Pictures Of Thngs I'd Like To Take

rhasler

In keeping with the tradition of taking pictures of things pioneered by Other Dog, here are some more pictures of things. Mostly just because they're neat looking old steam powered generators.

post-6084-0-31086000-1302458324_thumb.jp

post-6084-0-37247400-1302458361_thumb.jp

Indeed! I even took a picture of a train engine with whitewall tires this week!

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

NICE!

There are three reciprocating steam driven generators in the basement of a building at Pratt university in Brooklyn. They all still work. If you look at the flywheel, it has the inertia type governor. As the flywheel comes up to speed, the offset weights push up against the spring and pull the connecting rod (disconnected and half laying on the ground). If the generator is loaded the engine will slow and the spring will push the weight, which pushes the connecting rod against the lever pulling on the rod going into the steam chest. That lets more steam into the engine to compensate for the load. As the generator is unloaded, the engine will try to run faster pushing the weights up against the spring which in turn closes the valve in the steam chest a little slowing down the engine.

Shame they are outside rusting away.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I worked for Pratts, forgot about those gens. They are still needed to power some of the schools equipment. I recall they are A C too. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I worked for Pratts, forgot about those gens. They are still needed to power some of the schools equipment. I recall they are A C too. Paul

Hey Paul,

The entire steam generator system down there is DC although there are two vintage diesel gen sets, one is from a battle ship! They had a motor-generator set running up until 2004 when the replaced the DC powered manual Otis elevators with modern elevators. The MG set converted 3 phase 208V AC to 120V DC.

I got a personal tour by Chief Engineer and steam aficionado Conrad Milster. He even started one of the engines for me, ran dead silent save for the terrifying knocking sound the flywheel counterweights make when it spins up. I even tried getting a job there and he even was willing to hire me if I had a boiler operators license since the steam pressure is over 100PSI. The only way to get one is you have worked with a boiler system for 5 or more years. But you need a boiler permit to work on a steam system. How you get one is beyond me, chalk one up for retarded government bureaucracy.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few more pictures of other stuff.

A truck donated to the local diesel technologies program. Probably recently donated, they have a couple of CV713's that are numbered from 272 and up.

post-6084-0-99463700-1304292709_thumb.jp

post-6084-0-64963300-1304292735_thumb.jp

post-6084-0-68653200-1304292791_thumb.jp

A firetruck.

post-6084-0-84231300-1304292928_thumb.jp

An International Loadstar at the diesel tech program.

post-6084-0-47343300-1304293175_thumb.jp

An old Swift Transportation truck at the diesel tech program.

post-6084-0-27110400-1304293280_thumb.jp

Spare parts for Rowdy

post-6084-0-08055800-1304293554_thumb.jp

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

An old Swift Transportation truck at the diesel tech program.

post-6084-0-27110400-1304293280_thumb.jp

Spare parts for Rowdy

post-6084-0-08055800-1304293554_thumb.jp

Apart from the color, that don't look much different than a new Swift truck after a week or two on the road.... :blink:

...and spare parts is ALWAYS good to have :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Indeed! I even took a picture of a train engine with whitewall tires this week!

My dad used to fire these one barrels in Radnor Yard here in Nashville he would tell me. He said these engines would kill a good man tring to shovel coal into it's fire box. Going up hill was murder on a man shoveling all the time up hill. He said you could sit down for a few moments if you were on a level stretch of track. In the winter you would always keep a fire in the fire box ready at a moments notice to pull out and do some switching of cars in the yard. He said a man could get fired for letting the fire go out because it took along time to get one started back in running conditions.

Glad he worked the extra board because I mighta been fatherless early in life.

mike

Mike

your dad was very correct. those small-med locos had to stay hot. In 2008 the English finished building a modern A1 class pacific called the Tornado. but they kept it just like the old ones.. you had to shovel. here is part 4 of a race that top gear did between a train car and bike. the guy in the train was about dead at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7G4TdHFxBk&feature=related