 model year they started to use "galvaneal" type steel which is still in use today. Trouble is when the steel is welded, the coating is burned away and rust has a foothold. Back in those days, it used to pay real well to replace the floor inside the cargo bed too. I built a jig to invert the bed and it made the job slick when spotting in the xmembers; paint was certainly easy too.

I always like frame work on the pickups. A light tap in the frame horn and the whole frame would go "diamond", meaning one rail was further back than the other side. If the truck is blasted in the side, that side is most always short. Typically takes three towers on a rack or pulling system to correct the damage. I usually split the frame, straightened it up, butt weld back together, then weld the xmembers solid cause the rivets holding everything together have stretched. It was a much stiffer assembly when done than when built. However, if ever racked again, the frame is usually scrap. Used to be able to reframe a vehicle but no longer unless it is inside of year old and a high dollar unit. The cost is too great due to labor.

Rob